204 Ruger loads---primer question ?

Reemty J

Recently purchased a CZ 527 Varmint and have settled on the 39 SBK for coyotes, great BC on it, also..picked up RL-10X, Accurate 2230, Accurate 2520 and have seen some "pet loads" people have, just wondering what to do on primers.....not much locally and all I have are Remington 6 1/2's (1000) and CCI 450 (1500) do I keep looking or try one of these??

I have ordered a RUGER Model #26971 Caliber 204, with the intention of going after some coyotes and I need ANY and ALL info that I can get in relation to that rifle and caliber??
Any do's or don't on reloading.. I have quite a lot of experience in reloading but with the larger calibers but nothing as to the 204 or the 17 HMR. I need all the help and advice in that area that I can get?? Is there a forum that is devoted to those two Calibers of close??

CatShooter; I noticed in your post that you thought that the 61/2 primers were to thin and I went and looked at my stock and I have two boxes of 7 1/2's.. Would those work in the RUGER 204??
Like I said; I have the experience with the 300's but I am dumber than a box of rocks when it comes to my new rifle?

did Google search and came across the an article from Varmint Hunter Magazine (link below) which explained that the 6-1/2 was intended for low pressure applications such as the 22 Hornet and 218 Bee at 40,000 psi. SAAMI max for 204 is 57,500 psi. Based on that, I would go with the 7-1/2. For the record, I've shot only CCI 450.

Sounds silly, does your powder funnel handle 20 cal brass? Most are too big. Hate to see you get all set and ready to go and find a simple road block. Those 20's and 17's take special tooling.

I run Wolf Small Rifle Magnum primers in my .204. A buddy bought them by mistake and gave me 2000 of them so I decided to give them a try, just dropped the normal charge a little and worked back up. I've gotten very low SD's and ES's with them and 40 gr V-Max's. Winchester 748 has given me the best velocity but Benchmark has proven the most accurate and best consistency on velocity. Personally I've found the .204 a bit lacking on coyotes, have had a lot run off after being hit well. I prefer a 6mm, specifically my .243 win pushing either 62 grain Barnes VG's of Sierra 70 gr BK's around 3850 FPS. Haven't had one walk away with either of those but I will shoot what ever I have on hand or can grab the quickest if I see a 'yote!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.