2022 Winter Nilgai Hunt

I killed a big bull on the El Sauz with my 300 win mag. 200 grain ELDX didn't expand. First shot was money. Punched smooth through. Hit him 2 more times within 100 yards. First shot did him in as the others were back. YES they are tough. No they aren't Bullet proof. Problem is they don't bleed much. And the brush gets very thick. Fast. They make it to the brush then you're gonna catch hell.
Mine was running towards the bay LOL. Didn't wanna figure out how to pull him out of the water. Hence me machine gunning at him. I was floored that he soaked up that first shot like he did.
One of my funnest hunts. Spot and stalk. Can't wait to do it again someday.

I told you they was hard to kill I have shot 3 of them with my 338 lapua at 200 yards 300 gr. Accubon
"Hard to kill" is a bit relative. A penciling bullet as in trophy8's experience is not any kind of statement on a particular cartridges viability. A penciling bullet out of your 338 LM or a 375 Cheytac would not have had a noticeable improvement. Tissue needs to be displaced. That's where projos like the Hammers leverage performance. They hit fast, are extremely reliable in expansion & petal effect, and the flat shank pushes through with sustained speed which amplifies internal damage where it counts and creates elevated, sustained hydrostatic shock. I'd like to hear some personal experience/testimony on what happens when "Hammer meets Nilgai". Would love the chance myself!

I have some hammers loaded but didn't want take a chance on them because I no what the 330 accubon will do when they don't run to far and when go to clean them and there's nothing left on the in side so,if you are talking about hydrostatic shock you need take a look using one of them

I have some hammers loaded but didn't want take a chance on them because I no what the 330 accubon will do when they don't run to far and when go to clean them and there's nothing left on the in side so,if you are talking about hydrostatic shock you need take a look using one of them
Been there done that. ;) Have taken a large number of big game with them over the years. Used them before the Berger's. Accubonds generally perform very well. Just not as consistently as a properly served Hammer will in compromised shot angles in tough game, in my experience. I've had disappointments with AB's as I have all other conventionals. Only bullet that has never left me down are the Hammers. While I cannot in good conscience claim they will displace everything on the inside of a big nilgai (like your AB's), why not try them, then come back here and offer your input. Until then, it's hyperbole. 🤠 Thing is, there are many good bullets that will do the job for the OP if he has the right combination. We are fortunate to have so many good options.

cz-550 in .375 H&H for me, no tracking needed.

Attachments

• DSCN9030 (3).JPG
    DSCN9030 (3).JPG
    1,005.9 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCN8516 (2).JPG
    DSCN8516 (2).JPG
    278.9 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCN8492.JPG
    DSCN8492.JPG
    249.2 KB · Views: 137
Good job with your 375 but I will stick with my CA 338 LM so far haven't lost one yet headed to Alberta ca. At the end of September for another moose hunting . I switched over to a new ammo that really shoots good in my rifle it's a ruag Swiss 247 gr. 2870 FPS I'll let you guys no how dose good luck on you hunting this year

I killed a big bull on the El Sauz with my 300 win mag. 200 grain ELDX didn't expand. First shot was money. Punched smooth through. Hit him 2 more times within 100 yards. First shot did him in as the others were back. YES they are tough. No they aren't Bullet proof. Problem is they don't bleed much. And the brush gets very thick. Fast. They make it to the brush then you're gonna catch hell.
Mine was running towards the bay LOL. Didn't wanna figure out how to pull him out of the water. Hence me machine gunning at him. I was floored that he soaked up that first shot like he did.
One of my funnest hunts. Spot and stalk. Can't wait to do it again someday.
Nilgai are the funnest hunt there is in my book, and they can take a pounding and keep on going, you are correct when you say floored, when you put a big bullet in the sweet spot and they don't even check up.

Nilgai is legit one of the most fun hunts I've done. I've taken 4 of them with the 300wm. They are tough beasts but not bulletproof. Super tough/thick hide limits the blood trails. Most of the guides recommended a barnes bullet with a shoulder shot. Most shots were less than 200 yards. They had taken cows with as small as the 6.5cm with a Barnes. One of the guides used a 338 lapua with a lighter weight Barnes. He said it would literally dump them on the ground at times.

Here's a pic of a 200gr lrx that tumbled after hitting the spine and got caught in the offside hide.
689E1C5E-6050-4A1F-9C40-5583718BA7AD.jpeg

Just got back from Hunting the King Kenedy Trust Preserve (Jaboncillos Division) near Kingsville, TX. Only Nilgai hunting is allowed at this location. Used Sam Ilse at Lomas Chicas Outfitters. One guide per hunter. Outfitter was top notch. Saw a lot of Nilgai. Unless you ambush one, you are not getting too close. Shot my Bull at 465 yard with a 338LM with a 250 TSX bullet. The other hunter used a 300 WM at 350 yards. Would say the bigger the better in caliber selection. Not bullet proof, but shot placement is critical. Those animals like to run so a quick shot should be normal. Once they get into the trees, very hard to track due to all the animal trails and the Nilgai hide is self closing stopping a blood trail. Great hunt.

Last edited: