2019 Buck Almost Ready

Muddyboots

Stopped by Taxidermist and buck is in final drying stage. Been long wait from mid December 2019. He was buried from 2020 that he attributes guys spending more time in woods from Covid. Buck final score was 156 7/8. Hunted this guy for couple years on public land and finally got "all planets lined up" evening. He bedded 50 yards from highway in nasty swamp. I circled around the area with trekking poles so I could step quietly and balanced. You would have laughed at me seeing on knees picking up each leaf, stick etc with my fingers so absolutely no noise generated clearing a spot 300+ yards from him. I wanted zero noise and feel I got it. In fact, other deer came out early into hardwoods prob cause of zero noise. Public land deer are extremely sensitive to any foreign noise so hunker down till dark. Believe he saw other deer, dropped his guard and still almost got away when a doe fed up to 5 yards from me and started to stomp which got him nervous. Too late, had crosshair on him and made good shot. What is interesting is he is not the Big Guy that is still there. So if he got thru 2020, something to challenge me in 2021.

Attachments

• F3F4DC12-D3BE-4C5C-B7A4-9A0134CE073C.jpeg
    F3F4DC12-D3BE-4C5C-B7A4-9A0134CE073C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 151
Great buck, it's a real challenge to kill big deer on public land, especially where there is heavy pressure. And dont feel bad im still waiting on my bear mount from 2018, and an elk from 2019....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.