2012 Antelope

Farmkid

Just thought I would post up how my Wy hunt went. My brother-in-law and I took our families and drove about 900 miles from south eastern washington to Casper WY. We both had two doe tags each for 72 and we had no trouble filling both. One suggestion I have is get that gps chip that shows landowner boundries. I didn't and it made me a little worried about accidentely getting on private property.

We were real careful and didn't have any problems, but I think it would have been much easier if I had invested the money in the chip like I was originally planning.

Anyway on to the hunt. We went out opening morning and had a nice doe at between 2-300 yards but my brother-in-law tried to get closer and she spooked. A little while later he missed a nice one at 200 broadside. Evidentely he calmed down after that because the next one was 300 and he dropped it dead. The heard scattered and them came right back to where the they were standing. I told him to take his second one and he broke the front leg. She ran and then stopped broadside and 356. Now it was my turn. I have the BDC reticle in my nikon and didn't want to risk her taking off so I didn't dial, just held the 300 circle on her and dropped her dead in her tracks.

We packed those two out and decided to call it a morning. On the way back to camp a nice doe walked right across the road in front of us and stopped 200 yards out in a feel free to hunt area. My brother-in-law stepped out walked off the road to the fence line loaded up, took his time, and made a nice shot on a very dumb doe.

The next morning we only had my 1 tag to fill so we took both our failies out and spotted 2 does from the road. They were in a feel free to hunt area so we pulled off the road. I got out of my pickup got all proned out and ranged them at 495. Perfect conditions with everybody watching dialed for 500 squezzed the trigger and down went the biggest one.

However, I have a confession to make here. What I thought was a full size doe at almost 500 yards ended up being 1 of 2 loan fawns on the hill side. I felt a little sick when I got up to it and realized that I had shot a young of the year fawn, but I guess when you have antlerless tags that can happen. There were two together and from my perspective I could have sworn that they were both full sized does. If I had any question otherwise I would have bot taken the shot.

Anyway what was done was done so we got a little less meat from that one, but overall it was an awsome experience. This was my second time hunting antelope in wyoming and all I can say is that I can't wait to do it again. :D

The WY landscape is second to none. I did my first hunt out there this year and absolutely loved it.

I had a GPS and agree that it's invaluable. Two of the 3 antelope our group killed would not have been shot at without the chip. Only one was shot on a large HMA that was easy to tell the boundries. The rest of it was pretty spotty and the chip was a 'must have'.

I'd like to go back out this year to do a doe hunt, but both of my hunting partners have vacation time allocated to other things. I still plan on buying preference points for antelope and deer to make drawing easier in the future.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.