2011 Wyo. Whitetail

Magnumitis

I finally filled my late season whitetail tag on the morning of Nov. 29th. He was rutting hard and chasing a doe away from me, but made the fatal mistake of turning around to look at some deer behind him. That's when a 130 gr. AB from my 6.5-284 hit his shoulder from 341 yards away. He dropped instantly and I was relieved to say the least. It wasn't the long shot I was hoping for, nor is he a huge buck, but I feel very blessed for the shot opportunity the good Lord gave me! I consider him a great second to the last day buck :D... Also, have to say thanks to Mike for extending his season by doe hunting and giving me the intel on this buck while I was gone for Thanksgiving.

buck10.jpg

buck9.jpg

Congratulations, nice buck! I'd probably flip out if I saw something like that here in coastal Georgia (the local bucks would too!)
What powder/load were you using with that 130gn AB? JohnnyK.

I have been using H4350 with the AB but it was just a temporary load. I'm anxious to start using the new 127 gr. Barnes LRX.

Thanks! Yes, he broke off both G4s. One side looks old, the other is fresh. I wish he hadn't, but whaddya do.. :rolleyes:

How did I miss this?? I think hes an awesome second to last day buck, most guys around here never kill something that big.. Nice shootin Tom! FYI to everyone else his 6.5x284 is a very awesome rig, and he will NOT part with it... I have tried

Lol thanks guys. Mike is right, that gun is a "lifer" in my safe. 188MULE, I'll have to remember my load.. It was a temporary one; I threw it together real quick right before deer season started. I think it was 46.5 gr. of H4350 and was only going 2860 fps. Very weak, but it still passed thru. After using the 140 Bergers for two years, I was very pleased with how the 130 AB performed. By the way, the beard is gone haha.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.