20" barrel on 338 Lapua

I have fired a 20 inch 338 lapua barrel on a desert tech rifle. Fat bastard brake on it. I also have experience with a 26 incher with TBAC brake, and a 29 incher with a badger thruster brake.

I will say the shorter barrel rifle offered a good bit more BLAST and concussion when fired, but it was much handier than either of the longer barrels. I could see a use for it where you need to hit heavy, but maneuverability is most important.

The 26 incher in the DTA was blasty as well, but noticeably less so. The 29 inch was even less blasty than that.

All three barrels could smash steel at 700 yards (longest target here), obviously with the shorter barrel having a little more drop, but not so much that it was a problem. I will say that the 20 inch barrel would probably become a handicap if you are shooting LONG... but then I doubt you would pick a shorter barrel if thats the goal lol.

A 24 or 26 inch barrel will probably be much less specialized and much better suited for most situations I can think of fwiw.

That's a great analysis, I went with the 20, looking forward to better maneuverability with it.

Thanks
Redbullitt

Glad to be helpful! I am sure the rifle will work out well.

I have hunted in a lot of places where I would give up a lot of velocity in favor of having a shorter rifle to lug around... Where I normally hunt whitetail here you have two options. Sub 100 yard shots up close in the brush, or shoot from a hilltop 300 to 600 yards. Could not ask for better deer land to hunt lol. If I hunt from the top, long barrel gets the nod. If I go into the lower wooded area, 16 inch 308 comes or the SBR 12 inch 44 mag comes along.

Generally I take a long rifle and a short rifle and use whatever fits the situation better! I think that short 338 will do well with a bit of handloading, and work very well on most anything you could ever find to shoot.

What brake are you going to use? As long as you wear good ear protection I doubt you will have much trouble with the short barrel noise and concussion. Long range sessions will wear on you for sure, but in most situations I doubt it will be a problem.

I found this to be informative.
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/07/muzzle-brake-comparison-test-by-precision-rifle-blog/

I particularly like the APA fat bastard series and the badger thruster if you need something a bit lower profile. Very noticeable effect with the APA brakes, especially on the big 30s and 338s. I have never liked the 360 style brakes at all fwiw. Seems the gill style have always cut the most recoil for me, while blowing a lot less dirt on my face.

Glad to be helpful! I am sure the rifle will work out well.

I have hunted in a lot of places where I would give up a lot of velocity in favor of having a shorter rifle to lug around... Where I normally hunt whitetail here you have two options. Sub 100 yard shots up close in the brush, or shoot from a hilltop 300 to 600 yards. Could not ask for better deer land to hunt lol. If I hunt from the top, long barrel gets the nod. If I go into the lower wooded area, 16 inch 308 comes or the SBR 12 inch 44 mag comes along.

Generally I take a long rifle and a short rifle and use whatever fits the situation better! I think that short 338 will do well with a bit of handloading, and work very well on most anything you could ever find to shoot.

What brake are you going to use? As long as you wear good ear protection I doubt you will have much trouble with the short barrel noise and concussion. Long range sessions will wear on you for sure, but in most situations I doubt it will be a problem.

I found this to be informative.
Muzzle Brake Comparison Test by Precision Rifle Blog « Daily Bulletin

I particularly like the APA fat bastard series and the badger thruster if you need something a bit lower profile. Very noticeable effect with the APA brakes, especially on the big 30s and 338s. I have never liked the 360 style brakes at all fwiw. Seems the gill style have always cut the most recoil for me, while blowing a lot less dirt on my face.

Just finished yesterday, 20" barrel with Harrell's precision muzzle break machine to match contour. Thanks for the article.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.