2 dog day....

BigBamBoo

Woke up yesterday morning and decided I had not gone coyote hunting in a while and had noting bettering to do. Sat around procrastinating whether to go or not, and finally decided to load up and get at it.

With my late start, I did not figure on having much luck...but there are way more ways to spend my Saturday that are not as fun as hiking around.

My first stand was...well...kinda a bad setup. Totally my own doing, mind you. The wind was wrong, I could not see a lot of areas, etc.
But since I did not want to stomp around anymore then I already had, I said what the heck.

Hit the call....about 7 min into it I see a coyote coming from my left. It was in and out of the trees and rock and hung up behind a big bush (see 2nd picture).
I am sure it could smell be by the way it was acting. I hit pup in distress hoping that would bring it in....and while I was focused on that one...I glance to my right and here come TWO young ones running in.

By the time I was able to swing around and get on them, they were at the call and exploded out of there.
I start woofing and one looks back at me....BOOM head shot! Dropped it at 80+ yards.

The other two got away.

So...now I am kinda happy but bummed that I let myself setup such a crummy stand.

I head to another spot....it is getting hot now....but I set out and hike a couple of miles to an area of lots of little draws and canyons.

Hit the call...waiting....waiting...some more waiting. Look at the call and I am at about 16 mins. into it. Just about to change sounds and see some movement across the draw. I had ranged the whole area so I knew it was about 300 yards to where he was, but boy it looked farther then that.

We sat there for a good 2-3 mins and it did not look like her was going to come in. So I turn the scope to 6X and put the 300 yard hash mark on his shoulder and let her fly. Dog down!

Nice young male.

It was getting pretty warm and by the time I got back to the truck, I decided two stands and 4 yotes called was a good day.

Oh....and if anyone is interested in the rifle....info here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1146519

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1158797

image upload

pic hosting

screenshot windows 7

screengrab

upload images free

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.