1903 A-3 build.

SAM1980

hey guys I'm new to this forum deal. I have owned this particular rifle, most of my adult life, it was a gift from my father. who is a huge 30.06 fan. I am currently looking into cutting my teeth at longer range target shooting. Just trying to get some ideas about which upgrades to go with in this action. the smith here at home has even mentioned re barreling to a different caliber. I'm pretty sure that one broke my fathers heart, so probably going to stick with the old faithful. I use the rifle to hunt deer here in N.C., and the occasional trip out west for elk. I will be reloading for the heavier bullets i.e. 180's to 210's. not real sure on the barrel length or twist rate. maybe a new trigger. stock, etc. any input would be great.

I'd do a sporter with a monte carlo type stock (HTG, Manners T1/T3) and drilled and tapped for a modern scope base. If the barrel is in good shape, leave it alone. 10 or 11 twist should shoot everything.

I have talked to the smith about machining the receiver for a 20 moa rail, but he is worried about it being over hardened. I have already purchased my optic and mounts, but might have to go different route because of this.

If the 1903A3 is in original condition I would not hack it up. It is worth the price of a new rifle to a collector. If it has already been hacked up you can make a pretty good hunting rifle out of it and use it for informal target work. The action is a little slow for real target work.

I fully agree about it being a slower action. I know that technology has come leaps and bounds since WWI, but after shooting with it for 15+ years I have become pretty proficient with it. needless to say I'm attached too it. just looking to make any viable upgrades to make it the best it can possible be.

We must have been typing at the same time. Those Springfield actions are ROCK HARD. It takes a new sharp bit and plenty of cutting oil just to drill and tap for a scope. If you are going to have to do all that type of work you would be much better off finding a donor Remington 700 or Savage rifle used and use that action. A Savage action with the Accu-trigger on it would be a good way to go. You can then get you a ready made barrel from many different places and put the barrel on yourself. All you need is a vice with a block of hard wood sawed in two pieces with a hole drilled through it at the meeting of the two pieces a little smaller round than your barrel. This is used to clamp the barrel into a vice. Put a go head space gauge in the chamber and screw the action on to the barrel until it stops then using a barrel nut wrench tighten up the nut and your done. You just saved yourself a few hundred dollars and that includes the price of the tools. Now you can get new barrels in different calibers and change them yourself.:D The Savage action is the tinker toy for big boys.:D

and to answer your question yes it has already been hacked up, dad paid 250 bucks for the rifle at a gun show many years ago

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.