17 WSM rimfire missle

woodnut

Don't know how many of you have tried the fairly new rimfire, the 17 WSM. But, I have and it is awesome! Like the comparison between the .22 and .22 mag., the difference between the 17 HMR and the 17 WSM is way beyond their size. I know the .22 mag hits way harder than it looks like it would, and the WSM is just like that.
Accuracy in my Ruger 77 is outstanding and at 200 yards it makes eggs explode! :DWe even shot clay targets at 300 yards! Wind wasn't a problem either.
My introduction to the cartridge was during a prairie dog shoot last June. I was hooked! I think this will be a fine varmint cartridge to take up to coyote size critters. Like all shooting, know your range and limitations. I wouldn't hesitate to whack grounghogs to 200 yards and even yotes to there.
I know Ruger, Marlin, Winchester, Volquartsen, an AR building firm and Savage make rifles and ammo around here is plentiful and Natchez often puts it on sale.
This seems to be a sleeper! I sure hope more people find out about it and get one to enjoy it.

I think the Ruger is the first decent rifle to be offered in 17WSM. The Savage Bmag 1 and 2 were both widely reported to be absolute garbage and after my experience with one of the most expensive Savage 22mags, I will never get another Savage Rimfire unless they do something completely different to what they are doing now.

I personally don't know who will want to spend $1100+ on a Volquartsen which shoots non reloadable ammo which is just about impossible to buy and of quite dubious quality. I think that Winchester has actually stopped making the 25gr ammo, which was the recommended weight for coyotes. For the most part, all you can buy now is the 20gr stuff which is getting to be light for coyotes.

If MI DNR would allow sportsmen to use the 17 or 22 Hornet, it would be a far superior solution with much reduced ammo cost and the ability to tailor the load to your individual rifle. But of course since it has remained rimfire only for the last who knows how many years (22lr and 22mag) I must be stupid for thinking that anything could change...

Westcliffe01, I hear ya about the DNR! Here in Va. I'm believing they want to stop hunting. The reg. book needs a college education to read and understand. Too many "gotchas" and I believe it's a big cause of the decline in license sales.
Back to the 17WSM. Have you shot it? One of my friends bought the Savage and while it is accurate, he doesn't like the balance; too light in the backend and I agree. The Ruger needs trigger tuning but will also shoot accurately when it's done. Don't know anything about the others though. But what a rimfire cartridge!

Westcliffe01, I hear ya about the DNR! Here in Va. I'm believing they want to stop hunting. The reg. book needs a college education to read and understand. Too many "gotchas" and I believe it's a big cause of the decline in license sales.
Back to the 17WSM. Have you shot it? One of my friends bought the Savage and while it is accurate, he doesn't like the balance; too light in the backend and I agree. The Ruger needs trigger tuning but will also shoot accurately when it's done. Don't know anything about the others though. But what a rimfire cartridge!

I see a store in my area is offering Savages with heavy stainless barrels/laminated stocks. Don't know if this is a special run and if they'd be any more accurate than the plastic pencil-barreled ones. At any rate, like the poster above, I've been burned by their rimfires and low-end centerfires. (e.g. M25) so if I did want a .17 WSM it would have to be the Ruger - but I'd expect bug hole groups (not likely) at that price.

The reports on the heavy barrel Bmags are just as bad as the previous ones. If you take any Savage rimfire action out the stock, you will see that it is a virtually impossible action to bed in any reliable fashion. Just a very poor design. For that reason, going with an aftermarket stock will bring some, but not all the improvement needed for a reliable rifle.

On the other hand, everything on the Ruger is quality. Stock, action, barrel, trigger. Being a rimfire, there is no scope to "tune" your loads and there is very little in the way of factory ammo. In fact I would say that today, the situation on ammo is actually worse with the 22 mag since you cant get any of it, regardless of how many variants are advertised in the stores.

I own the Ruger 77/17 in the WSM. It shoots well under 1 MOA at 100 yds. I used it with jackrabbits this fall. Devastating. As for ammo availability, I have several hundred stockpiled, and my dealer has it on the shelf (along with 22 WMR) in great supply. I actually sold my first 17 WSM and supply of ammo because it wouldn't group. The rifle was a Gen 1 Franklin Armory. My dealer told me that the first batches of 17 WSM ammo were recalled, and part of the accuracy problem. But I didn't like the vibration and FTF problems of the Franklin. The bolt Ruger, however, is a laser beam! I did end up removing the extremely heavy trigger and replacing it with an aftermarket drop in group.

I am assuming you mean the 20gr ammo. The 25gr ammo appears to be discontinued for the moment.

What 22wmr ammo is for sale in the store ? None of the major distributors have had any for years. I am always looking for 40gr+ 22wmr ammo.

Correct, AE 20gr in 17 WSM. Sorry, only 30gr in 22WMR. But last I checked, there was a ton of both at my LGD's

I bought a used b-mag with a 3-9 banner on it, yes I thought this was a cheap rifle but I had to try the rimfire.although the b mag looks cheap the bolt operates roughly for just a few , I can shoot 5 in a dime at 100 yards , and rip a fox at 200, still a good buy u gotta love the 17WSM

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.