.17 super mag? accuracy????

jeepnsammys

got the new savage b mag! really excited to shoot it and finally got a case of the 20 grainers! long story short after 100 rounds and did all the proper cleaning before during and after this gun shoots terrible!!! at 100 yards 3" groups at best!! i have a 17 hornet that is better but still a long ways from a tack driver. anyone else have one of these rifles with similar results or did i get to lemons? gun)

got the new savage b mag! really excited to shoot it and finally got a case of the 20 grainers! long story short after 100 rounds and did all the proper cleaning before during and after this gun shoots terrible!!! 3" groups at best!! i have a 17 hornet that is better but still a long ways from a tack driver. anyone else have one of these rifles with similar results or did i get to lemons? gun)

Its a rimfire, I get better accuracy when the barrel is fouled and I don't clean until the accuracy diminishes. Granted I don't have 17wsm but it works for all my rimfires 17M2-22mag. Check out Rimfire Central Im sure there a lot on the 17wsm over there.

Its a factory gun and they are probably battling with output.. I no longer expect any factory gun to shoot, so I seldom have surprises...

Check the usual things:
Barrel free floated (plastic stocks need at least playing card thickness clearance, not $ bill)
Action bedded (bet not, plastic stock, right ?)
Tang free floated
Visit a FFL and look at the chamber, throat and crown carefully. If its junk, send it back
How is the trigger ?
Look at the firing pin strikes on the brass. Consistent, light ?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.