.17 HMR barrel break-in?

bowhunthard88

Just curious, what do you think about barrel break-in on a .17 HMR? Is it required, could it help? I know it can't hurt..., just not sure if it's worth the time. If it is something I should do, should I proceed like it's a centerfire?

Thanks.

Never heard of anyone breaking in their 17 hmr barrel, I suppose you could try to if it made you feel better ...in fact Ive heard more people than not say they shot much better dirty. I found that to be true as well on both my CZ's. They both shot noticeably better after the first 25 rounds and even better after 50 from a squeaky clean barrel.

Just curious, what do you think about barrel break-in on a .17 HMR? Is it required, could it help? I know it can't hurt..., just not sure if it's worth the time. If it is something I should do, should I proceed like it's a centerfire?

Thanks.

Your choice.

I think it helps to break any rifle barrel in.

There are a lot of pros and cons on this issue but I have proven to my own satisfaction that
it makes a big difference in barrel fouling and accuracy.

I have even taken a rifle that was not broken in and cleaned it to bright metal and then
used the standard break in and it improved both fouling and accuracy.

I break in all of my barrels now.

Also I test each barrel after break in by shooting consecutive rounds until accuracy falls off.
All barrels will reach this point at different times. once the barrel has fouled it may be a
consistant grouper but the groups are normally larger than a clean barrel group.

Just My opinion based on My experiences.

J E CUSTOM

My Savage 93R 17 took around 200 rounds before it settled down and began shooting decent. And by decent I mean 1" groups at 100 yards ( CCI 17 Grain ) so yes I think any barrel needs some time of break in or burnishing. I cleaned after every 25 rounds fired. Expected more from this rifle but oh well.

I've almost finished initial break-in. My other .17 HMR shot great, but it preferred the Hornady 17 gr. V-Max, and was sub 1/2 moa up to 150 yds. I guess I'll have to find out what this one will do.

Depends on if you wear out your gun cleaning it all the time. I believe the guns in the lower price end do shoot better dirty because the fouling smoothes out the rough surface of their bore. I do believe in letting to groups tell you when its time to clean. Shoot the gun and enjoy it. Buy a benchrest gun and worry all the time about everything.

I figured out today my savage 93r17 likes cci 20g fmj when its hot and alil windy.....

ForumRunner_20120705_131322.png

100 yards with 8-12mph left to right wind...3 shots, good tape....

I figured out today my savage 93r17 likes cci 20g fmj when its hot and alil windy.....

View attachment 10736

100 yards with 8-12mph left to right wind...3 shots, good tape....

Have you tried the 20 grain Gamepoints (CCI) or the 20 grain XTP's (Hornady)? Both of these shot lights out in my first 17. They also grouped better than the 20 grain FMJ's and their performance on critters was great.

Browninglover1 said:
Have you tried the 20 grain Gamepoints (CCI) or the 20 grain XTP's (Hornady)? Both of these shot lights out in my first 17. They also grouped better than the 20 grain FMJ's and their performance on critters was great.

No I haven't, I was low on 17s and Walmart was sold out of hornady federal and winchester so I bought a box of cci 20g fmj and a box of cci 17g tnts....mine didn't used to like eather of them but today both, even in the wind, could shoot all day into a quarter at 100...shot a dime with the first two in the clip but couldn't find it in the scope so I shot the quarter with the remaining three...put 4 out of five into a 8" disk blade at 500 and a few with the fmjs, the hollow points go nuts after bout 200...

I guess im lucky. My H&R hasn't shot a group over 1.5" with any ammo I've stuffed in. Most much less. I never broke it in. I don't shoot groups anymore but the ground squirrels don't know that. I also don't clean it but once a year when I do maintenance on all the rifles I don't use much, unless Its raining when I take it out. I guess try it. it cant hurt anything, but I wouldn't expect too much. If its a shooter it will stay a shooter. If its a turd....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.