147eldm 6.5x284 Norma Load Data

Here is the list of base/ogive measurents along with oal....
Am I wrong....aren't the base/ogive measurements supposed to be the same with any bullet put into brass...isn't that the idea..because tips deform and some are long and pointed and some blunt....
I did try to be as exacting as I could...however I was using a lapua brass and and setting it to lower the bolt without restriction....
Maybe I need to go back to school on this....but several of our other rifles sure do shoot really good...

Attachments

• 2191.jpeg
    2191.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 178
Here is the list of base/ogive measurents along with oal....
Am I wrong....aren't the base/ogive measurements supposed to be the same with any bullet put into brass...isn't that the idea..because tips deform and some are long and pointed and some blunt....
I did try to be as exacting as I could...however I was using a lapua brass and and setting it to lower the bolt without restriction....
Maybe I need to go back to school on this....but several of our other rifles sure do shoot really good...

BTO from one type of bullet or grain to another is not going to be the same. Has to do with the angle of the ogive where it contacts your comparator.

I used to use either the Hornady OAL gauge or the cleaning rod/collet method, but it was always some variance out of 10 measurements. It's really hard to be consistent on how much force you are putting on the bullet to find touch.

Below is the best method I have ever found by far. Dead nuts accurate as many times as you want to try it. Also interesting that I found out my touch was actually about .005 jammed using my old method. Your mileage may vary, but this is really accurate for me and there's no extra tools necessary.

Hey guys...recently had a 65/284 norma rechambered in a 24.5" shilen barrel for my remington 700 action...

My closest with a Berger 140 vld is only 3.119...and a friend has his and another buddies shooting nosler 142 lrabs at 3.249"

My touch with 140 Berger VLD'S is 3.140 and my reamer has .180 freebore. So you aren't that far off from what I have.

I spent the last few hours in my loading room(garage) rechecking my figures....here is revised....and these are or could be my starting load coals....
A couple changed for longer oal..a couple shortened..couple stayed the same.....
I just know there is such a variance that I will be awhile figuring out all these 1204171713.jpg loads......well of the ones I want...couple are just plinking loads...
But of course old lady winter dumped a bunch of snow on us last night.....and now it is supposed to be in the teens....might not shoot for a while.....and I have a mzldr elk tag....is there such a thing as too cold to go hunting.....

I also on a whim measured about 15 of the new lapua brass...
Noslers book says the max oal is 3.228"....brass is 2.170"...
Well my measurements came up shy of the 2.170"....most were 2.160" +/-...some were 2.157"....so I lost .010-.013 right from the brass....but if they were 2.170 that means more bullet into the case...so am I starting of extremely bad here or what...

Don't mean to harass you too bad....but do you have the info from the other barrels....or,could you do a,quick test on this barrel...
Just,curious what,your,rifle,will,seat....
Sorry about the commas....new wrist brace and phone...most of the time I cant hit spacebar.....

Not sure what to say about that. 54 grains gave me 3000 feet with only 10 rounds down the barrel. Decreased charge as the barrel sped up and I settled at 53.6 for 3015.

Varmints are showing up here so I shot it yesterday in 30° weather over the chrony. Right at 3000 fps, used that dope to shoot the 800 yard gong, then drove up the river and shot a coyote at 550. So I'd day it's right.

27.5 inch Brux Fed 210M's, OAL of 3.105

Probably the fact my barrel is 24 vs your 27.5 is the difference. That could add 100+ fps right there.

My touch with 140 Berger VLD'S is 3.140 and my reamer has .180 freebore. So you aren't that far off from what I have.

Well I removed the ejector and did the test....
With Berger 140 vld(hunters) I didn't touch at 3.116"... and suggested jump is .007" start...
With LRAB 142 I didn't touch at 3.123"...suggested jump is .050"
so that puts me at 3.073"...
This throat just seems very short...as compared to a lot of numbers I am seeing out there.....
And what bullet was SAAMI using to get 3.228".....

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.