129 grain SST in Man Bun

I tested 129sst bullets in my 1 in 8 twist 6.5-284 @ 3300fps they didn't make the target just smoke.

Used a 130gr many times in 270 and 95gr in 243. Close it may come out of cup and fragment a lot, but if shot behind shoulder deer is usually DRT. 150 yds and further or so does real well. And it may not fragment to bad every time but will most close. Basically I'm saying close range I dont advise shoulder shot, meat waste and bullet could fail. Stay behind shoulder and all is good.
Or ever a shoulder unless nothing else is available on the last day last minute and it won't move six inches to tuck it in behind the shoulder.

That shot is well beyond what I would want to do with that load. But I'm not going to argue with the shooter either. He's hunted alot more than I have.
Funny thing is Wayne for decades would never have taken that shot with that caliber or bullet weight.

My parents have put down several with this combo and it always works:

Antelope doe @ 530yd through the shoulder, DRT
Antelope buck @ 568yd behind the shoulder, 60 yard run, lots of blood
Antelope buck @ 200yd behind the shoulder, didn't go 20
Mule deer buck @ 80 yards through shoulder, DRT

All these produced pretty substantial internal damage with 2+ inch exit wounds. Muzzle velocity is 2920FPS.

I picked up a box of 129 grain SST in 6.5 and want to work up a load in my 6.5 man bun. Goal is a 120-180 lb whitetail deer slayer out to 300 yards without much fuss. Probably will load over Superformance.

Anyone got experience with the 129 grain SST in deer sized game?
Should work just fine, just avoid the shoulder or you will ruin a lot of meat...
The SST has always been a favorite of mine.

The SST is a good bullet, but it will make a mess with a shoulder shot. I prefer neck/high shoulder shots. I use them in my 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor and .308.

It's a 6.5 manbun, if you just throw an empty piece of brass in the chamber, close the bolt and squeeze the trigger, the animal despite a projectile being launched will be so scared of what could have just happen, they will instantly die with no meat damage!! Perks of your cartridge selection!!

Last edited: