120 or 140 gr in 7mm-08

Buzzsaw

To me the 140 grain bullets seem to make more sence for hunting (deer sized game) but I see many 7mm-08 shooters loading the 120 gr ballistic tips and Barnes TTSX bullets. What do you think?

If you're considering long range hunting, then you'd ideally want a bullet that will provide the necessary terminal performance at impact velocity.

Your twist may dictate the longest/heaviest/highest BC bullet you can expect to stabilize reasonably well. And, your cartridge may limit MV.

Hence, you can compare ballistics curves relative to factory ammo or estimated MV and determine which bullet appears to provide optimum range/performance for your rifle.

Magnums will usually perform well on paper with the heavy bullets. And, non-magnums will often prefer the medium weight bullets.

Lighter FB bullets often provide best accuracy at shorter ranges and as they reach their mid-range targets faster, they're often preferred for varmints that may be on the move and don't often afford a lot of time for dialing trajectory.

Because Barnes bullets are essentially all copper, they're lighter than lead jacketed bullets of the same shape/size. Hence, you can typically figure on stepping down one weight class.

In the end, theory goes out the window and it hinges on you working up a good load for your rifle and having the dope and confidence to make the shot.

-- richard

Hey Buzzsaw you didn't mention what barrel length you have for your 7mm-08?
I have a Tikka T3 with a 23.875" barrel that shoots the Berger 140 grn. Hunting VLD at 2850 with IMR 4064 and is a one hole shooter. I have tried 150 grn. Sierras with equally accurate results but those Bergers do the job on Deer I can tell you that for a fact. I think if you stay in that weight range you could hunt anything you would want to with the 7mm-08. I could never get the accuracy out of the Barnes bullets in my rifle !

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.