7MM-08 with 140 vld's

gerryb

Has anyone used this combo on deer? I was thinking of trying if some of you think they will work good.
thanks

I'm working on one for my Sako 85 right now. Waiting for a nice day to test. I have fired one three shot group with a modest charge of RE-15 resulting in a nice tight clover leaf. Before I declare this load the Holy Grail, I need to duplicate it.

I will update...

I have been happy with the 168 burgers in my 7mm-300win mag wildcat. I am confident that you will feel the same with your 7mm-08 and burgers. As for my 7mm-08 I have been shooting Nosler Ballistic tip's. 120's and 140's. With the 120's My cousin shot a cow elk at 80 yrds and it made it about 30 yrds and tipped over.. My wife smoked a big Black tail buck at 120 yrds with the 140's. It went through both shoulder's and it didn't move.. I do like the BC of the Berger's, but as far as you reasonably shoot while hunting with this caliber, bullet options are huge..
Jesterg

I use the berger 140gr vld's in the ruger compact 7mm-08. So does my wife.
We are getting around 2550-2600 fps out of them with Varget powder. They work pretty good. I have used the Hornady 139 gr sst for several yrs also. The berger is a little more accurate usually around 1-1/2 inch out of my rifle and 1 inch out of my wifes. I get 2650 out of the ssts and the groups are not quite as good. I sight them in at 250 and with a little Kentucky windage they are good for 300 yds.

Thanks I have a fast barrel as I shoot 140 bt with 43.5 IMF 4064 and get over 2900 fps. Again no pressure signs a nd have loaded the brass 6 times so far

I load 140 vld's in my wife's 7mm-08 with 42 grains of RL-15 they're flyin just a hair over 2800 fps and get under a 1" group at 200 yrds and this is out of a 20" savage axis. She has killed 2 deer and an elk with the berger's and they perfomed flawlessly!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.