117 gr sst for deer

Landkiller

Who has used Hornaday 117 SST's on whitetail in 25-06 rem.? I have a new rifle that loves em' but I have no experience with this bullet. Thanks,

I think you will find the 117 SST in the 25-06 quite impressive for our southern whitetails. I have shot them from my 257 WBY and the results are impressive. I also have a friend who shoots them with the 257 Roberts and allthough not as emphatic the performance is more than adequate. You can read about 25-6 performance on game on the attached site.

I have switched to the 115 partition or the 115 VLD in the 257 WBY the reslts are impressive. I had to watch the big shoulder bones at wby velocities at 25-06 velocities I would expect excellent results.

.25-06 Remington

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Used them for a few years in a 25 wssm. Worked very well. Good expansion, always exited any whitetail I shot. Would still use but usually just shoot my 7mm.

That bullet never failed me and performed extremely well on game.

I have shot 2 Michigan whitetails with that bullet, both at about 70yds, 1st one, hit was the base of the neck broadside (He was in full rut so his neck was pretty thick at that point) bullet broke his neck and the bullet was under the skin on the off side, the bullet itself was flat as a dime and about as wide as one also, totally spent, the jacket picked off the lead, 2nd one was quartering away, bullet entered about at the short rib, and lodged n the base of the neck, bullet was in the same shape as the one above.
All and all those 2 performed well I guess, at that range with the 25-06, that's asking allot of a cup and core bullet.. so if your gun shoots them well you shouldn't have to much of a issue with running them into deer, I feel that at 100 plus yds it should work very well..

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.