• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED 11/111 Long Range Hunter savage

Scoot2403

I am looking at a Savage 11/111 Long Range Hunter 300 win mag. looking at buying one need to know Pros and Cons and what they shoot like. Looking for help from anyone who knows about them or has one! Also suggestions about the Rem. LE 300 win mag. Pros/ Cons. which is better! thanks for the help!

Its a Savage, so there isn't much bad news. In its factory form, it will be kinda light for a 300 mag, but it has the brake, so that will help. The accu-trigger is loved by some, and hated by others. I replaced mine with RifleBasix SAV2, which is easy to do yourself if you end up in the hate crowd. The real attraction to Savages in general is the ease of doing upgrades yourself, up to and including installing new barrels (it requires some specific tools, but they are not terribly expensive) if you need room to grow later on. Stocks are available from a growing number of suppliers in just about any style you want.

I have the 11/111 LRH in .300 Win Mag. I wouldn't exactly say that it's light for a .300WM. If you plan on doing any long range hunting, I'm assuming you're going to put something up to at least a 14 power... maybe higher. i have a VX3 6.5-20X50. That coupled with a bipod, my rifle is prob in the 12 pound range. Plenty heavy for stable shots and recoil reduction. Especially with the break.

Couple things I should mention... I'm not super impressed with the out of the box accuracy. I did the barrel break in, according to Savage and the rifle probably has about 250-300 rounds down the barrel. I usually clean the bore every 50 rounds. I shoot 185gr Berger VLDs pushing about 3000fps. 100 yd groups aren't bad... but I was hoping for slightly better. But with that being said, I've had no problems killing steel out to 1000yds. Rifle has two kills on it, both antelope. one at 350 yards and one at 500 yards. Both good clean kills. So, it has gotten the job done so far. Taking it to WY at the end of the month for antelope and deer, so I'll have a better evaluation of it by mid October.

Also... The muzzle break is terribly loud for some reason. I also have a Rem Sendero in .300WM with a break. That factory break on the Savage is really rough on the ears. I know this doesn't matter much at the range, but if you don't wear any ear protection in the field, be prepared.

hey thanks guys. I have a vortex viper PST 6-24x50 to put on it. I am looking for a long range rifle and have turrets built for it. it does need to be a tack driver but at the same time i would like it to shoot tight groups.

THERE WAS A 300 WIN MAG SAVAGE 111 LONG RANGE HUNTER ON THIS SITE FOR SALE A WEEK OR SO AGOgun)

I have the 11/111 LRH in .300 Win Mag. I wouldn't exactly say that it's light for a .300WM. If you plan on doing any long range hunting, I'm assuming you're going to put something up to at least a 14 power... maybe higher. i have a VX3 6.5-20X50. That coupled with a bipod, my rifle is prob in the 12 pound range. Plenty heavy for stable shots and recoil reduction. Especially with the break.

Couple things I should mention... I'm not super impressed with the out of the box accuracy. I did the barrel break in, according to Savage and the rifle probably has about 250-300 rounds down the barrel. I usually clean the bore every 50 rounds. I shoot 185gr Berger VLDs pushing about 3000fps. 100 yd groups aren't bad... but I was hoping for slightly better. But with that being said, I've had no problems killing steel out to 1000yds. Rifle has two kills on it, both antelope. one at 350 yards and one at 500 yards. Both good clean kills. So, it has gotten the job done so far. Taking it to WY at the end of the month for antelope and deer, so I'll have a better evaluation of it by mid October.

Also... The muzzle break is terribly loud for some reason. I also have a Rem Sendero in .300WM with a break. That factory break on the Savage is really rough on the ears. I know this doesn't matter much at the range, but if you don't wear any ear protection in the field, be prepared.

My Savages had the "Tupperware" stocks originally, I guess the Long Range Hunters have a more solid stock now. After the rebuilds, my rifles are about 11 and a half pounds in their laminated stocks, without bipods. On the noise issue- NEVER SHOOT A BRAKED RIFLE WITHOUT EAR PROTECTION. EVER. I use electronic earplugs, and will not go hunting without them ever again.