1-10 twist 22-250

jtr1997

I have a ruger American 22-250 with a 1-10 twist rate. Just curious as to what powders and bullets people are using in this twist rate. I have used varget and imr 4064 so far with 69 Sierra matchking hpbt. Was wondering if anybody had any luck with 70 Berger vld?

Sierra says 1 in 10 or faster for the 69 grain SMK Berger says 1 in 8 for the 70 grain VLD. You're probably going to keyhole with the 1 in 10 twist.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

I would take a hard look at the 69 grain Sierra Matchking and Tipped Matchking, along with the Hornady 68 BTHP. RL-17 is the way to go with these bullets in a 22-250. The 53 VMAX, also using RL-17, is worth consideration, too. It can be pushed fast enough to run with the heavies waaaay out there.

After running some data through the Berger twist calculator, it looks like the Hornady 75 BTHP will also work in your 22-250. I would expect RL-17 to be a top choice with this bullet, as well.

Ok thanks I got a promising group with h1000 a br2 primer and the 69 match King hpbt. 2 in one hole then I pulled the third over half an inch

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts