Your dream rifle

All -

Howdy !

I have one of mine.....

I wanted a Marlin M-336 XLR in .35 Remington, to use in " Factory Class " score shoots; and not for use on live game. I had myself all self-hypnotized that I could find an example w/ an outstandingly low trigger pull.

Initially located 2ea in Oklahoma, where I live. One was in a local gun shop, looking like it had sat collecting filth fro a couple of years. While the gun was made intro old Marlin CT factory, I still delayed purchase due to financial challenges.

Upon hearing that Marlin was selling-out to Remington, I immediately became concerned all CT-made Marlin levers would graduate to being " unobtainium ". I explained my concerns to Dollface, and she agreed to my doing a 3 payment purchase; something the gun store agreed to.

I picked the gun up, and cleaned away the incredible amount of filth on it.
Apparently, a lot of Oakes had looked @ it and fondled it but.....had no use for the rifle; locally.

Much to my pleasant surprise, the rifle had escaped the CT plant w/ a. 1.5oz ( yes ounce ) trigger !!!
Mayber there's something to this self-hypnosis stuff, after all ?!

All of the rifle's stainless surfaces were well polished, and matching superbly.. These were complimented by as nice of laminated walnut wood work as I have encountered on a rifle.

I had figured that having an ability to shoot something around a 5/8" 5-shot group would

My avatar says it all, but I'd really really like to own my neighbor's 60's vintage, never fired, custom deluxe, gold inlaid, engraved .257 Weatherby Mag. The walnut is outstanding as is the checkering and inlays. Inheritance from his dad. Reminds of a nice Holland & Holland.

All -

Oops! Hit transmit on the previous msg by accide

Continued:

.... 5/8" group,would stand me in good stead; and make hitting inside the 10 ring a good possibility.

The rifle broke in w/ one shot, and never showed blue on the patch thereafter !
The barrel appeared to be somewhat " choked " for its last 1.5" before the muzzle, as if hand lapped to be that way?!?

My son shot the first 5/8th's group in abusive high heat/high humidity conditions, on a day when my best
5- shot group was 11/16". I shot my first 5/8" group w/ the rifle the following month.
That 2X-boosted T-36 really helped w/ the groups, when shooting w/ a front rest and rear bag; off the bench.

Have since shot a 7/16" 5- shot 100 yd group, also using reduced loads. That group included a 3- shot sub group of .250" .. I had misread the wind flag, and put 2 shots slightly out of the central 3's grouping.

These days, I have gone to use of Cutting Edge .358" cal 150gr Extendded Range Raptors.
5 shots into one ragged hole @ 50 yd, and I now need to refine load so that I can stabilize the longish
turned brass 150s all the way out to 100yd.

With regards,
357Mag

Well, I have mine in process right now! It is a Winchester M70 Classic action, Obendorf lever aluminum bottom metal, McMillan Supergrade molded in color stock with flush cup sling mount, a premium custom barrel (chromoly), NECG masterpiece banded front sight, NECG classic rear sight, and Bushnell Nitro 4-16 in Warne QD rings & bases. All metal finished in black Cerakote. Trigger tuned to a crisp 2-2.5lbs. Chambered in 300 Sherman. I'm targeting 0.5" t shot 100 yd groups, but I'm ok if it is better.

Last edited:
Well you could say I have one and another one will become one. The first is a Montana Rifle Co. AVR .35 Whelen nice walnut stock, blued, open sights, 2.5-8 x 36mm VX-3i scope, see-thru rings, 1-12 twist barrel. The other is a Winchester M70 with shilen barrel in .400 Whelen, has a synthetic stock but I have a super grade Winchester feather weight walnut stock I just need to get fitted to it.

Now if money was of no concern the first and most dreamed of firearm would be a Vierling (4 barrel combination gun), chambered in side by side 12 Ga. barrels, a .22 Hornet on top, and a .35 Whelen on the bottom. With a XXX Walnut stock of coarse.
Next to come to mind is a double barrel walnut stocked 45-70.
A switch barrel bolt rifle with barrels in .270 Win., .35 Whelen, and .400 Whelen would be a grate big game rifle to have as well.
Hard to not keep dreaming. :)

If I could have just one dream rifle (as of this time I see no way I could afford any of the above), I would defiantly go with the vierling with out question, as it is way to versatile of a firearm and they are very beautiful firearms.

My dream rifle fits most of the descriptions you all have mentioned but regardless of action type, stock configuration, caliber/cartridge or scope/rings/mounts it would absolutely have to be magical and shoot sub 1/4" MOA 10-shot groups, no matter the range and with every bullet tried!
To modify what Col. Townsend Whelen said "Only accurate precision rifles are interesting".

I'll keep my M70 in .270 Win that I bought from Walmart for $300 in 2004. I put a Nikon Buckmaster on it which I haven't had to re-zero since I installed it. I have taken hogs out to 350 yards (On the run in a 20MPH cross wind). It just does what I ask it to do....

Already got it.
6.5PRC Browning X-Bolt & Bushnell 4.5 - 18 x 44 scope in Talley burnt bronze rings.
P7312026.jpg

At a Show in Penn. two year ago, the Griffin and Howe booth had a stunning Bolt Action Rifle Chambered in .270 Win, in a great piece of English walnut , London Oil Finish, with Quarter Rib, and express sights ,rings and bases with that soft satin rust bluing. $6000.00. Cant stop thinking about it.

At a Show in Penn. two year ago, the Griffin and Howe booth had a stunning Bolt Action Rifle Chambered in .270 Win, in a great piece of English walnut , London Oil Finish, with Quarter Rib, and express sights ,rings and bases with that soft satin rust bluing. $6000.00. Cant stop thinking about it.

I hate to say this, but depending on exactly what it was, that was probably a good deal! So many of these things go for $10k plus!

Recent Posts