What's would be your "DREAM HUNT" ?

Man some of you guys have mentioned things i've never even heard of and places i've never thought of hunting.-Mongolia .

I bet russia has some good hunting oportunities -it's almost twelve time zones wide.-siberian tiger etc..

I'll have to do some digging for mountain carabou and see what it's about.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flybuster -we'll have to plan a deep wilderness predator hunt for 09' ..

When am i going to africa -?- someday i hope -but no time soon..ME

High Altai Argali and Ibex. Dream hunt for me, with the Ibex likely the only sppecies that will actually happen....one day.

I would say my dream hunt would be to take a month to hunt the fall( leafs changing color month) in BC, and do a combo hunt, starying with, alaska/yukon moose, then a grizzly, then a sheep, then a mule deer, and last a whitetail, in no order locked in! and spend it all in the mountains remote from towns!!with a first class guide/outfitter, who had it together with all the right equipment, and locations!!, and since I am dreaming, good weather, slightly cold, but not too cold, and zero to no rain, maybe at night!!, andf to harvest a B&C class animal in every catagory!
dream hunt!!, maaybe win the powerball, the day before I leave for the hunt too! so i could do more dream hunts!!

dream hunt

Yes
Definetely the wild alpine Goats/Sheep
Himalayan Tahr.
Argali
Mouflon
Marco polo
Dall
Rocky mountain
Ibex.
Blaser R93 professional 375 H&H.
Nightforce 5.5x22x50.NPR2 reticle.
Job done.

Last edited:
BTDT

Elk - 6X6 at 968 yards courtesy of State of Idaho Fish and Game and my Dad who taught me that hard work and integrity are the most important ingredients to success.

theelk-1.jpg

BB, Don't you have some footage of this bull gettin' whacked somewhere??? :D

Nope, I only took two pictures of it and I didn't know much about big game photography. The article by Troy Adams is a really good one to read BEFORE you go on your dream hunt.

One of the things that I found difficult was once the dream hunt was over deciding what to do the next season. I didn't have any dreams left except Desert Bighorn and that requires a miracle just to get drawn.

Dream Hunt

I think I'd say stone's sheep/moose/caribou in BC on an old school pack train like O'Connor used to do. The rifle for that would be a 270 WCF I suppose... a custom job, maybe on a Springfield '03 action?

Actually I contributed an essay on this topic to the Weatherby Dream Hunt contest. Maybe I didn't win because the rifle in my essay wasn't a Weatherby :) ?

In that essay my boys were 13 years older than they are now (18 & 16 rather than 5 & 3) and we took a pack train into the Bitteroot/Selway Range of western Montana. We were on a shiras moose/mule deer combo hunt. It really was more about the boys than the hunting... my dream is that they'll love to hunt like I do, that it'll bring 'em together, and that it'll provide for them a haven of silence and peace from our loud and busy lifestyle.

A .35 Whelen on a Granite Mountain '98 action with a 23" Hart 1/12 barrel stocked in circassian walnut w/ a Leupold Vari-X III scope was my sidearm for that fantasy. My sons had a 270 WCF and 7-08 Rem with them.

I'd like to go after plains game in Africa. And I'd like to get a rifle in .350 Rem Mag for it. Don't know why I have a thing for that cartridge. Makes a big hole and packs a hefty punch. .35 Whelen in a short action. Not exactly a long range cartridge; but, from what I understand, Africa hunting isn't necessarily a long range affair.

Of course, I'd have to schedule a hog hunt and moose hunt to test out the rifle before the trip. I'd put a 2-7X scope on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.