Yote busting,,,,, my favorite

WTOBob

551FFCFD-7E16-4E05-8CFA-48A9B69F1576.jpeg

I've been killing coyotes since I was a kid in West Texas. Grew up around Big Spring and built a pretty extensive hunting area over the years. Shot them with about everything but my favorite is Old Purp,,, 220 Swift. Well over a 1000 dogs have fell to that gun since the early 90's and still killing.

Purp is a Remington Classic 220 Swift. It was a shooter right out of the box. I had Harold Broughton tweek on it a little and put it in that McMillan stock. The rest is history.
As far as loads, it likes one. Heck all my Swifts love the same load. 38.5 gr RL15 topped with a 55gr VMax. All brass is Winchester and neck turned. Purp is pushing 30 years old and will still shoot a ragged little hole. Made my longest yote kill at 477 yards. Wife was there when I did it. Never shot a deer with Purp but have busted several hogs. Most were DRT
I've had a few other Classic Swifts but none had the accuracy of this one. Remington came out with an all SS Classic Swift one year. I think 500 were made. Well, I have one of those too and it shoots as well as Purp. I'll have to do a write up on it next. Psyco is it's name

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a couple of good ones,do not let them get away from you like I did with a 243 years ago,sometimes I want to tear up over that rifle.Bad thing is it is within the family so I see it ever now and then.

I knew Harold from shooting BR with him.. At one point he mentioned killing over 1,000 coyotes with a swift..
Both of you are in good country !