Wolves gone wild.

There were bleached bones everywhere that he said were from wolf kills. We saw wolves almost every day.

Now there is talk of a new introduction of Mexican Wolves in the Colorado Plateau, whice encompasses the 4 Corners area where I live and hunt a lot.

This is just madness!

Bleached bones like this? These are wolf kills from around Yellowstone.....

Attachments

• wolf kills.jpg
    wolf kills.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 103

That is why every hunter, fisherman and the such should be against the wolf.
It's not all about the wolf as it is the government screwing things up and ramming in eco-projects with one sided facts.

Unfortunatly there will be wolves in CO and the once great elk state, will be in the same boat. Disapoints me that all future generations will have to look at herds of wild game in picture books. My boys will never understand why there dad took trips out west every year.

Wow- thats incredible. Now imagine how many more calves that were eaten that never had the opportunity to grow into a big bull. We are falling down that slippery slope to no return.

Found 2 like those and lots of legs, pevic and back bones. Don't anyone ever doubt the toll they are taking, thats whey you don't see many elk, deer & moose in the park anymore, just bison!

Below one I found in Yellowstone early August 2010. The rest of the bones were nearby

In 2007 and 2009 we hunted not too far north of Yellowstone. Our hunts were similar to what CO Cowboy mentions - rare elk, and small ones if you found them. Saw wolves in 2007 but not 2009. The guides would tell stories of how many elk they used to see just 10 years ago.

Hunting in parts of MT/ID/WY is nothing like what it was even 10 years ago.

Attachments

• elk kill.jpg
    elk kill.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 107
Canada wolves were put here to wipe out game, they have in many states, outfitters are going out of business, there are places with no animals left and the wolves move on.

They sport kill, they are not what was here before. In Alberta where I killed my wolf you could buy a tag for $40 and shoot as many as you want, just like coyotes here.

If they introduce the Mexican wolf to CO then the last western state with with Elk, Mule Deer, and Antelope, I cant believe people are so stupid that they think this is a good idea................**** if you dont want to ever hunt again then support the wolf......I know people that live there and Ive seen the damage..........most people who are in support of wolves have no clue what they are talking about., They just spout the liberal view on wolves................Go to Idaho and look for elk.....very hard to do.gun)

Are any of you guys calling or better yet writing your congressman, senators, governors or FWS people? An organized writing or calling campaign will get results of enough people participate. As with any politician its all about numbers.

All the politicians did to get you in this position was oil the hinge that squeaked the loudest. I know for a fact there are more hunters than tree huggers it's just that the huggers do the loudest squeaking. As a rancher/farmer/hunter I too probably would have sit on my *** and have thought no one would be stupid enough to do something this ignorant so there would not be any reason to raise my voice. I've done it before but since then I have had experience squeaking and with an organized effort you can achieve results.

I don't have a wolf problem and I don't hunt elk, deer or moose but reading these posts I recognize that you guys are not stupid or blind and can see what is happening. If I can see this I know that someone else can see it too that has the power to change what's happening to your game. Armed with REAL FACTS, DATA and PICTURES to beat you political people over the head with will make a difference especially if you mention money. I'll bet you not a single elk or deer hunter wants wolves where they hunt and if you can get $5.00 from 75% of them to fight this you will win. Remember "Money talks and bull **** walks".

My heart really goes out to you guys. I'll donate $5.00 to start it off if someone starts an organization. There's plenty of people that post here that are more that capable of doing this.

This maynot be the place to bring it up, but their is an article in the Jan. 2 issue of the Great Falls Tribune giving credit to the wolves for the increased return of different species of trees due to the lower number of elk. That used to be a good paper, but it is more and more to the other side every time i read it.

Are any of you guys calling or better yet writing your congressman, senators, governors or FWS people? An organized writing or calling campaign will get results of enough people participate. As with any politician its all about numbers.

All the politicians did to get you in this position was oil the hinge that squeaked the loudest. I know for a fact there are more hunters than tree huggers it's just that the huggers do the loudest squeaking. As a rancher/farmer/hunter I too probably would have sit on my *** and have thought no one would be stupid enough to do something this ignorant so there would not be any reason to raise my voice. I've done it before but since then I have had experience squeaking and with an organized effort you can achieve results.

I don't have a wolf problem and I don't hunt elk, deer or moose but reading these posts I recognize that you guys are not stupid or blind and can see what is happening. If I can see this I know that someone else can see it too that has the power to change what's happening to your game. Armed with REAL FACTS, DATA and PICTURES to beat you political people over the head with will make a difference especially if you mention money. I'll bet you not a single elk or deer hunter wants wolves where they hunt and if you can get $5.00 from 75% of them to fight this you will win. Remember "Money talks and bull **** walks".

My heart really goes out to you guys. I'll donate $5.00 to start it off if someone starts an organization. There's plenty of people that post here that are more that capable of doing this.

Yes! And, the easiest way for all of us to do this is to go to Big Game Forever:

Big Game Forever - Protecting Big Game Abundance for Future Generations (click on the link to the left),

and sign the petition on the right side of the page.

THEN, click on the 'How You Can Help' tab near the top just R of top center and then in the 'Search By Zipcode' box, enter your zipcode and the President and your US Senators and Representative, will pop up. Now, above their faces you can click on the 'Click Here' in the 'Action Alert' box. A pre-written email regarding this wolf issue to will pop up and you can add or change it, fill in the info as necessary and send it off!

It doesn't get any easier! Please go and do this...repeatedly over time as you become aware of new issues.

You can also go to the NRA-ILA website: http://www.nraila.org/ (click on the link to the Left), click on 'Take Action' and in the drop down menu, select 'Write Your Representatives'. You can then select US Reps or even you local state representatives. Copy and Paste the letter from Big Game Forever, change as necessary and send it off to your State folks as well. They need to hear this as much as anybody. ALL of our elected folks and folks in charge of game management at ALL levels need to hear from us!

This doesn't cost you a penny and just a little time and may be one of the most effective ways initially to deal with this issuse.

Please take the time to do this.

Anybody can do this. You don't have to be a member of either of these organizations.

This maynot be the place to bring it up, but their is an article in the Jan. 2 issue of the Great Falls Tribune giving credit to the wolves for the increased return of different species of trees due to the lower number of elk. That used to be a good paper, but it is more and more to the other side every time i read it.

Some species of plants are fairing better and some riparian habitat may be doing better with less elk around. This is always a changing, dynamic balance however and what these reports fail to mention nearly all the time is that if these plant species doing better and riparian habitats in some places doing better was so important a few years ago, why weren't hunters allowed to reduce the numbers of elk in the herd somewhat to accomplish this?

This is simply a by product of the wolf introduction that is repeatedly being heralded by the press--something that has been handpicked to appeal to the masses. "Oh...wolves are so wonderful...look what they are doing for the plant life and habitat." All of a sudden, this has become important. It's just another way to justify what has been done with the wolf. I've even heard hunters herald this--hunters that don't live where it's happening.

It's so easy to objectify what is happening in someone else's back yard... Edit: Not talking about you at all here, Gary, just a general observation.

Last edited:
I also laugh at some of their reports that since the wolf introduction (i wont use reintroduction) the antelope population has grown. Could it be that the antelope numbers have grown for other reasons? Not to mention that they live in the more open terrain and have 10 power binoculars for eye sight and are faster than most olympic sprinters. I just sent off some letters and emails to my reps and mr obama.

I also laugh at some of their reports that since the wolf introduction (i wont use reintroduction) the antelope population has grown. Could it be that the antelope numbers have grown for other reasons? Not to mention that they live in the more open terrain and have 10 power binoculars for eye sight and are faster than most olympic sprinters. I just sent off some letters and emails to my reps and mr obama.

Yes...and antelope are actually considered by most to be the fastest animal in North America (54mph!), so that's some pretty good defense all considered.

IF we could organize a boycott and everyone refrain from buying a lic or tag in the wolf states for one year we would own them!gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.