Wolves Dying!?!

I totally agree probably peta behind it so they cancel hunting them. On the other hand when fur prices are down for 2-3 years and no one trapping hard I have seen the mange when there's to many fox coyote natures way of culling

Disease is "the" factor in canine population reduction. To many dogs... disease takes over and populations crash. disease and poison are the only real controls that have ever worked.
Something is working on the coyotes in my area it seems. I am seeing fewer in se ga. Also have seen more fawns this year.

Our wolves on Alaska's Kenai Peninsula got mites from feral dogs 25 years ago. Mites alone never diminished our timber wolf population. The wolves had good hides in early winter, but then by January they'd rub the hair off the top of their backs while scratching the itch caused by the mites.

Our winters last longer than winters anywhere in the 48 states. I think National Geographic is uninformed, or purposely spreading false information.

It is more difficult for the wolves to survive with the loss of fur on the tops of their backs, because it burns more calories and requires additional food intake to keep warm during the winter. So they may be a little skinnier and lighter in weight. It's an additional stresser on wolf survival, but it didn't kill off our wolves. What did reduce our wolf population was a reduced moose population due to a maturing forest. No forest fires since a large 1947 burn, and then a smaller fire in 1968. When the browse grows higher than a moose can reach, their population is reduced. Fewer moose = less food = fewer wolves.
Sound Wisdom!!

A trapping buddy has offered the DNR wolves caught in his coyote traps. They usually give them a few shots(with needle) before they release them with a new collar. I think parvo is big with them too.

Revival of 4 year old thread, I'm guessing that the CO wolf population will just increase over the next 10 years due to the recent legislation, then people will realize what they have done and CO will try to figure out how to decrease their population after its too late.

I know quite a few hunters that have seen their increasing numbers in the north west over the last several years-- but oh wait, according to "statistics" we don't have any wolves in CO

cohunt, unfortunately with all the liberals that have infected the front range, we will never see a hunting season for the wolves. It will take something drastic to happen and that doesn't include our deer, elk, moose populations to decline to the point of no return. We have seen/heard evidence of them here in the SW corner for about 15 yrs but has steadily increased in the last 5yrs. But as you stated, we do not have any wolves in CO! And i call BS!! We showed a game warden a picture of one from my in-laws ranch last yr and were told it was a large coyote or possibly a crossbreed, so when i told him i was going to shoot it, his whole tune changed. And that is why our deer and elk population is in such bad shape, and to much hunting pressure

I was watching a National Geographic Special on Yellowstone. They said half the wolf packs had died. The cause was a mite. This mite burrows under their their skin and causes their fur to fall out. Much like the Mange. They soon die. They showed pictures and a lot of them looked terrible. Maybe prayers have been answered. Have you seen this? Have you noticed any increase in deer or elk herds?
ANY CHANCE GETTING THEM (( MITES )) hatched into a colony to spread around like a bad case of covid,,,(( new wolf covid )) :p :p 👍 ;)🥳🥴🤔

I was watching a National Geographic Special on Yellowstone. They said half the wolf packs had died. The cause was a mite. This mite burrows under their their skin and causes their fur to fall out. Much like the Mange. They soon die. They showed pictures and a lot of them looked terrible. Maybe prayers have been answered. Have you seen this? Have you noticed any increase in deer or elk herds?
It is natures way of correction. I am convinced.
Half is a good number of wolves down but they can also recover pretty quick. In some cases faster than the elk can. Deer and elk herds will take 3-5 years to recover into numbers that are significant and that is only if the wolf numbers stay down.

Revival of 4 year old thread, I'm guessing that the CO wolf population will just increase over the next 10 years due to the recent legislation, then people will realize what they have done and CO will try to figure out how to decrease their population after its too late.

I know quite a few hunters that have seen their increasing numbers in the north west over the last several years-- but oh wait, according to "statistics" we don't have any wolves in CO
DNR says there are no mountain lions in eastern states too. There are and in every state on the east coast in spite of experts.

cohunt, unfortunately with all the liberals that have infected the front range, we will never see a hunting season for the wolves. It will take something drastic to happen and that doesn't include our deer, elk, moose populations to decline to the point of no return. We have seen/heard evidence of them here in the SW corner for about 15 yrs but has steadily increased in the last 5yrs. But as you stated, we do not have any wolves in CO! And i call BS!! We showed a game warden a picture of one from my in-laws ranch last yr and were told it was a large coyote or possibly a crossbreed, so when i told him i was going to shoot it, his whole tune changed. And that is why our deer and elk population is in such bad shape, and to much hunting pressure
You can't have crossbreed unless you have both Wolves and coyotes. Did you shoot it to confirm what it was?