With all the discussion about the relative over bore cartridges

......Ah....But what if you can ........have BOTH???.........

In a "Long Range Hunting Rifle" what accuracy threshold is enough? Or, at what point can we say good enough, and seek more velocity?

In a "Long Range Hunting Rifle" (assuming heavy for caliber bullets) is enough? Or, at what point do we dial it back a notch to improve accuracy.

In a "Long Range Hunting Rifle" what accuracy threshold is enough? Or, at what point can we say good enough, and seek more velocity?

In a "Long Range Hunting Rifle" (assuming heavy for caliber bullets) is enough? Or, at what point do we dial it back a notch to improve accuracy.
If you can push a bullet harder and keep the level of accuracy the same but for less consecutive shots say 3-5 vs 8-20 that would be acceptable. Losing accuracy to just try to deliver a the mail faster will create a no bueno situation for me.
For me I use this standard. Hunting weight bolt gun I want a 1/2 moa 3 shot group. My heavy barreled coyote type rifle I want 10 shot 1/2 moa. My stalking rifle is a pump 30/06 it will shoot into 3/4 with 2 magazines, but it is not at top pressure. It shoots this way 1.3 grains off of the book max. @18" it will not go much faster. It also shoots a faster powder than my 03A3 with a 2 groove. 4064 vs Rl19
Having your cake and eating it too usually costs both time and money. How much your willing to cough up determines how far you will get in your quest

Might I inquire why you want your coyote rifle to sustain the same level of accuracy as your hunting (guessing big game) rifle except with 10 shot groups. Do you see that many?I'm envisioning coyotes popping out like it was a prairie dog town.:D

Might I inquire why you want your coyote rifle to sustain the same level of accuracy as your hunting (guessing big game) rifle except with 10 shot groups. Do you see that many?I'm envisioning coyotes popping out like it was a prairie dog town.:D
It shoots 3 in the .2s I use it for club matches much more than I use it for hunting unfortunately. We have a quasi prs type format and will shoot no more than 10. Because of range limitations the line is 5-10 shooters depending on the club. They will use up to 10 targets at a time for each shooter. All of this is also on a single round in the rifle at a time again due to range rules some implemented by the towns they are in (Mass)
My F class rig I'm putting together I will want the same 1/2moa but for the course of fire 22-25 rounds and would expect to be able to hold that for the amount of shots between cleanings.
1/2moa is realistic for what I want to do. When I shot benchrest with my grandfathers growing up1/2 moa wouldn't get anything done. My 222 was a solid .18-.22 rifle depending on time of year. I competed against ppc's and would finish 8-12th. In 1978 my grandfather's friend claimed he was sick at a match and lent me his 6ppc. I had a 5 target agg of .16 and 2 that were .08-9 in that shoot. Finished 2nd in the 100 and 1st in the 200 relay.
I know what my equipment is capable of every time I leave the house. I can chase slightly better as can anyone. I'd rather just shoot.

For me, the signs of pressure is my safety indicator, i.e., I was pushing the 175 Matrix out of my .270 AI at near 3100 FPS but too much pressure I can live without and groups started opening up. Backed it down, to 2993 FPS and 1/2 MOA or better at 1K yards if I do my part, my current accuracy load with H4831SC. Sadly, it's the only load development I have done for it thus far. This year, the furthest kill is a coyote at 528 yards.

9hofF1A.jpg

For me, the signs of pressure is my safety indicator, i.e., I was pushing the 175 Matrix out of my .270 AI at near 3100 FPS but too much pressure I can live without and groups started opening up. Backed it down, to 2993 FPS and 1/2 MOA or better at 1K yards if I do my part, my current accuracy load with H4831SC. Sadly, it's the only load development I have done for it thus far. This year, the furthest kill is a coyote at 528 yards.

9hofF1A.jpg
That rifle hits with some serious authority

9hofF1A.jpg
Not worried about pelts I take it.:eek:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.