Winchester Mod 70 scope base problem

MSU Marksman

I'm having trouble finding a single piece scope base to fit my Winchester Model 70, Long action. It's a 1965 model, serial number in the 8xx,xxx range the best I can tell. I picked up a Leupold #70A mount and it's too SHORT!! The rear screw hole would fit directly over a factory cut clip slot. Any idea what base will work for this model? Thanks in advance for any insight.

I would recomend getting a Ken Ferrell base. I just put one on my winchester mod 70 long action and also I have one on my winchester mod 70 wsm action. I think that you cant go wrong with this system.

I would recomend getting a Ken Ferrell base. I just put one on my winchester mod 70 long action and also I have one on my winchester mod 70 wsm action. I think that you cant go wrong with this system.

Are the screw holes the same on a WSM and WSSM. I'm trying not to buy/return bases to see if they'll fit my WSSM action.

If it is a wsm action then the holes should be the same. He has the choice of a winchester short action or a winchester short mag action base. I have the short mag action base and I know it is different than the short action base. You can get on his web page and check it out and even call and they can give you some masurements just to make sure. They are awsome bases though.

You might try Warne Scope Mounts... -800-683-5590 ask for Dave he's a LR and F-class shooter, if anyone can help you he can

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.