installing redfield base on mod 70

mister c

I degreased rverthing and set the base on rifle installed the 3 base screwa and began torquing thr screws to 30 in lbs, the third screwwont take 30#, itjust spun . now the bottom 5 threads of the rifle barellscrews and also the 6-48 torx bottom threads on thr screw......help..............thanks

I degreased rverthing and set the base on rifle installed the 3 base screwa and began torquing thr screws to 30 in lbs, the third screwwont take 30#, itjust spun . now the bottom 5 threads of the rifle barellscrews and also the 6-48 torx bottom threads on thr screw......help..............thanks

Are you saying the threads in the receiver or striped, or the threads on the screw are stripped, or both? A good time to go to a #8 fastener

the bottom 5 threads on the screw are striped, what does it entail going to a #8 fastener? thanks...............................mister c

If it is just the fastener, get a new one from a Smith. ( length is important of course)

I tried a new screw and torqed at 20 lbs OK, so i went to 30lbs and bottom threads on the screw gave out and stripped about 4 to 5 threads.........mister c

thanks KENNYGSS, I chased threads threads and srnt for new screws and planned on using puplle #222 locktite. actually it took 25 in. lbs but I'm staying with 20lbs. ..........mister c.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.