Remington 700 SPS scope base mounting problem

I've read in another forum that Remington was notorious for not having the mounting holes aligned properly. Never owned one just sharing.

I recently purchased a 700 SPS Tactical, model 85538.

I received a Nightforce model # A292 base today and upon trying to mount, the cap screws will not thread into either of the two outside (end) holes. Any of the four supplied screws will screw into either of the two inside mounting holes but none will screw into the two outside holes.

I don't have a tap that small, and don't feel I should need one on a brand new rifle.

Opinions/ideas?
You might contact Nightforce with base number. They make two different models one being with larger screws for heavier recoiling weapons.

You might contact Nightforce with base number. They make two different models one being with larger screws for heavier recoiling weapons.
All four of the supplied screws fit the two inner holes perfectly. None of the screws will thread into the outermost holes.

This is without the base in place, though the base does align properly with all four holes.

Wait to get a response from Remington. I have owned a lot of Remington 700's over the years and have never had an issue with things no lining up properly or fitting the way they should. You did ell buying the NF base and i should have fit. The problem is that the holes were not tapped correctly. It may be as easy as cleaning the threads.
Your options will be to either send it back to Remington and then anything wrong will be on them to take care of (do not touch anything if you are going to do this). Or, take it to a good gunsmith and have them run a tap in the holes or drill out to 8-40.

Remington QC is a joke. Rather than spend the time/money to mail the rifle back I'd save yourself the headaches and buy the tap or find a local shop with the tap and clean up the 2 holes.

I recently purchased a 700 SPS Tactical, model 85538.

I received a Nightforce model # A292 base today and upon trying to mount, the cap screws will not thread into either of the two outside (end) holes. Any of the four supplied screws will screw into either of the two inside mounting holes but none will screw into the two outside holes.

I don't have a tap that small, and don't feel I should need one on a brand new rifle.

Opinions/ideas?
Check the four screws more closely...they should have two shorter screws,two longer...long ones to the front, shorter to the rear....it might be the problem...

Check the four screws more closely...they should have two shorter screws,two longer...long ones to the front, shorter to the rear....it might be the problem...
All four screws are the same length & diameter. This is a Nightforce Standard Duty 0 MOA rail.

The problem is, none of them will start to thread in the two outside holes without binding before two threads have entered the hole.

They are not 8-40 screws. The OP stated all 4 screws thread into the inner 2 mounting holes. It's just the outer holes. The holes probably just need a tap run into them to clean them up. I've had to do it to a few rifles. It's not a bad idea to have the tap anyway to help clean out loctite and other sealants people use when mounting bases.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.