Remington 700 SPS scope base mounting problem

Rick_W

I recently purchased a 700 SPS Tactical, model 85538.

I received a Nightforce model # A292 base today and upon trying to mount, the cap screws will not thread into either of the two outside (end) holes. Any of the four supplied screws will screw into either of the two inside mounting holes but none will screw into the two outside holes.

I don't have a tap that small, and don't feel I should need one on a brand new rifle.

Opinions/ideas?

are you saying that the 4 holes do not line up, or that they all line up but 2 are not threaded?
They are all threaded and they all line up with the base, but the screws will not screw in.

I'm afraid I'll either strip a screw or the hole if I force it - they're that tight. And they're not really entering the holes.

there might be some chaff in the threads which needs to be removed by carefully threading a tap through the hole, or else potentially the 2 problem holes were drilled to a smaller size? although that seems unlikely.

there might be some chaff in the threads which needs to be removed by carefully threading a tap through the hole, or else potentially the 2 problem holes were drilled to a smaller size? although that seems unlikely.
If Remington wants to send me a tap, I'd be more than happy to return it when I'm through with it. I don't have any taps that small.

Unfortunately, I don't have a better idea either - which is why I posted.

ask the GS you bought it from to carefully run a tap through the holes to clear out any obstruction. It should take them all of 3 minutes, and should be free if they want to maintain any semblance of customer loyalty.

This is the first Remington I've ever bought and while this is probably a very small issue in the big scheme of things, it's not a pleasant feeling.
I don't consider it an issue of any size. I would want to run a tap in the holes and clean them well before I installed the screws even if they would screw in.

I don't consider it an issue of any size. I would want to run a tap in the holes and clean them well before I installed the screws even if they would screw in.
I'll politely agree to disagree on it being an issue.

But, that's why I was running the screws into the holes. Not that I have very many rifles but I've always run the screws that come with the bases in the holes prior to trying to mount the bases. I've just never had the screws not thread in properly.

there is no reason why a new rifle should require a re-tap before a scope can be mounted. That is shoddy QC. And I am a huge Remington fan with many of them in my gun cabinets. Shoddy, careless QC.....No excuse for it.

On the positive though, once you get it squared away, it should shoot well. I have a 10 year old SPS tactical which I re-stocked, and with good handloads (loaded way out, close to the rifling) It shoots tiny groups consistently.

Check the mounting holes and screws very carefully. . Are the threaded holes 6-48 or 8-40 size? What are the screw size? Is there actually threads in all 4 holes, Or were the problem holes drilled out and not threaded?
There is something about scope mounting screw size in the specifications for a police tactical rifle. I believe requires 8-40 scope screws.
If that rifle had to go through the custom shop to have the scope mounting holes enlarged to 8-40, Someone may have done 2 holes and did not do the other 2 holes properly. Just thoughts on what could have cause this SNAFU.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.