Remington 700 SPS scope base mounting problem

Discussions through text can get very confusing can't they? From the OP and what Rick_W is describing here..The base is fine and the screws are fine, the holes in the base line up with the action. The problem is that the 2 outside holes will not accept the screws, before trying to mount the base. That means 1 thing...the 2 outside holes in the action were not threaded correctly. This will need to be repaired by Remington, a gunsmith, or even at home. Don't over complicate things and confuse yourself. Just have the threads in the action fixed. I would suggest having a good gunsmith drill them out and thread them to accept 8-40 screws. The smith would also be able to machine the base you already bought to accept the larger screws. You will be better off mounting with 8-40's vs the 6-48 screws anyways.

They may appear straight but I'd screw on the screws w/o the base to check for alignment, check if they were actually square and true to the receiver and if the screws can be interchanged then they all are threaded correctly. Give it a try.
If I could get all the screws in, I'd do that.

Ok so sounds like different threads on the mounting holes on the receiver. Or like others stated need to be cleaned up. Regardless either Remington takes care of it or a good Smith is called for. Good luck in getting it fixed.

Go figure - can't find a 6-48 tap anywhere in town.

I received a service ticket from Remington yesterday morning requesting my address so they could "get the gun in for inspection".

If you have changed triggers, or added anything to the rifle, I would remove any non factory parts. And put the rifle back the way it came in the box from Remington. After market triggers, scope bases have a way of not making it back home. Good Luck on them fixing the problem.

If you have changed triggers, or added anything to the rifle, I would remove any non factory parts. And put the rifle back the way it came in the box from Remington. After market triggers, scope bases have a way of not making it back home. Good Luck on them fixing the problem.
Nothing was changed. It was brand new in the box.

Just to update - I never did hear back from Remington via e-mail and I've been working during normal working hours (I leave the house at 0530 and don't make it back home until after 1800).

I ordered two 6-48 taps last week (one tapered and one bottom) along with a few more base screws while waiting to hear from Remington, received them today.

Chased the threads in the receiver this evening and mounted the base with no problems.

I won't say I'll NEVER buy a new Remington product again, but I won't intentionally go shopping for one.

you would need a 6-48 tpi tap to clean them out.

6-48 is the correct size and thread pitch but, you will need a bottom tap for a Remington 700. A plug tap or taper tap will not properly chase the threads in the forward most hole and could even strip the hole out! That hole is very shallow, due to the barrel threaded in, that passes by in the bottom of it. Definitely use only a bottom tap, in that hole at least. The other three holes are fine to chase with whatever style 6-48 tap that you wish to use.

I had a new Remington Sendero I bought 2 years ago come with 2 of the 6-48 holes that were messed up. Had to have a gunsmith chase the threads.

Rick
Glad to hear you got it sorted out. To be honest sending it to Remington would've probably cost you more and been more of a hassle than getting those taps.

I am glad to hear you got the problem resolved. I am with you on the Remington purchases. I have been a long time Remington fan and have always shot and loved my model 700's. But with the way their quality control and products have turned out, I look elsewhere for my rifles lately.

You might contact Nightforce with base number. They make two different models one being with larger screws for heavier recoiling weapons.

Yes this is what I was thinking when I read the OP. There's a chance that one or two screws might have a burr somewhere preventing the screw from running in, however not quite so with all four screws. Just curious if the right sized screws were put into the packaging from the factory.

Usually but not always 6 - 48 TPI is the size that holes are tapped for. Before you do anything else take the screws to a gunsmith or a machinist if you know of one. What they will use is a screw pitch gage and a jewelers loupe or an over the head magnifier. in this manner you can determine the threads OD & Pitch/ T.P.I.
This is a small tap and once determined the correct tap size, simply chase the threads by hand using a small tap wrench. The tap itself must be perfectly square to the point where your threads start. Turn slowly about 1 1/2 turns and back out slowly to clear the thread chips. Keep going until you have cleared the threads. Moist likely the culprit is flash resulted from the tap not being adjusted deep enough. (Today all moist all machining is performed on a CNC machine and not by hand). Please do not use a dry tap to reestablish your threaded holes. You Can use any motor oil , or gun oil that you have at hand to lubricate your tap as you re tap the holes. If this is not to your liking please take it to a gunsmith . I doubt if any major store without a gunsmith on site will be able to rectify this problem. In this case search out a QUALIFIED GUNSMITH for your repair. Yes the QC department should have caught this error rand a quick call to customer service should result in a refund for your gunsmith's charge. ( I do not think that they will want to send your rifle back via UPS, Or Fed -Ex and pay the shipping.)
OBTW I'm a retired tool & die maker with over 40 yrs experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.