Why no hate on the 6CM?

If you don't start something, there won't be nothing. LOL!

The 6mm Remington has been good to me for more decades than I care to count.

Brass can be an issue at times.

I think you could use 7 X 57 brass to make 6mm Remington, if that's any more abundant in your neighborhood. You may have to turn necks.

Wow, tough crowd! LOL

It has everything to do with handling recoil! Recoil management is just as important in hunting and LR shooting as it is in competition. The problem is that with small bore chamberings the shooter gets away with having sloppy technique. Poor recoil management isn't as much of an issue with a low recoil round as it will be with a larger caliber or lighter rifle. That's why you'll see excellent target shooters who struggle to shoot as well with a larger gun; I see it all the time. They have the basics down but get beat up when they try to apply them to a 12# 300 Win Mag. Then they go back to shooting what they handle best and you end up with the folks who believe that the small cases are the best thing ever since they shoot them so much better. That doesn't make the 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor (or any of the ballistically similar chamberings) better or worse, it just makes them easier for people to shoot well.

And just so nobody thinks I'm taking cheap shots at PRS (even though I am) I've been the RO at a few local matches and even shot a few of them with a 19" specialty pistol in 260 REM, and held my own against the rifles. That said, I'm just going to leave this here...........
l3g1QGw.jpg

Lol where can I buy that shirt?

A 115 would be a dream with recoil, my 195s from a 13# 308 leaves a lot to be desired on shaky barricades

Well for the competition circuit the 6 mm is the caliber of choice where it's the Dasher and CM
https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/12/14/rifle-caliber/
If you are hunting deer sized game why do you need anything different than a .243? Lots of ammo choices. Lots of rifle choices. Go custom and get what you want. Never a danger of not being able to find factory ammo around no matter how remote the location. I'll stop there because you don't indicate what you will use this rifle for. But if it were my money the 6.5 CM would not make the cut.

.........I think you could use 7 X 57 brass to make 6mm Remington, if that's any more abundant in your neighborhood. You may have to turn necks..............

Thanks! Personally I'm well stocked, it was just a heads up to any one contemplating the pros and cons of the various 6mm's.

......I worked at a big mom and pop gun store when the 260 got everyone's attention. We couldn't keep them in stock, abolts, 700s, model 7s, ruger 77s, and tikkas ....all sold like hot cakes for a couple years, then it just stopped . The 260 didnt get the help the creed got in the market place. If it had, it would have been a game changer like the creed has become to the average underinformed buyer.........

When I bought my .260 it was during that time of no 6.5's on the shelf. I bought the .260 as it was the first suitable rifle I found. The Tikka CTR is the clone of the .223 the kids I take shoot, so its familiar when they step up.

I don't think I'm that uninformed, and bet I would be as happy with the other factory 6.5's in that class. As the bullet industry moves forward, the advantage to most of us will be still in the rifle itself. Meaning faster twists.

I will confess a temptation to re barrel to one of Rich's Sherman's with a 6" or 7" twist.

Like the title states...
Seems like people are more tolerant of the 6mm CM versus the 6.5. Why? Everyone likes to make the argument that the 6.5 doesn't do anything the 260 Remington, 6.5x47, et al didn't already do. The same (I suppose) could be said of the 6mm versus 243 Winchester. Is it strictly the twist? The 243 doesn't come in factory form with anything faster than a 9" twist. What's that good to, 107 grain maybe? I'm thinking of adding the 6mm just for this reason, factory rifles available that will stabilize most bullets (specifically monos).

Thoughts?

I like to think it isn't the cartridge itself which garners the scorn, but the tendency of many to overstate the chambering's capabilities. I firmly believe if the 6CM ever gets the kind of hype the 6.5CM has, there will be just as many people claiming unrealistic performance, and the resulting backlash will be swift and merciless, and will get tiresome just as quickly.

As the kids say: "Don't hate the player. Hate the game."

Edited for fat finger syndrome

I like to think it isn't the cartridge itself which garners the scorn, but the tendency of many to overstate the chambering's capabilities. I firmly believe if the 6CM ever gets the kind of hype the 6.5CM has, there will be just as many people claiming unrealistic performance, and the resulting backlash will be swift and merciless, and will get tiresome just as quickly.

As the kids say: "Don't hate the player. Hate the game."

Edited for fat finger syndrome

I think you nailed it, Sir. Trying to stretch the cartridge's capabilities is what has fueled the fire about it. A lot of guys have been very critical of people hunting elk with the 6.5 Creedmoor, especially at long range. This may be what got the controversy rolling. If/when the 6mm Creedmoor becomes more popular, they will climb on the bandwagon about it, too - especially if guys want to use it for large game like elk. They may even beat up on that one for deer hunting.

This is kind of the same thing we saw a couple of decades back, when the macho crowd was bad-mouthing anybody who used anything smaller than a .300 magnum for elk, even at normal ranges. I remember taking some heat for showing up with a 30-06 in elk camp years ago, which seemed a bit silly to me. Since an ought-six will do pretty well at 300 yards what a .300 will do at 400, I didn't see an issue with it - but a lot of guys did. "Magnum mania" was going full blast at the time. Looks like that concept has faded out, but they're exploring the opposite extreme. The pendulum swings both ways, and the marketing boys will hype this to the max and sell a bunch of rifles and accessories. The more argument there is about this, the better for the guys in the business.

Ol' Creedmoor threads! Wonder if people talk ---- about 243, or 308 when they came to be?? The ol' heads saying, "oh this won't last long"!

I can comment on the.243 Winchester when it came out. I bought one because of all the hype, shot it and found the round to be extremely accurate with little recoil in the Remington model 600 rifle that I had at the time. I think the cartridge was a bit overrated at the time, however my expectations could have been inflated a bit also. About 30+ years ago my daughter wanted to go deer hunting, I bought her a Ruger 77 featherweight in .243 because I felt that it was a good cartridge for her to begin deer hunting with; light recoil, extremely accurate abd adequate enough for deer. I'd like to say that I'm not a Creed person at all because for me there are better cartridges for my hunting needs. But........in all honesty if the same circumstances arose today with my granddaughter I'd seriously consider the 6.5 Creedmor as her first deer rifle. Cannot believe I just wrote that!!:(;):rolleyes:!!!

I can comment on the.243 Winchester when it came out. I bought one because of all the hype, shot it and found the round to be extremely accurate with little recoil in the Remington model 600 rifle that I had at the time. I think the cartridge was a bit overrated at the time, however my expectations could have been inflated a bit also. About 30+ years ago my daughter wanted to go deer hunting, I bought her a Ruger 77 featherweight in .243 because I felt that it was a good cartridge for her to begin deer hunting with; light recoil, extremely accurate abd adequate enough for deer. I'd like to say that I'm not a Creed person at all because for me there are better cartridges for my hunting needs. But........in all honesty if the same circumstances arose today with my granddaughter I'd seriously consider the 6.5 Creedmor as her first deer rifle. Cannot believe I just wrote that!!:(;):rolleyes:!!!

I CAN believe you just wrote that - because it's good solid thinking. The .243 didn't deliver the ballistics that were advertised for it, but it did deliver ENOUGH. It's a GREAT deer killer.

A young person with his/her first deer rifle will probably do much better with a rifle that doesn't scare the hell out of him. They shoot well with rifles they are not afraid to shoot, due to heavy recoil. They also are probably not going to be shooting their first deer at extreme range, so they don't need blistering speed or power. At 50 to 100 yards, a .243 has more than enough punch for deer. Hitting the animal in the vitals is far more important than how powerful the cartridge is.

The reason I might prefer the 6.5 Creedmoor over a .243 today would be ammo availability. Because it's "all the rage" right now, the new deer hunter would likely find a better selection of deer-suitable bullets in this cartridge than might be available in others - including the .243. Much of the ammo on the shelves for that cartridges ( which is a favorite of mine, by the way ) is loaded with light, frangible bullets for shooting tiny varmints, not deer. There's certainly good availability of good deer bullets in .243, but you can everything from soup to nuts in the 6.5 right now. Ammunition manufacturers also favor the new cartridges over the old standby's, because about half of them also sell rifles.

I think that using the most commonly available cartridge is never a bad idea, provided it isn't something really strange - like the super-short magnums that Winchester put out a while back. The Creedmoor cartridges are pretty conventional, and they'll probably still be around ten years from now.

I remember reading articles about the 243 when it first started gaining steam. Many of the same terms were used for it that are used for the 6.5 creed now. Especially the terms " magic " and " better than the ballistics show ". Neck shots were all the rage at the time and gun writers claimed the little bullets just seemed to know where to go.
Truth was, it came down to people executing shots with the little round because they weren't scared of the light recoil . That too, is true today for the 6.5 creedmoor. A heart shot deer with a 130 gr 6.5 bullet dies quicker than a gut shot deer with a 212 gr 30 cal. I guess the same holds true no matter how much the critter weighs.

6mm creed for prairie dogs thru small whitetail deer. 6.5 creed for prairie dogs to Elk limited to 400 yards.
If someone cant shoot a 6.5 over a 6mm maybe they shouldn't be hunting big game!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.