Why do people hate Browning Firearms so much

I've owned just about every rifle out there
Price never a problem rems Christiansens savages weatherbys in all calibers and I love browning rifles
try an x bolt

Some folks may take exception to Brownings advertising that claims to be
"the best there is". All kidding aside I have 2 Browning rifles and love them both.
One is a BLR lever gun in 270 that I've taken a truck load of whitetails with also my wife took an antelope at 300 yds. The other is an XBolt in 300WinMag that shoots
3/4 inch with factory ammo took a nice bull elk with this year.:)

I've shot several deer this year over 500
Yards with a 270wsm using berger bullets
And a huskemaw set up I've done the same
With black bears with a 325wsm both with
X bolts

Made in Japan

Made in Japan is what people hate...........if John Browning were alive today I don't think it would be in Japan.

Really like if Browning would go back to Belgium Made!

the Browning FN Safari is one of my most prized and used rifles.

Even have a few Japan Browning rifles in the safe!

No hate from me, the Belgium guns were so nice they just lost all respect when
they moved production.

"Why do people hate Browning Firearms so much "

Their guns are as good as any and better than most, on average anyway. Some people don't like much of anything, a LOT of people simply pile-on, perhaps in an effort to sound "knowledgable"? And it's only a few silly enough to "hate" them and make a lot of noise so they sound more numerous than they are! Fergit 'em and enjoy your nice rifle.

Rems are by far the most popular bolt rifles ever produced and I really like 'em. The ease of modifying them attracts a lot of gimmicky owners the after markerters cater to but that doesn't mean they or others are in anyway 'better' factory rifles than Browning.

All makers throat their chambers longer than the magazine. That's done to keep foolish reloaders from blowing themselves up and the survivors sueing.

My appologies for being so harsh. But people were hurt trying to customize abolt actions because of the cheap pot metal. They are easy to crack and can cause severe catastrophic failure. I have not worked with them in over ten years and they may have a better product now. They have a great design but very poor metal that does not do well when customizing.

Last edited:
"People are stupid. Individuals may be smart, but PEOPLE are stupid." It was a great line from Tommy Lee Jones in "Men In Black", & it fits here well. When individuals look at individual rifles you can get a meaningful evaluation, but when the multitudes throw around platitudes, it turns to gibberish. Ignore what "people" say & deal with what you learn from those you respect. Yes, you have to consider the source.

I've got more guns than will fit in the safe. I've got a Stainless Stalker in 7mm Rem mag. from the first Browning shipment. It's a very nice factory rifle that was designed to be hunted hard. Action works well & the 60° bolt throw is great. No, it's not the tack-driver I would like it to be, but it's the most accurate factory magnum I've ever shot.

If I was looking to build a custom rifle, it's unlikely I would pick a Browning action since there are few aftermarket products available for them. If I was picking a rifle that would remain stock, Browning would be WAY ahead of Remington on my list. If I was to dream up a perfect rifle, it would likely have the Browning 60° bolt throw but the rest would be high-dollar custom.

People on THIS FORUM are abnormal, since normal is the average. People on this forum tend to be perfectionists & want a rifle to do what most consumers would never ask. My dad never shot a deer over 60 yards away. His reaction to seeing my targets with 2 of my varmint rifles was hard to describe. He didn't know such accuracy was possible (and I was not happy with one of the rifles). He is a better than average hunter & was always considered a good shot — in the company of "normal" hunters & shooters. For average hunters & shooters, a factory rifle can be more than adequate, while for members of this forum, perfection in a rifle is ALMOST good enough. For most consumers, Browning rifles are very good firearms, while for members of this forum, who are apt to rebarrel or modify their guns, a Browning can be frustrating.

I don't hate Browning rifles. I even like a few of them. I can't say I love any factory rifle.

I know this wasn't a simple answer, but sometimes the truth is complex.

Buano, Ditto your post.I got a 325wsm stainless as a job perk, in 06'.Put a 4-14 leupy on it,it is 7-6oz. It is so handy it has taken a few6x6 , bears and some nice mountain muleys out to 600 yrds.

I have had my Browning Stainless Stalker in 7MM Rem Mag since 1988 and have had nothing but a positive experience with it. It would always shoot anything I fed it and it cycles flawlessly. I rebarreled it last year after finally shooting out the barrel after 1800+ rounds and I was nervous after hearing stories about the thread lock that Browning uses. And as usual that was total bunk. Yes it did have a thread lock on the tenon threads but it broke loose with no more effort than a Rem 700 or any other receiver. I think a lot of those stories about receivers being ruined were from people using the wrong receiver wrenches on them. All I know is that when I went to lap the lugs in it took all of about 2 minutes because the contact was already almost 100%. It now has a Mike Rock 5R 11 twist barrel on it and shoots both 140 Bergers and 120 TTSX bullets under .5" all day long. I too have a couple of Browning shotguns - Auto 5's and they run like a Rolex.

As a side note, Browning is stiill the only manufacturer that beds the recoil lug on every rifle and thay have had a user adjustable trigger for 20 plus years. And I think that all of their bolt guns chambers are finished reamed by hand for more exact headspacing.

I still use the same trigger just re-sprung lighter and I use the original stock which is fiberglass and not the crappy plastic stocks like most are using now.

I have owned two Browning A-Bolts. One with the BOSS and another without. Both were great rifles that did nearly everything I asked of them. Both shot under MOA out of the box with no tinkering - except for bedding the action.

Their standard rifles tend to be some of the lightest offerings out there. Given the "pencil barrel" that most of them come with, their accuracy is really quite good. For me, their design and ergonomics fit me well as a shooter. I still have have an A-Bolt Stalker that is my carry gun when going into steep terrain where shots are expected to be under 400 yds.

Never had to send one back. But I did have a bad result with a Winchester rifle. (No slam here, just a bad barrel that could happen with any make). My point in bringing this up, is that both Wichester & Browning are owned by FN. Their customer service was top notch. No argument from them. They took everything I said as fact and worked hard with me to make things right - even though my Winchester rifle was made well before FN bought the Winchester name. I think that says volumes about them. Sometimes, it is good to remember that when you buy a rifle, you are buying the company as well. Two thumbs up for Browning.

My first rifle was a Remington 742 30-06 (1960 mfg) and it was and is a 3" group rifle and has killed everything that walked in front of a squeezed trigger. I shoot ambidextrous, so autos work well when you are able to switch shoulders easily. My next rifle was / is a Browning Bar mdl 70 30-06. It was / is a 1.5" grp rifle and has killed everything that I was able to legally retrieve including the branch that was 18 inches in front of the barrel that blocked the 35 yd shot on the 8 point in heavy East Texas brush country. I had a LH Rem 700 BDL 7mmRm and it was a 3 in group gun. Then I got Savage 116 stainless LH 7mmRm fluted adj on/off brake and this rifle will do 1" groups or better. 4 wks ago at the range I shot 2 rds that you could cover with a quarter at 200 yds, muzzle brake ON. LOL I have a 7mm-08 A-Bolt II that is a 1" group with Boss not tuned. I do not have the money to create the LRH rifles that I see here and do not shoot just to shoot. I shoot to sight in and then go for meat, but with my acquisition last summer of a FN Browning action coupled with a 26" fluted heavy 25-06 brought me into a new realm of rifle joys of shooting. I also owned a BAR .300 win mag that was a 1.5 -2" groups. SOLD IT because the 30-06 did most all of the harvesting. My last 2 kills were many moons ago and were accomplished by my LH Savage 116. I forgot about the Rem Model Seven in 6mm Rem . I purchased a 7mm-08 barrel for the rifle but could not replace the 6mm as it was a tack driver with the 18"/20" barrel. I love my Brownings (4):D

I have been hunting from Alaska to FLa, and almost everywhere in between, for over 40 yrs, and I have owned almost every brand rifle out there, in auto, pump, and bolt action;

My favorite auto is my BAR in 30-06 (1971 Belgian), my favorite pump is my Remington in 270, and my favorite bolt is my new Browning x-bolt in 243;

The new x-bolt has all the A-bolt has, plus some more goodies;

Anyone can get a 'lemon' from anyone who makes anything mechanical;

Dont knock these new Japanese Brownings; Remember their cars put Detroit to shame;

I wouldn't trade my new x-bolt for anything except a Weatherby, and I already have one;

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.