Why no hate on the 6CM?

therifleman556

Like the title states...
Seems like people are more tolerant of the 6mm CM versus the 6.5. Why? Everyone likes to make the argument that the 6.5 doesn't do anything the 260 Remington, 6.5x47, et al didn't already do. The same (I suppose) could be said of the 6mm versus 243 Winchester. Is it strictly the twist? The 243 doesn't come in factory form with anything faster than a 9" twist. What's that good to, 107 grain maybe? I'm thinking of adding the 6mm just for this reason, factory rifles available that will stabilize most bullets (specifically monos).

Thoughts?

I'll hate the 6mm Creedmoor if it makes you feel better.:D

I wouldn't build one, but I get why folks like it so much. Lots of good brass options, proven load data, good quality guns and great ballistics. I've used the 6x47 and 6.5x47 Lapua more, but it's the same performance with a different head stamp.

I think the 243 has more potential velocity with any given bullet but if a guy is hung up on working with a 2.800 OAL it starts to give up some of that advantage.

I've noticed in recent years how some companies (Browning with 7mm Rem comes to mind) are getting with the program and putting faster twists in their barrels. I've been holding out hope that the same mindset will trickle down to the 243 but that doesn't seem to be happening.

The hipsters of the shooting community think that the 6.5 has become too mainstream. Comparatively speaking, most people have never heard of the 6mm Creedmoor ;)

To look at them objectively, both are excellent cartridges. If I didnt already have a 6BR, I'd build a 6CM. And if I didnt have 6.5x55's, a 6.5-284, and a 6.5-06, and had a spare short action sitting around, I'd strongly consider a 6.5 CM

The hipsters of the shooting community think that the 6.5 has become too mainstream. Comparatively speaking, most people have never heard of the 6mm Creedmoor ;)

To look at them objectively, both are excellent cartridges. If I didnt already have a 6BR, I'd build a 6CM. And if I didnt have 6.5x55's, a 6.5-284, and a 6.5-06, and had a spare short action sitting around, I'd strongly consider a 6.5 CM

It's those PRS guys!LOL They can't handle the recoil from the "big" 6.5mm rounds so they have to drop down to the 6mm. I've been making fun of a buddy of mine who's a very competitive PRS shooter locally for always complaining about the recoil of the 6x47 Lapua shooting 115gr bullets in a 22# gun so he dropped back down to the 105s!

I have a 7.5 twist 243 match on my bighorn and im shooting 110 smks at 3100 with no pressure. Pretty impressed with it. I think the only thing the creed has over the 243 is the ability to keep oal a little shorter. I don't hate any caliber but I will be sticking with the boring old 243 for a while.

I have a 7.5 twist 243 match on my bighorn and im shooting 110 smks at 3100 with no pressure. Pretty impressed with it. I think the only thing the creed has over the 243 is the ability to keep oal a little shorter. I don't hate any caliber but I will be sticking with the boring old 243 for a while.

Same here. I built a 243 fast twist bolt gun.

The only reason I see for 6cm over 243 is feeding from an auto.

I do have all the parts for an ar10 with a dracos barrel in 6cm. Will be putting that together this year.

Nothing wrong with the 6CM and with all that everyone has posted, barrel life is around 1,000 rounds or a bit more for PRS shooters. For the occasional rec shooter it's not a bad thing. Me, I'm content with my 6.5x55. Don't see a need for a 6mm. Just my .02 worth.

I don't believe that people hate the 6.5 Creed anymore than they hate the 6mm Creed. What people get their shorts all tied up in a knot in is how the manufacturers have pushed and advertised the 6.5 Creed to be the end call, catch all, 5000 yard anti-tank round!! As a result of all the marketing hype and BS there are people out there who have drank that marketing Cool Aid. That's what people find so distasteful, not the cartridge itself. Remember about 4-5 years ago what the most popular, long range cartridge out there was?? Probably not because we no longer read about the cartridge's killing potential in every hunting, reloading and shooting magazine and all the hunting/shooting shows; the .280 Ackley Improved. When was the last time that we heard about how great the .280AI is/was; not very often if at all. Personally for my needs I would not own a Creedmore of any caliber, I feel that there are better cartridges to suit my needs. If I wanted a 6.5 caliber rifle, I would build a 6.5-06; personally I like the .270 calibers. It's not he cartridge that is hated, it's the over extended marketing hype and the people who drank the Creed Cool Aid. For me there's nothing to hate about the 6.5 or the 6mm Creedmore., they're both good cartridges.

Last edited:
Funny how the 30TC never caught on as it was supposed to be the new improved 308! When marketing wants to hype something up they'll go full tilt!

The main reason that older rifles manufactured by the big companies had the twist rates that they did was because back then there were not many different bullet weights available. Twist rates were designed for the bullets that were recommended at the time. Most cartridges were designed around an optimum bullet weight for velocity, and rarely did you see any of the bullet weights you see now.

Our sport has brought to light the advantage of heaver bullets for those that intend to shoot beyond 4 or 500 yards, so twist rates have also changed.

There are no "Bad" cartridges in my opinion, Just one that wont perform for certain game/uses. You will hear many different opinions on what is best. they are just that 'Opinions' and what is best for one is not necessarily best for another.

We make our choices based on many parameters and reasons. so I don't find any fault with a 6mm CM. For my type of big game hunting, 6mm is two light so I start with 6.5 and go up. for varmints anything starting with the 17 HMR and going up to .223 is fine. I also don't need anything over 45 caliber.

J E CUSTOM

This will be for a sub 400 yard deer rifle and banging steel in the back 40. I thought about calling Bergara and asking if I could get an HMR in 243 but I'm sure it'll cost extra. I know Savage would probably chamber a 7" twist (or whatever their 6mm is) barrel in 243 if you asked. I've already got 243 dies. I just don't feel like rebarreling my 788. By the time I get thru with that, a new stock, and trigger it's at the cost of a nice factory stick. And it just feels kinda clunky. It's either getting sold or going to the back of the safe for awhile.

I never had a 6mm anything, but my 6mm Creedmoor stacks 110SMK at the 1000 line in gusty wind just fine!

and-here-we-go.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.