Why do people hate Browning Firearms so much

I chose my browning abolt hunter because it came up to my shoulder amazingly! I also prefered the safety on the browning compared to remington or ruger or savage. I was the most impressed with how smooth the action was. I have never before or since felt a bolt that you could throw that easily. That was when I just wanted to shoot 100-200 yards at deer. But I glass bedded my stock, put the timney trigger kit on, bought a sightron siii, and spent time at the reloading bench and range and can pull of .5 moa at 300+ yds. It all depends what you are looking for. But I will not trade mine!

I have been hunting from Alaska to FLa, and almost everywhere in between, for over 40 yrs, and I have owned almost every brand rifle out there, in auto, pump, and bolt action;

My favorite auto is my BAR in 30-06 (1971 Belgian), my favorite pump is my Remington in 270, and my favorite bolt is my new Browning x-bolt in 243;

The new x-bolt has all the A-bolt has, plus some more goodies;

Anyone can get a 'lemon' from anyone who makes anything mechanical;

Dont knock these new Japanese Brownings; Remember their cars put Detroit to shame;

I wouldn't trade my new x-bolt for anything except a Weatherby, and I already have one;

I would bet that 75% of the glass that sits on top of most rifles is out of Japan!

Jon

The only browning I have owned was a BPS shotgun upland special I liked the bottom feed & eject because I am a south paw.
But I had nothing but trouble, it quite often would not fire the second shot after pumping I took extra care to make sure I cycled the action all the way though & it still acted up occationally. my brother also still has one his has become stiff to pump .both guns were taken to a smith. but no luck with either
I finally traded mine to a pawn shop & went and bought me a lefty 1187.
I'm sure there rifles are Ok but I,m just kinda ****y when something dosent work for me I try somthing else & if it works I am mighty loyal.

I've got two a-bolts. I bought the first one for a really good price at a sporting goods store that decided not to carry firearms anymore. It's a stainless a-bolt (II?) in 300wsm. It shoots better than I can. It will consistently shoot in the .3 - .4 range with 150 grain accubonds. I just wish it came with a longer barrel - it's only 23". The only thing I've done to it was added a timney spring kit to lighten up the trigger. The second a-bolt I have was won in a raffle. It is in 270wsm. I've not been able to get it to shoot with any bullet/powder/primer combination. So, my plan is to add a 26" Lilja and rechamber to 7wsm. But, I do really like the way the rifles come up to my shoulder and like the way the bolt throws as well.

Just my 2 cents.
gun)

I've got two a-bolts. I bought the first one for a really good price at a sporting goods store that decided not to carry firearms anymore. It's a stainless a-bolt (II?) in 300wsm. It shoots better than I can. It will consistently shoot in the .3 - .4 range with 150 grain accubonds. I just wish it came with a longer barrel - it's only 23". The only thing I've done to it was added a timney spring kit to lighten up the trigger. The second a-bolt I have was won in a raffle. It is in 270wsm. I've not been able to get it to shoot with any bullet/powder/primer combination. So, my plan is to add a 26" Lilja and rechamber to 7wsm. But, I do really like the way the rifles come up to my shoulder and like the way the bolt throws as well.

Just my 2 cents.
gun)

Ever try RL19 w/270wsm? I like even more than IMR4350. I worked up to RL-19/63gr, w/140ab's , WLRM. 3/8-1/2 " at 100yds (out of 5th nosler manual). Also Sierra manual load of Sierra 130 spt, w/RL-19 67gr, and WLRM's .75 @100. Out of my 270wsm abolt stalker

Gene

I've had quite a few brownings over the years when I think about it (more than I ever thought). Really the only one I didn't like was a 12 gauge O/U shotgun I used for pheasant hunting. It was a Browning Liege, and was built like a tank! But was heavy and with 28" barrels didn't have a good balance. Plus the way the cut the stock, didn't lend itself well to swing left to right for a follow thru. But the gun was great. I also own a BPS in 12 gauge that has the English stock. I like this very well, and I got rid of a nice 870 over it. My favorites and a few already know, are my Hi-Wall and Lo-walls!!! I also plink with a Buckmark that has the 9" barrel with target sights. It's a solid .62" pistol at 50 yards with Green Tag. Have never owned a bolt gun from them, but they all seemed to be just fine. But they are not an 1885!
gary

Last edited:
Gene - I tried every powder combination that I had on hand with 140 ab's, including RL19, to no avail. Those were the bullets I really wanted to shoot. I also tried 140 gr fail safe, 130 gr scirocco, and some Hornady bullets (can't remember which now it's been several years). There very well may be a combination that I haven't tried that will work, but I think I would rather rebarrel and chamber to either 6.5 or 7 wsm.

Gene - I tried every powder combination that I had on hand with 140 ab's, including RL19, to no avail. Those were the bullets I really wanted to shoot. I also tried 140 gr fail safe, 130 gr scirocco, and some Hornady bullets (can't remember which now it's been several years). There very well may be a combination that I haven't tried that will work, but I think I would rather rebarrel and chamber to either 6.5 or 7 wsm.

Guns and women, they all like something different. It's just finding one you can live with:D Just thought I'd pass on the load I just came up with a couple weeks ago while working on loads for my 338 win mag w/RL19. I was pretty happy using imr 4350 in our 270wsm w/140AB's. My boy's Savage likes the 4350 load more than my Abolt. But I didn't want to have juggle loads between both guns. I have yet to test his gun with the RL19 loads. I really like the performance w/AB"S. My boy KO'd a 6x4 muley two years ago at 250yds and I layed out a 5x5 muley at 150 with them.
If ya rebarrel in 6.5 would love to hear how that goes, sounds fun.

Gene

Heres my take, I have two Brownings. One is a 410 shotgun and the other is a 300WSM Browning target rifle. Both weapons have flawless fit and finish. My BPS shotgun is as nice as a $2500 Weatherby rifle. Both weapons shoot and hit their intended targets without a safety failure, crooked sights, trigger failure, or a failure to fire and extract and eject. Try that with any off the wall Remington, and I can tell you, that there is a very high probibility that you will encounter problems. I have spoken with gun dealers and in order to sell a Remington rifle or shotgun they have to go over evey one they receive from the factory with a fine tooth comb. They find many flaws that should have never left the factory and have to send em back. Not so with Browning. I bought a new Remington 22LR 39A for around 700 bucks. Out of the box it would not fire, extract, or eject. When it did manage to fire, after dropping the hammer on the same shell 3 or 4 times it would not extract or eject. I had to completly rebuild the rifle before it could be made serviceable. Now dont get me wrong here, I have a 30//06 Remington 700BDL that shoots like a house afire. I can shoot .5MOA or better all day long with that rifle. My wife did however, nearly kill me with a malfunction on that rifle. We were bear hunting, she was behind me with one up the pipe locked and loaded with the safety on. We were on our final stalk and we knew we were very very close in tight on that bear. When we next saw the bear we were about 8 or 10 feet from him. The old lady snicked off her safety (she was directly behind me and slightly to the right) and the weapon discharged into the ground. That's
about as close as I want to come untill the good lord calls me home.

Heres my take, I have two Brownings. One is a 410 shotgun and the other is a 300WSM Browning target rifle. Both weapons have flawless fit and finish. My BPS shotgun is as nice as a $2500 Weatherby rifle. Both weapons shoot and hit their intended targets without a safety failure, crooked sights, trigger failure, or a failure to fire and extract and eject. Try that with any off the wall Remington, and I can tell you, that there is a very high probibility that you will encounter problems. I have spoken with gun dealers and in order to sell a Remington rifle or shotgun they have to go over evey one they receive from the factory with a fine tooth comb. They find many flaws that should have never left the factory and have to send em back. Not so with Browning. I bought a new Remington 22LR 39A for around 700 bucks. Out of the box it would not fire, extract, or eject. When it did manage to fire, after dropping the hammer on the same shell 3 or 4 times it would not extract or eject. I had to completly rebuild the rifle before it could be made serviceable. Now dont get me wrong here, I have a 30//06 Remington 700BDL that shoots like a house afire. I can shoot .5MOA or better all day long with that rifle. My wife did however, nearly kill me with a malfunction on that rifle. We were bear hunting, she was behind me with one up the pipe locked and loaded with the safety on. We were on our final stalk and we knew we were very very close in tight on that bear. When we next saw the bear we were about 8 or 10 feet from him. The old lady snicked off her safety (she was directly behind me and slightly to the right) and the weapon discharged into the ground. That's
about as close as I want to come untill the good lord calls me home.

I have a 700 bdl 06 that did the same thing to me mine is a late 70's built, you have to put it on fire to lift the bolt to eject a live round that is chambered. Needless to say I don't chamber a round untill I am ready any more & I am extra carefull
ejecting a live round if I decide not to take the shot. My custom is also a 700 action but with a jewell trigger which I absolutly love but it's to lite to hoof around with one in the chamber.
but again I have had problems with my old bps as well as my brother had some with his.
For a rifle I now try to save and build what I know will be quality

I had a 30'06 with the Boss...I loved it...traded it for a trijicon NSN now I wish o had it back...killed a buch of deer with thing. i would agree that the only problem is the after market availability, thus the popularity with gunsmiths would wain as well
Dave

a 39A that wouldn't shoot? I assume you mean Marlin 39A. I've seen several of them shoot 1.38" and smaller groups at 100 yards using cheap ammo (wildcats). I have a 39M, and it will only shoot 1.5" groups at 100 yards (I think the chamber has a ding it from being dry fired). Have two 541's that are MOA rifles. Not trying to be negative, but just never saw a 39 that didn't shoot well.
gary

I own the following and have nothing but good things to say about Browning.

30-06 A-bolt
243 A-bolt
270WSM X-bolt

All three of these rifles are exceptionally accurate and I will probably buy more Browning rifles in the future.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.