Why no 270-08 ?

The nice thing about the 270-08 is how well it would fit the short action vs using the 284 case and if your looking for a 300 yard rifle that is short and light for a young one or your wife your not needing to push the envelope.

Sizing die would be the same price as the 7-08 because all you'd need is a 7-08 Redding S die with an appropriate bushing, same if you AI it.

If you are going to a sa 270 cal I'd seriously think about the 284 case since the 6.5x284 is so popular. It'll net you a bit extra case capacity too ( over the 308 family) which will get you to warp speed without as high of peak pressures. I'd think about a mid diameter (like a magnum taper) wrapped bbl at 22-24"too to help it be stiff AND light while still having good speed. Maybe on a remmy titanium or Kimber Montana action to save weight there also.

A valid point.
But I already have the Model-70 243Win just collecting dust. So ill stick with the -08 case. I'm with bigngreen on this one, for this rifles purpose.

clemens
Re: Why no 270-08 ?
Winmag- I say go for it, build what makes you happy no holds barred just go for it! You had that sweet .300wsm built on that mod 70 I believe this one will turn out great as well. Good luck

Thank you, I just might do it.

trebark
winmag - great thread! one of the best I've read recently.

Thank you. I like all the constructive ideas, & everyone is playing nice.

MontanaRifleman had a good point. It's Not gonna be cheap, if you want something different. Reamer, bushings, dies etc. add up quick. Especially for a one rifle build. Ill likely never use the reamer again after the first build, as my tastes are faster, & farther. But I still think itd be a great fit for what I wanna do. (Even if it doesn't make a lot of sense financially to go against the grain)
lightbulb maybe I can sell the reamer to Rhian at a slightly discounted pricelightbulb:D

A valid point.
But I already have the Model-70 243Win just collecting dust. So ill stick with the -08 case. I'm with bigngreen on this one, for this rifles purpose.

clemens
Winmag- I say go for it, build what makes you happy no holds barred just go for it! You had that sweet .300wsm built on that mod 70 I believe this one will turn out great as well. Good luck

Thank you, I just might do it.

trebark
winmag - great thread! one of the best I've read recently.

Thank you. I like all the constructive ideas, & everyone is playing nice.

MontanaRifleman had a good point. It's Not gonna be cheap, if you want something different. Reamer, bushings, dies etc. add up quick. Especially for a one rifle build. Ill likely never use the reamer again after the first build, as my tastes are faster, & farther. But I still think itd be a great fit for what I wanna do. (Even if it doesn't make a lot of sense financially to go against the grain)
lightbulb maybe I can sell the reamer to Rhian at a slightly discounted pricelightbulb:D

You might sell the reamer right here in the classifieds or keep it and rent it out locally and have it in case you want to do another.

You could use the 7-08 type S sizer and a Hornady 270 seater. Their seaters are designed to work with a number of chamberings in the same cal. Their 270 Win seater would probably work just fine. Personally, I would have custom dies made based on the reamer drawings.

Have fun with your project :)

Nothing for some folks. They are great performers.

But not a single one of those is 270, so I'm really not interested in them.

the 57mm improved Mauser case has been necked up and down for just about every caliber from .224 to .338, and all but one worked very well.
gary

Where's the like button when you need iy:Dgun)

Will this do ...

Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg

With a 243 a guy could neck up pretty easy, or a 308 you could neck down.

With all the talk about kid/women friendly cartridges I don't know why no one has done this.
Is there a reason that there isn't any real 308 parent case necked to 277?

I mean we've got it bracketed on both sides with the 243, & 7-08. Then we've got the 308, & 338 Fed, so why no 270 wildcat?
Seems to me like it'd be the one to benefit as far as case volume, & bullet wt goes.
Anybody got any idea?
I'm kinda brainstorming for a build. Now, I'm a very opinionated person, so Don't take it personally, but I'm not a fan of any 6.5, or 7mm in any configuration so that's out. The 338Fed just seem like a ballistic nightmare. And the 308Win frankly bores me to death. So, that leaves me with the 243. Ok, i know it'll do the job, but so will the others I've already mentioned. It just doesn't strike me as anything but a big coyote gun. Ya ya I know a ton of ladies who've killed Elk with them too (not impressed).

Please understand I'm not "bashing" anyone's favorite cartridges here. I'm also fully aware of the ballistic advantages of the 6.5, & 7mm's on paper. I don't need a tutorial on it. I just want something different, for my wife & daughter.
I'm a Huge 270, 30, & 338 fan in most configurations. They perform well on the critters we hunt in "out west". Plain & simple. But, For me, the 308Win case capacity alone rules out the 30, & 338 as ballistic dog turds, and the 243 (to me) is simply a cross over gun from varmint to thin skinned game.
I've got an old Model-70 in 243 that'd be a great platform for a build, so Why not a 270-08?

After reading all the replies on your post there will always be something better or easier to load for so
I think the answer is simple. Build what you want ! Not because its better or is popular IT,s what you want
Besides, as far as I know every thing that has been built off 30/06 cases have been performers, And everything that has been built off the 308 case has also been performers so what would be the problem with a 270/08 !

Enough said. Have fun

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.