Why no 270-08 ?

I shoot a 270-08AI, it is hands down my favorite mid range cartridge.
In my opinion it's the best thing you can do with an 08 case.

What brass are you using Marshal, I was looking at this more last night and was wondering about going up with Laupa 260 or down with Lapua 308.

What barrel length are you thinking? How light weight are you trying to achieve?

I'm thinking 20-22". I want it as light as possible, on a Model-70 S/A with minimal recoil, but still be Elk capable out to 300yds. And it's gotta be 270, just because.
I'm thinking it'll do all I expect of it, & more on this configuration.

I know most folks "get it". Just seems a lot of folks like to throw in their 2cents, without comprehending what the topic is. As long as its relevant to the task, I enjoy all the comments, experiences, & opinions that folks share. But its gotta be relevant. I dont want to beat a dead horse. Which is why I tried to steer it in one direction on my origional post. Its too easy to get de-railed, & loose track of what youre trying to accomplish when you go chasing rabbit trails every few posts.

Anyone can go get a run of the mill 6.5 "something or other". But (to me) those are for bench guys. Anyone can get a 7-08 for whatever their reasons would be for wanting one. Both are capable. BUT Both the 6.5, & the 7mm have been done over, & over, & over in every configuration possible. They've been beat to death. How boring!
I'd rather have a 270. It's cool. It hasn't been over done. & it's more than capable.
This is not intended to be a LR paper puncher type rig. Strictly brainstorming a light weight, 270 wildcat, with minimal recoil.

I want something a bit different, but still fully capable of what I want it for. I'm a huge fan of the 270, & I trust it. (Now let's see how many posts it takes for someone to go right back down the 6.5/7mm road without comprehending what this is intended to be:D)

I don't have the $ to do it right now anyway, but I'd like to get a direction nailed down, & start acquiring parts & pieces for when I do have the $.
Heck brainstorming the merits, & shortcomings of a build, with knowledgable folks like most LRH members is half the fun.
You'll find out rather quickly if your idea is ridiculous, or if it has potential. You'll also have a much better idea of what parameters to stay within. All this discussion saves time & money for when it's go time.

I have often wondered myself why it has never been done or hardly done.

Why? Becuase if you have the availability of the 7-08 why do a 270-08 It's almost the same thing except the 7 has a much better selection of bullets, headstamped brass and off the shelf dies. .277 vs .284 - the diff is .008

But hey, if it floats your boat (or his boat) then go for it. You should be able to get dies for about $200 :)

If you are going to a sa 270 cal I'd seriously think about the 284 case since the 6.5x284 is so popular. It'll net you a bit extra case capacity too ( over the 308 family) which will get you to warp speed without as high of peak pressures. I'd think about a mid diameter (like a magnum taper) wrapped bbl at 22-24"too to help it be stiff AND light while still having good speed. Maybe on a remmy titanium or Kimber Montana action to save weight there also.

6.8-284, shoot one of those as well, another very good choice for launching 165gn class bullets, 2950 is no sweat.

If you are going to a sa 270 cal I'd seriously think about the 284 case since the 6.5x284 is so popular. It'll net you a bit extra case capacity too ( over the 308 family) which will get you to warp speed without as high of peak pressures. I'd think about a mid diameter (like a magnum taper) wrapped bbl at 22-24"too to help it be stiff AND light while still having good speed. Maybe on a remmy titanium or Kimber Montana action to save weight there also.

Winmag- I say go for it, build what makes you happy no holds barred just go for it! You had that sweet .300wsm built on that mod 70 I believe this one will turn out great as well. Good luck

Plus 1. That would interesting, except I would go a little heavier to help absorb some recoil. Hopefully more bullet choices will appear in the .277 cal

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.