Why no 270-08 ?

As the Germans advanced with their 7x57 Muaser the Canadians and Americans soon realized that they we're up against a wall in fire power due too the lack of cartage range of their own weaponry !!! Things only got worse as the Germans soon found a new cartage in 8mm that they used to slow down the foreign invaders...

This was not well liked by the folks in the Americas as the metric firearms sent shivers too those that lost loved ones, and the Government at the time knew this all too well,,, it was at this time that the advancement of better fire power was soon in the hands of the allies. The USA army engineers had been testing a new concept of turning an all time favored case into the first ever known 30-03 that was soon too become what we know as today as 30-06,,, there was no way in h@!!'s garden would they name this new rifle 7.62 X what ever as the metric fear in the publics eyes was so real...

The Korean and Japanese was only distanced metric rifles from ever being sold here in North America, the Japan Oh-Saka rifle with metric bullet took many more lives as well. The first American metric rifle came as a 7.62x55 to replace the 30-06,,, it was too put fear too those that challenged used with their own metric armament...

This perhaps is why we use standard inch as measurement. It is too show respect too our fallen brothers and sister,,, I for one will always use inch form in respect to my 2 lost uncles and 3 that returned damaged... "Just me is all."

Any-Who, one can own what ever rifle caliber one chooses, and name it any caliber that suits our fancy, Ha.

One should not under estimate the 270 Winchester till you see the dude that turned his into a long distance shooter. 28" of glory.

She might have a long arss barrel, but she can reach way out dare too getter done.
270 Win For Long Range Shooting

Pal Don that is glad too share.
You sure about that? Because the .30-06 was designed and developed in 1906... And WW1 didn't start until 1914...

Also I think you mean 7.62x51 NATO, AKA, the .308 Winchester, which was developed in 1954 to replace the .30-06, as they were looking to produce similar .30 caliber performance in a smaller, lighter, and more compact package.

The USA joined in on the great war on Apr 6th 1917, Briton and Canada were at it with 303 British Lee Enfeild as they seen the very rare 30-06 in 1917 thanks too the USA that had a few too spare.

Could most likely be wrong on many of the dates since my computer is down.
Great war from 1914 to 1919. The USA had the 30 in service at the beginning of it.

And yes to 7.62x51 in 1954. The 30-06 did server in WW 1, WW 2, Korean war, and parts of the Vietnam conflict.

The main part I was meaning to bring up was calibers in North America were measured by inch less the metric system, it was thought at the time that using metric numbers would not be wise since metric muasers 7x56 and the 8mm took so many soldiers lives,,, this might of played a role that mm did not catch on till after WW 1 and 2.

I was trying too find out what the 30-06 came out in first, it might of been for a machine gun, then was fitted into the spring field 30-03 rifle too become the 30-06.

I'm more wrong than right since computer is down.

Thanks for clarifying.

Pal Don

Not a problem, I hope my post didn't come off as me sounding brash. I just re-read it, and realized it could have been perceived as such. My apologies if it did. It's hard to convey tone of voice through text.

Yep, we are still one of 3 countries I think that do not use the metric system. I know us, and Liberia are 2 of them. But can't remember off the top who the 3rd is.

And I could understand why the 7mm and 8mm metric calibers could leave a bit of a scar on the men who made it back home. They didn't want to shoot no commie calibers. :D

I agree, however, I am a huge 7mm fan. It is the perfect bullet. Some will argue the 6.5mm is, but they both share the same excellent mix of weight and diameter. Prime example is to compare weight-for-caliber ballistic coefficients of other caliber bullets compared to the 6.5mm and 7mm bullets.

My grandfather served under Gen. Patton in his tank division in Great Britain in WWII. He's never talked much about it, but I have always been fascinated and a bit of history buff, so I like to read about the great wars, because as the old saying goes, "Those who quickly forget history, are often doomed to repeat it..."

All good as I fumbled up on the dates from the get go, Ha.

The metric calibers soon came along, many of them back then were strait shooters, so it carried over here on this side of the pound.

Pal Don

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.