Why is the Forster CO-AX press so sought after?

I've had mine since 1981, back when it was called the "Bonanza Co-Ax" & never had any trouble with it. I've loaded from the .243 Win. up to my 30-378 Wby. Mag. & it's always performed exceptional.

Goodness sake- I want to trade all of my presses for several of these if they're able to deliver the performance and speed posted below on page 1 by kansaswoodguy...

"I just picked one up a couple months ago. I like the primer catching system for sure compared to my old RCBS Turret press, very fast die changes, very precise but slow priming. I do use it for my large rifle primer rounds that I don't shoot a lot of but I'm still priming 223 on the RCBS. I can't really say I think runout is any less. I sized around 400 .223 rounds in 30min the other day never dropped a single primer."

That breaks down to more than 13 cases per minute- I want some of these...

Haven't seen this one mentioned yet but take a look at the MEC Marksman single stage press. Like you, I took a hard look at the Forster last year when I decided to buy a new press. The MEC is built differently, but with the same principal that allows a "floating shell holder" to help eliminate run out instead of the die.
With the MEC you get to stay with the "traditional" loading practices and dies without any modifications, yet have a provision that allows the cartridge to "float" during the process. I've been using mine for about a year now with outstanding results.
The primer catch is simple and it works. I like anything that helps with run out but I didn't like the wait to try and find a Forster and the MEC is cheaper to boot!

Like the title says, I'm wondering what the deal is with these. What is so great about them? I have never used or seen one. Please let me know what I'm missing out on,
Thanks
The Forster is a great press when used with Redding Competition seating dies. Best combination I found to minimize runout when seating bullets. I'm into long range shooting now where every detail matters: case uniformity, bullet uniformity, concentricity, consistent powder charges (individually weighed). I've been handloading for nearly 60 years, starting with my dad's RCBS Model A press before I left home. Killed most of the game in my life and shot competition big bore using RCBS Model A, RCBS Jr, and RCBS RockChucker presses. Happy with all of them. Now that I'm old and don't have kids, I can pamper myself. My reloading bench has a Redding Big Boss for resizing and decapping, a Forster COAX for seating only my large rifle rounds with the Redding Competition seating dies, and a Hornady AP progressive for pistol. Pretty happy to finish out my years with this lineup. Although I do want to try a Dillion 650 Progressive. The Hornady A/P can be finicky. Except for pistol, I prime using the RCBS Universal Hand primer. It's quick and provides the feel needed to detect oversize primer pockets so those cases can be discarded. Lost an elk years ago because of an oversize primer pocket blew out. Don't like the burns to the face either. Also, I wouldn't want to punish my COAX by resizing magnum cases. Nothing like a heavy cast press for the bull work. Pampering the COAX to seat, straight, concentric final rounds. Good luck!

I have a Redding T7 a Forester co-ax and a Dillon 550. If I'm only testing loads I use the T7 or Co-ax. Once I find a load I set up everything in the 550 tool holder and load with the 550. Has the same runout as the other 2 if setup correctly.

Put it this way, no one press will be perfect for everyone.....but.....who can definitively name a press that is BETTER than a co-ax?
The only ones I have seen that COULD be are the German made prazipress......

In my opinion, It is only slightly better than other presses because everything has to be right to see an improvement in ammo quality.

When I bought mine it was to improve my load quality, with usual loading practices it made little difference. when I started to properly prep my brass and use quality dies I saw an improvement in the consistency of the ammo run out, now I check my brass for concentricity before I load it Now, and It appears to improve ammo concentricity from an occasional .004 to .005 thousandths run out. to a .002 to .003 worst case. With many that don't have any run out.

So in my opinion, if you take great care and attention to your reloading it is almost a must. If you just size and load unprepared brass/cases, I don't see the need in spending the $300.00 + dollars.

The press can only do as well as you can, it can't automatically solve every problem you might have.

Speed is not important to me, only quality.

J E CUSTOM

I can't say it any better than what JE Custom did.

I have 2 Coax presses. The older style and the newer one with more clearance. I can load .338 Edge with it and the older one is set up to go to the range with me (something I never do anymore). I like my Coax presses.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the Co-Ax not only allows the die to "float" but the case is also able to move from side to side in the jaws of the shell plate. When I bought a concentricity gauge my cases were coming out of my chambers with less than .001" run out.After neck sizing them with Redding comp bushing dies they would have up to .005" run out. This was with a RCBS Junior cast iron press. I bought the Co-Ax and now I find that there is no additional run out in my case necks. So in my case the Co-Ax does make more consistent ammo.
For those of you that are tired of the shell holder springs flying across the room when changing jaws Foster has made a new plate that has pins that hold the springs in place which can be bought as an extra. This is fitted to the new presses.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the Co-Ax not only allows the die to "float" but the case is also able to move from side to side in the jaws of the shell plate.

It's in there quite a few times.

Thanks for the heads up on the shell holder spring plate. My "new" one is old so I don't think it has that feature.

I purchased a shell holder adapter plate on EBay ( saw it on a youtube video) so I can use my shellholders with my COAX Press. It works great and I can use my Redding comp shellholders

Its the up and play in the die slot I don't care for, also I like the Redding competition shell holders that are available that make setting the shoulder back very easy, Obviously this is something the forster can't do except by adjusting the die

You can buy an adapter to use standard or the Redding precision competition shell holders. You do lose some of an axes of the float-(left to right in the automatic jaws).

Have used Rock Chuckers well for a few decades, but wanted a Cadillac so got the Co Ax, wasn't disappointed. Well made press, no slop other than floating Dies/Shellholder system. Lotta presses make good ammo, I find the Co Ax at or near the top in press quality and output.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.