Why is the Forster CO-AX press so sought after?

If you don't have one, why do you even comment?
Had considered buying one. But i study the item before making a purchase. Much info and videos to study online.

My conclusion was its not for me, and would not make my 300 yard groups smaller. Under 1" @ 300 yards if the wind , heat waves and mirage gods allow it.

Dies are more important then the press. Shell holder contact with bottom of fl dies is required. This is where the Redding comp shell holders are usefull. Full control of shoulder bump.

RCBS has said to square the fl die in the press, the shell holder needs to make contact with bottom of the die.

:)

Last edited:
I did buy an aftermarket upgrade to the floating shellholder from Manzgear; it's beefier, made from better steel, and the springs are captured (it pays for itself the first time you send one flying) making the switch from 300 WM to 223 a lot more pleasant
Good to know. Thank you.

This thread may talk me into buying a coax. But at age 74, may not want to learn new tricks.:D

This forum is about Co-Ax. If you do not have one, of have a desire to own one, why do you even bother to reply in here? When your wife sends you to get milk to a store, do you go and wash her underwear?

Below at the bottom is the OPs question who started this thread and he doesn't have a Co-Ax press. My answer is I do not need a Co-Ax press because I can get .001 or less case neck runout using a old Rockchucker press.

Bottom line if you do not have a good runout gauge and check your resized cases for neck runout it doesn't matter what type press you have.

Like the title says, I'm wondering what the deal is with these. What is so great about them? I have never used or seen one. Please let me know what I'm missing out on,
Thanks

Last edited:
@iShoot17
Depriming (bulk) on a Co-ax is also tedious because a full stroke is required to open and close the jaws.

I drank the Co-Ax Kool-Aid a couple months ago, and so far I love it for all the reasons everyone else has said......I have a mod for it, to fix what iShoot17 dosen't like, that I thought I'd share.....
I built a new jaw open pin......the short factory is shown next to it. The pictures should explain it.....I threaded a long rod 5/16-24, and ground to a point. A nut was ground round to clear the primer tube. This nut sets the depth for opening the jaws, as well as a bottom out for the press in a higher position. You lower or raise the whole bolt for longer or shorter shells. I also switched my primer container into a long tube into a bucket on the floor......without this, the long bolt would hit the lid on the factory jar, unless I cut it down. I also built a bracket to hold AKRO bins so I can "flick" the shells out like shown in the video. So far it seems to be working good!
20190218_195523.jpg
20190218_195940.jpg
20190218_200011.jpg
20190218_195921.jpg
20190218_195929.jpg

Last edited:
No shell holder is a major problem. When the shell holder contacts the bottom of a RCBS fl bottle neck type die, a safe usable head to datum is created 99% of the time.

I would not recommend a coax for a new reloader. Oversizing the brass can cause case separations. Some dont use or know how to use a comparitor.

More cost buying shell holders.
Hogwash.

ANY flat, metal surface, hardened to or higher than, the die, like the hardened and ground jaws of the CoAx (to the same .125" of an insertable shellholder), or an insertable shellholder, will create a surface for the die to settle against and become a reference. In that respect, a beginning reloader, is more than likely going to follow the directions included with the die and just screw that sucker down to the shellholder, tighten the nut and go to town.

I will agree that over working brass can shorten case life, but that can be done on any press, or a hot enough load.

Now, one thing I have gotten my old Rockchucker to do that I can't get my CoAx to do... is flex, causing inconsistent sizing.

The three most useful presses I have run across. For the money Bonanza is hard to beat and my choice for a first press. One press can not due every thing perfect, but some have been made that are **** close!

Attachments

• press 008.JPG
    press 008.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 223
Manzgear has the improved shell holder in stock. Four enclosed springs. Contact [email protected]. $45 shipped. PP or money order. I have trouble with my stock one opening up evenly when removing 44 pistol brass. The four springs should take care of it as you can adjust spring tension with set screws. Looks like a great upgrade.

Manzgear has the improved shell holder in stock. Four enclosed springs. Contact [email protected]. $45 shipped. PP or money order. I have trouble with my stock one opening up evenly when removing 44 pistol brass. The four springs should take care of it as you can adjust spring tension with set screws. Looks like a great upgrade.
It is a nice upgrade, Forster also makes an upgrade, their Elite jawholder, which is essentially the same in function. I don't know if they use the same steel, if I remember correctly, Mike uses 4140, and I haven't contacted Scott at Forster about theirs. Either way, no more changing jaws inside of a baggie (you'll understand the first time you fire one across the room into another dimension).

Up date on this press.
Now that I have had a chance to use mine quite a bit I can better evaluate it.

It has definitely improved the run out of my loads. earlier i posted that I check my fire formed cases before I load them to see if any run out was caused by the press and this helped me evaluate both presses better. If you start with concentric cases, and after loading you have some run out, ether your press is the problem or your process.

I used all the tricks to improve my Rock Chucker and found there could be improvements made. The same thing happened With the Forster after I experimented with some changes.

So no matter what press you have, unless you check the cases before you load you won't be able to prove you are actually gaining any benefit from any press or you mods to the press you have.

My conclusions are as follows, The features on the Forster can potentially improve the quality of your ammo if set up correctly.
If the press you have is machined very accurately It to can also produce good ammo if set up correctly .

In my case, I have found that the Rock Chucker I have, loads the realy big cases as well as the Forster. The Forster on the other hand loads better ammo in the smaller cases that don't require as much sizing force.

So I have set up both presses for this and find it works well for me.
If I am neck sizing only and seating bullets, I find the Foster has an edge.

I am happy with my Forster and have seen an improvement in the quality of my loads. With the human factor thrown in, it is sometimes hard to see much difference in accuracy but I know the better the ammo, the better the accuracy if only for a few thousandths of an inch.

J E CUSTOM

Believe the most of the hype. You can read all day long about them with a Google search. I like my Coax for seating on hunting rounds. Prefer my RockChucker for FL sizing on most everything. Use my Redding T7 for high volume varmint rounds. All 3 very good presses. My favorite things about the Coax is how quickly I can change out my dies and the fact that I don't need to change shell holders. Very fast and convenient when loading multiple calibers

Though for seating in rifles with custom tight neck chambers, I use a 21st Century Gen II arbor press with an arbor die made with my reamer from Wilson seating die blank

Never used a Forster press but I can see the advantage of a "floating" die (i.e. self-aligning).
My current press is an RCBS turret press with precision dies, either Neil Jones or Redding. Works fine IF I prep the cases properly.

Eric B.

I have the same Rock Chucker since 1988! Recently purchased the Lyman 8 position turret press and love that also.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.