Why is the Forster CO-AX press so sought after?

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the Co-Ax not only allows the die to "float" but the case is also able to move from side to side in the jaws of the shell plate. When I bought a concentricity gauge my cases were coming out of my chambers with less than .001" run out.After neck sizing them with Redding comp bushing dies they would have up to .005" run out. This was with a RCBS Junior cast iron press. I bought the Co-Ax and now I find that there is no additional run out in my case necks. So in my case the Co-Ax does make more consistent ammo.
For those of you that are tired of the shell holder springs flying across the room when changing jaws Foster has made a new plate that has pins that hold the springs in place which can be bought as an extra. This is fitted to the new presses.

+1
Mixed reviews, means mixed Opinions, and there is only one way to realy find out whether it is any better than a conventional press.

A very good friend, told me of the improvements in accuracy with his loading using the Foster. Being somewhat of a skeptic, I had to find out for my self. In an attempt to load better more accurate ammo and improve my loading process, I purchased two different concentricity tools and went on a quest to see where problems were.

Using the normal loading process of size and load without any real case prep, I found my ammo to have any where from .000 run out
to .008. The chamber run out could not be checked with any degree
of accuracy unless I did a complete case prep Including neck turning and fire forming. Once these fully prepped cases were fire formed, I found No chamber run out (.000 ). This told me several things. The chambers were not the problem (I have seen many poorly cut chambers that were not concentric) and case prep was very important for consistent accuracy.

With all cases checked for any run out, I started the loading process.
I used the older press first and found it would load better ammo using the fully prepped brass with less run out but still was not consistently producing cartridges with no run out. after setting up the Forster I saw an immediate improvement over the old system in the run out. I have still not been able to produce perfect ammo every time, But have reduced run out (Concentricity) to an average of less than .002 with many that have no measurable run out.

As I said earlier, It will not solve all the problems but will certainly help if enough care is taken in the entire process. Also If you like the different shell holders for Bumping the shoulder, They make a shell plate that excepts shell holders and is still able to float/Move.

So to find out for your self if it will improve your load quality, you must be willing to devote more time to loading good ammo, buy a good concentricity tool that can check your fired brass, and then fix anything that can cause run out before you load it. Then it must be checked again after loading to see the results, This is where a good measuring tool is necessary.

Is the Forester better? only you can determine that. Many people don't think that concentricity makes that much difference and are not willing to go to that much trouble, so it is their choice.

J E CUSTOM

I am still using the Bonanza version of the press and have had not problems. I have two factory rifles that I glass bedded that will shoot 10 shot groups of less than 0.5 inches at 100 yards. It is not unusual to get group a group. Of 0.3 inch.

Just my opinion, but.....
I've tried many different brands of reloading equipment over the years. RCBS and Forster have always been good to me. 21st Century Reloading is my new candy store. Their hand priming tool produces results I can't duplicate with any other tool.
At the end of the day, or reloading session, it all comes down to what you are happy with and feel confident in. If 5-8 thou run out doesn't bother you, life is going to be easy. 2 thou drives me nuts(er). I lose sleep at 3 thou.
What really gets to me is my concentricity tool. It has a warped sense of humor. It quietly sits on the reloading bench, watching, for hours, as I attend to every minute detail in producing ammo a benchrester would be proud to take to a national match.
Then, without warning or probable cause, my concentricity tool crushes my hopes and dreams. It just ain't right or fair.
What I have learned about that dang tool is, when it is launched at about 65 fps, it will drop 15' before it hits the back fence..............childish, yes. But it felt reallllllllyyyyy good. End of story? I wish. My faithful bird dog retrieved the stupid thing for me. What a buddy.

Wasted motion?

The coax handle moves about 180 degrees.

The RCBS about 50 degrees.

The RCBS would seem to get the job done faster?

RCBS shell holder to fl die would seem to set a better consistent sizing, head to datum.

Dont have a coax to know for sure.
Wasted motion? Nah, better mechanical advantage. MUCH smoother and easier than my old Rock Chucker, which I really appreciate after having my shoulder rebuilt. A person can fl size milsurp 7.62 with a little lube in one stroke without having a stroke.
The consistency from head to datum, well, using a case gage and my Starrett 2-3 micrometer I've yet to discover one that was outside more than .002" spread. The biggest deal is the self centering sizing, I have straightened many bananas and my runout is almost always less than a thou.

If there was a downside that would cause me to upgrade it would be that it can't take 1 1/2 - 12 dies and to that end I would look to a Corbin Mega Mite, essentially a coax on steroids.

I did buy an aftermarket upgrade to the floating shellholder from Manzgear; it's beefier, made from better steel, and the springs are captured (it pays for itself the first time you send one flying) making the switch from 300 WM to 223 a lot more pleasant.

Some questions about decapping on the Co-Ax. Are there any issues with decapping on the Co-Ax, or would it be better to have a second press just for doing this? If doing it on the Co-Ax, what decapping die works best on it?
What decaping problem, I have two presses for 30 years and never had a decaping problem

Wasted motion?

The coax handle moves about 180 degrees.

The RCBS about 50 degrees.

The RCBS would seem to get the job done faster?

RCBS shell holder to fl die would seem to set a better consistent sizing, head to datum.

Dont have a coax to know for sure.

If you don't have one, why do you even comment?

I still use the Rockchucker press I bought in 1973, my dies float and self align because I use Lee lock rings with their rubber o-rings. And the Lee lock rings are cheaper than buying a Co-Ax press.

I'm a cheap bastard and drive Fords and don't need or want a Lexus.

O-Rings on Dies May Reduce Run-Out
https://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/reloading/o-rings-on-dies-may-reduce-run-out/

This forum is about Co-Ax. If you do not have one, of have a desire to own one, why do you even bother to reply in here? When your wife sends you to get milk to a store, do you go and wash her underwear?

What decaping problem, I have two presses for 30 years and never had a decaping problem

On early presses, including mine, spent primers would bind in the drop tube and mangle the end of the tube. Forster will not replace the drop tube unless you pay the shipping to return the damaged tube and then will blame flattened primers. DILLON level customer service this is not.

I have seen people modifying the drops with a clear PVC tube. This is the first time to hear someone has a problem with it

The only time I've had a problem with spent primers in the drop tube was because of grime built up from the dirty primers going down the tube. Brushed the tube out and no problem since, they are a great press, wished I had 2

This forum is about Co-Ax. If you do not have one, of have a desire to own one, why do you even bother to reply in here? When your wife sends you to get milk to a store, do you go and wash her underwear?
That's amazing. It like when people ask which hamburger joint is better and you get the replies of "none, I make the best burger...."

Of course there is a conversion where Co-Ax can accept shell holders!

No shell holder is a major problem. When the shell holder contacts the bottom of a RCBS fl bottle neck type die, a safe usable head to datum is created 99% of the time.

I would not recommend a coax for a new reloader. Oversizing the brass can cause case separations. Some dont use or know how to use a comparitor.

More cost buying shell holders.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.