Why e-bikes give more exercise

No they don't.

Next up, riding the escalator burns more calories than taking the stairs.
Obviously, per pedal revolution, a regular bike requires more effort.

But if you actually take time to read the article - you will find the article's point is that the pedal assist bikes easier operation results in those riders spending much more time at it than if they only had a regular bike to ride. Therefor more exercise.

Quote from article:

Of course, riders who use a throttle-enabled electric bike won't reap the same level of benefits as pedal assist e-bikes that still require pedaling, though the outdoor benefits are still measurable even when using a throttle.

Obviously, per pedal revolution, a regular bike requires more effort.

But if you actually take time to read the article - you will find the article's point is that the pedal assist bikes easier operation results in those riders spending much more time at it than if they only had a regular bike to ride. Therefor more exercise.
you're right…this looks like a grueling workout.

Why go on a regular bike ride for 30 minutes when you can ride your e-bike for hours to net the same result. Makes sense.

E-bikes are can be great for some hunters. but the folks at electrek are spinning things to push their green agenda, but getting city commuters to ride e-bikes to work instead of driving their car. that's pretty obvious.

Since this is a hunting website and an e-bike section for hunting…if I ride a mtn bike from the trail head to a point 5 miles up the trail, I burn more calories due to effort and time than if I ride an e-bike up that is faster and requires less effort.

IMG_5061.jpeg

Last edited:
Good points, heat_and_fam

Last fall I rode my pedal assist bike 463 miles over 7 days. 22,000 feet of vertical gain. Spent about 8 or 9 hours per day. Pretty tiring. Fantastic experience.

On a regular bike that same week I would have biked zero miles...no motivation.

Good points, heat_and_fam

Last fall I rode my pedal assist bike 463 miles over 7 days. 22,000 feet of vertical gain. Spent about 8 or 9 hours per day. Pretty tiring. Fantastic experience.

On a regular bike that same week I would have biked zero miles...no motivation.

🤣🤣 touche' Len. That is certainly a possibility/scenario where the ebike is in fact more exercise.

There is just too much craziness in the media these days, trying to tell us something they want to push is best for us…eating bugs instead of beef, cereal is better for you than eggs, less effort required means more exercise, etc.

I completely agree with the study. I live at bottom of a valley in a very hilly area. My pedal non-assist bike just hangs in the basement. My old legs just don't want to get me up those steep hills. So many beautiful country roads are out of reach for me.

I started looking a e-bikes after reading your adventures in Wisconsin. I was overwhelmed by the options available. Any input would be welcomed in a good e-bike for hilly roads in the all in $3k range.

I was out pedaling my 'old pedal bike'....stopped a couple ladies pedaling their electrics....talked about the bicycle and the trike they were riding....
I've been pedaling for about 5 years....they been 'pedaling about 6 months....
........my five year at that time...about 4000 miles...
........their six months......one at 1800 miles...the other at 2200 miles.....
an "average cruise" for the was 60 miles a day.....average for me was 12-15 miles...
...my average week 60-75 miles......
the longest day for me was 50 miles....never again.....knees can't do that serious of pedaling....back aggravated...carpal tunnel inflamed......
After I hit my 5000 miles(4777) on bicycles I'm getting rid of them.....
Good electric bike......maybe......maybe a full electric motorcycle.......

I completely agree with the study. I live at bottom of a valley in a very hilly area. My pedal non-assist bike just hangs in the basement. My old legs just don't want to get me up those steep hills. So many beautiful country roads are out of reach for me.

I started looking a e-bikes after reading your adventures in Wisconsin. I was overwhelmed by the options available. Any input would be welcomed in a good e-bike for hilly roads in the all in $3k range.
Mark37082

There are so many good e-bikes out there. And by now there are lots of good used ones, too...as people fine-tune just exactly what best suits them. Rental places in recreation areas can be a good source to stretch budgets.

Right now before the latest models start shipping there are closeout prices too.

My only other suggestion for your search is to read a gazillion articles and meanwhile go out and try some in stores, ask lots of questions.

I was out pedaling my 'old pedal bike'....stopped a couple ladies pedaling their electrics....talked about the bicycle and the trike they were riding....
I've been pedaling for about 5 years....they been 'pedaling about 6 months....
........my five year at that time...about 4000 miles...
........their six months......one at 1800 miles...the other at 2200 miles.....
an "average cruise" for the was 60 miles a day.....average for me was 12-15 miles...
...my average week 60-75 miles......
the longest day for me was 50 miles....never again.....knees can't do that serious of pedaling....back aggravated...carpal tunnel inflamed......
After I hit my 5000 miles(4777) on bicycles I'm getting rid of them.....
Good electric bike......maybe......maybe a full electric motorcycle.......

Perfect example.

I'm an avid mountain biker. I'll ride 3-6 days a week in the warmer months. Of those days, I'll ride anywhere 7-14 miles 1-2'K vert feet. All depends on my work schedule and how much I can get out. My bike is pedal power.

With all that being said, I never see e-bikers on the trail(s) where I'm at. Sorry, I find this article laughable.

I'm an avid mountain biker. I'll ride 3-6 days a week in the warmer months. Of those days, I'll ride anywhere 7-14 miles 1-2'K vert feet. All depends on my work schedule and how much I can get out. My bike is pedal power.

With all that being said, I never see e-bikers on the trail(s) where I'm at. Sorry, I find this article laughable.
30 years ago, I used to do the same every day after work. Today, the golden years and health issues have made it hard for pedal power. As others noted, the pedal assist has sparked a renewed interest in the aging community to engage in outdoor activities.

MT has not fully embraced the e-bike, and it depends on which trails you are referring to. Trails with motorized restrictions are still off-limits. However, there are trails on BLM/WMA that you are allowed with permission from the program managers.

I do not see humor in the article, as it is clearly articulated and related by others. As with anything else, it is a matter of perspective.

I'm all for folks taking advantage of an ebike to get out if they can t do the hard miles on a bike, run, etc anymore.

But this article stating e-bikes are actually a better workout is yet another example of what's wrong with society today. Nobody wants to put in the work.

Not a shot at those of you who have done lifetime of hard work and been there done that in the mountain west…you've earned the easier trip up the mtn at this point…more a shot at those living in New York City, writing the is article trying to convince lazy folks to be even lazier and that somehow it will make them healthier.

Recent Posts