My hunting E-MTB "system"

The original argument the government made against motorized vehicles in wilderness and other restricted land was against the combustion engine, not tires on the ground. Guides horses and livestock over a 1000lbs that graze under lease do more damage to terrain and trails than my 55lbs bike with me riding on it does...
Impact is not just the rut of the trail. Impact is people pooping, littering, pis*ing, stomping around on plants off trail, and so forth. Look at national forest…

Many of wilderness that some of you talk about going into can involve water crossing and obstacles that if your toy ever stopped working, you would have little choice but to walk back.

If you can walk back, then you can walk in.

If you cannot do either…do you really have any business being there..? I mean at what point do we stop throwing the rules out…why not just shoot for the moon, and rent a helicopter.ame shots at animals from the sky and have grandkids hall the meat away on a side by side. Why not, right?

Last edited:
Impact is not just the rut of the trail. Impact is people pooping, littering, pis*ing, stomping around on plants off trail, and so forth. Look at national forest…

Many of wilderness that some of you talk about going into can involve water crossing and obstacles that if your toy ever stopped working, you would have little choice but to walk back.

If you cannot do either…do you really have any business being there..? I mean at what point do we stop throwing the rules out…why not just shoot for the moon, and rent a helicopter.ame shots at animals from the sky and have grandkids hall the meat away on a side by side. Why not, right?
That sounds terrific!

That sounds terrific!
I bet it does. Then when your grandkids are your age, maybe there will be no hunting in the west. Or it will be like hunting most a 8% success area. Things will be treated like national forest and there will be parking lots and bathrooms, and designated camp grounds that get decimated. Why even have wilderness?

I mean, you like the idea of wilderness to want to ride a ebike in it, and sit here trying to make a point.
You just don't care enough about the land, or rest of us to keep it protected.

Not sure why you're getting so bent out of shape. Who's talking about trashing land and going off trail? The OP is asking about other's hunting ebike setups. Impacts off trail? Nothing poops, pees and grinds native flora into mash faster than animals. We farm and ranch off horseback on 40,000+ acres in eastern OR, 25,000+ in eastern WA, and graze steep public land in ID - 1000 people don't impact "off trail" more than 10 cows on public land and cows don't stick to the trails; there's infinitely more impact being done to OUR public lands through lease by the same government restricting ebikes by .005% of the .02% of people who own ebikes in the western states that would actually take them out into areas we all hike or horseback into.
And the answer is yes, we all have business being on our own public lands, no matter the person's abilities.

Sorry OP that your thread got so far off-topic.
To answer your question, I ride a Luna X2.5 Extreme Enduro, on trail of course.

I bet it does. Then when your grandkids are your age, maybe there will be no hunting in the west. Or it will be like hunting most a 8% success area. Things will be treated like national forest and there will be parking lots and bathrooms, and designated camp grounds that get decimated. Why even have wilderness?

I mean, you like the idea of wilderness to want to ride a ebike in it, and sit here trying to make a point.
You just don't care enough about the land, or rest of us to keep it protected.
You're way off base, you don't know me or what we do at all. We are full time conservationists and ranchers, and if there's no more hunting in the west, it'll be because of the governments reintroduction of the wolves, not pooping and peeing citizens.

Now who's bent all out of shape…?
"I know" you were talking about impact, motorized traffic rule, and I know people. You give an inch, they take a mile….
..so don't go pretending I'm the one derailing ****.

No, you don't have any business going into places you can't get yourself out of. If you go off and get dead that's your problem, but if a rescuer gets hurt or killed…that's another issue entirely… that's for anyone, of all walks of life and ages.

You also ain't the only ranch owner here..

So how was it? I am considering the same ebike, or perhaps the new Triple Crown. Unfortunately, Colorado limits are 750 watts.
I'm loving tis bike for scouting and just enjoyment riding. It is made of quality components so no problems so far. I have Tannus tire liners (& smaller inner tubes, natch) and no flats - YET. Goathead thorns have not been a problem so far though the d@mn things are everywhere around Las Vegas trails.
After hunting season I remove the front basket but it is needed when hunting. My day pack goes there for more weight on the front drive wheel for better traction on the steeps.
** I'm now used to matching changing gears with changing pedal assist levels. The right combination is important both for saving my body's "battery" and saving the bike's batteries. Unlike most E-MTB's 5 or 6 pedal assist levels my E-CELLS has 9 levels for more gradual assist changes in tough terrain so you are much more likely to get the assist level you need. Dave Cleveland designed a great E-MTB.

Rene, the Canadian guy that owns Off Grid TREK and makes the solar blanket I use bought an E-CELLS bike like mine. He is now working on a compatible charge controller so you can take a solar blanket along bike camping and partially recharge bike batteries from the blanket. Or fully recharge them from a 2 day campsite if you leave the bike at camp. No need to bring the bike's charger along B/C you have the charge controller.
This is a big deal for E-MTB bikers who want to camp or tour on pavement and still have backup where no AC electricity is available.
Off Grid TREK's newest 220 Watt and 300 Watt blankets weigh only about 4 pounds. A charger will weigh about 1 to 1.5 pounds with cable to your bike.

Litehiker
I really like your setup for eMTB.
I've wanted one for years now but had no idea what was needed for the support of having one in the backcountry.
Thanks for sharing

Recent Posts