Why do so many people not like the 338 Lapua?

But if you actually hunt elk and see a number of bulls taken with both repeatedly, you might understand why some choose a large 338.
Jeff

I've never shot an elk, but having observed the .338 bullets impact large brown bear and moose, I reached the same conclusion. The superior killing affect on really large animals is apparent with the .338s, compared to the 7mm and .308 bullets. Drop down to deer and black bear-sized animals, and the visible affects of the larger caliber bullets on game isn't really apparent, in my experience. In fact, a high velocity, smaller caliber bullet with often drop these mid-sized game animals faster than the larger caliber bullets traveling at slower velocity. Bullet speed with an expanding bullet seems to be the quickest killer of game weighing less than - say - ~400lbs in weight.

Those hunters experienced using .375, .416, and .458 caliber bullets on large Alaskan brown bear (900-1300lb) normally agree. The larger the caliber of the bullet, given equal sectional density, the more effective the kill. The .458 bullets from a .458 Win Mag will often deflate big brown bear at close range with a single solid hit to the chest.

With respect specifically to Long Range Hunting, the .338 is about the largest caliber offering with cartridges/bullets developed and commonly available to provide a good blend of high ballistic efficiency, offering high levels of retained down range velocity, energy, and lethality. All with tolerable recoil on a muzzle brake equipped rifle, or a suppressed rifle.

I have always liked the .338 caliber for some reason. partly because of the information out there and partly just because. recoil wise/accuracy wise, if someone made a very accurate recoil controlled affordable rifle in the 338 win mag I would be all over it. I have yet to find one. I think years ago Remington did make a Sendero in that round but I have never found one. the frustrating thing about firearms companies....they might make nice models, but don't seem to make it in enough cartridge variations. I suppose I could get a custom order but then that "affordable" option will likely go out the window.
for me, I really like the Savage FCP series....I did place a call to Savage to see what it would cost to have a model 12 LRP but in 6.5-284. cost would have been $1700. ouch what a cost increase. so, I stick with off the shelf models.

Ill echo Timber 338 post#20 and Broz and others.There are alot of serious elk hunters using 338.I started with a 340 wby over 25 yrs ago and been using 338 NM last 4 in 2 different rifles.Son has some time on one too.They are hammers and the right tool for me as a elk hunter mainly.The couple moose Ive shot made it about 5 yrds.Ive shot everything with 338.I like having the range and energy if I need it.I have 3 walls like this in my shop from my success w/338

Attachments

• sp shop.jpg
    sp shop.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 115
Then why not just buy a .30-06, and save yourself lots of money?

I'm not discrediting the .338 LM, just saying that if you want to download it to .30-06 performance, why waste the money doing so and cutting a caliber's performance, instead of just buying a .30-06 and hot-rodding it out?

Irrelevant question. Why....... Because he wants to and because he has the freedom and and finances to do so. We all have our favorites, for some it is 7's or 30's or big bores, etc. He is free to enjoy as he pleases.

Here's my take, if you don't have much long range shooting experience and don't have deep pockets start with the 6.5 and learn/perfect your abilities while gradually buying components for the next project. This has been exactly what I have done when I was in your shoes. I started with the 12lrp on pre-order before they came out and have used it over the last number of years to really learn my reloading and shooting technique while squirreling away components for a big gun. I was dead set on a 300wm until I actually sat down and compared the price per shot to the big 338. It was something like a $.10 difference between the 300wm and the .338 figuring in brass life. Now granted the 338 has a huge start up price for components and again this is why you buy gradually and stock up.

As to the fcp, this was my choice as well. I didn't care for the stock or barrel profile of the lrh and the ba is very comfortable to me in a prone position but is a heavy pig at over 20lb for the one I was shooting. The fcp is a good balance imo and I really like the hs-precision stock. To me what holds all the savage factory offerings in 338 back is the barrel length. The kind of hunting I intend to do with this type of rife and with a weight already in the 14lb range I don't expect this to be a nimble gun and I really feel like a gun like this should have at least a 28" barrel and 30" is even better for performance. with the savage offerings having 26" tubes I didn't feel like I would be maximizing this cartridge so I decided to build instead. I picked up a savage 110 LA for $250 sold the factory barrel for $100. I bought a hs-precision take off stock for $400 and a shilen stainless select match 30" bull barrel with a DE brake (32" total) for $500, I upgraded the recoil lug to a .33 precision ground lug and the barreled action is out for coating right now for $125 so I'm about $1250 into building what I wanted at the same price as I would have spent on the fcp but I now have a custom barrel and get the gun coated. Weight for gun and bipod is 12.3 pounds ( haven't decided on scope yet)
hope I didn't derail this too badly, good luck with your decision ( sorry to all you spelling/grammar nazis, I'm stuck on my phone and spell check is being weird.)

Why do so many people not like the 338 Lapua?

For no other reason than "Haters gonna hate!".

I admit it- I hunt deer with a 7mag, I hunt deer with a 30-06, I hunt deer with a .308, and I even hunt deer with a .243. But if I really want performance at longer ranges I take a .338 loaded with heavy high BC bullets.

I have a hunch that the reason many people keep shooting down the 338 Lapua is because of hearsay. Just like anything else, one bad issue usually outdoes a 100 goods. it's just how things are spread around.

I do have to say, it is nice to see there are many more 338 positive people out there than I expected.

one thing I am learning from reading online....doesn't matter what cartridge/rifle/scope you get....there will always be nay-sayers or "this is better". nothing out there is perfect. so I am getting to the point of "get what you like, learn to use it right and make it work for you" .

As for starting with the 6.5 Creedmoor to learn long range shooting then upgrade...I have never had that mentality. tried it. doesn't work. reason....each and every time you change equipment to upgrade, you lose $$. nobody will ever get their money back on equipment resale. better off, if affordable, getting the equipment you want and learn how to use it. if it were up to some people their idea would be (if you are just getting into shooting to hunt) first get a BB gun. learn that well. get a 22...learn to shoot that. get a 243...learn to shoot that...get a 308....and so on.

yes I have already done some long range shooting. went up to 1200 yards with my 300 ultra. recently went up to 1275 yards using a Knights Armament in 308 with SF guy. He is who is responsible for my getting into long range again. to me not much compares to long range shooting and all that is required to get there.

Then why not just buy a .30-06, and save yourself lots of money?

I'm not discrediting the .338 LM, just saying that if you want to download it to .30-06 performance, why waste the money doing so and cutting a caliber's performance, instead of just buying a .30-06 and hot-rodding it out?

If I were asked that question I would say because you can't hotrod a 30-06 enough to perform at that level. You can however load down a couple notches.

But you're a smart guy and I'm sure you could have figured that out...safety first!:D

I have always liked the .338 caliber for some reason. partly because of the information out there and partly just because. recoil wise/accuracy wise, if someone made a very accurate recoil controlled affordable rifle in the 338 win mag I would be all over it. I have yet to find one. I think years ago Remington did make a Sendero in that round but I have never found one. the frustrating thing about firearms companies....they might make nice models, but don't seem to make it in enough cartridge variations. I suppose I could get a custom order but then that "affordable" option will likely go out the window.
for me, I really like the Savage FCP series....I did place a call to Savage to see what it would cost to have a model 12 LRP but in 6.5-284. cost would have been $1700. ouch what a cost increase. so, I stick with off the shelf models.

I agree with FCP comment. If I trade the BA110 it would be for the FCP in 338 Lapua. I have that same HS Precision stock on my 6.5 Creedmoor and it is the best stock I've ever owned. The barrel, judging from the length and twist rate, is the same barrel as on the BA110. It is a lot lighter rifle so the shoulder may suffer a bit more but what the heck.

As far as converting the FCP to 6.5-284, you could just rebarrel it.

I did consider rebarreling the LRP....then I have to add a new barrel and go/no go gauges to the cost of a LRP. was really hoping that Savage would do that at a much more affordable cost. have not checked into it but not sure if the bolt head would also need to be worked on.
I figure, the 6.5 Creedmoor is close enough to the 6.5-284.
that LRP Creedmoor must be such a sweeeeet shooter.

I did consider rebarreling the LRP....then I have to add a new barrel and go/no go gauges to the cost of a LRP. was really hoping that Savage would do that at a much more affordable cost. have not checked into it but not sure if the bolt head would also need to be worked on.
I figure, the 6.5 Creedmoor is close enough to the 6.5-284.
that LRP Creedmoor must be such a sweeeeet shooter.

The LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor is a sweet shooter. I'd read about the caliber and thought that I wanted one at some point in the future. I stumbled into a local gun shop and they had a used one in the rack with the HS Precision stock with the vertical grip and palm swell. It looked new as it had no dings and the bolt face looked like it hadn't been shot a lot. I grabbed it along with some 120 grain Hornady factory ammo to test with. Took it to the range and it was shooting 1/3 MOA with that factory ammo. Started developing loads for it and settled on 40.9 grains of H4350 and Berger 140 grain Hybrids set .020 off the lands that were giving me 1/4 MOA. It's the most accurate rifle I own and it's now my F Open competition rifle for 300-1000 yards. That load remains supersonic past 1200 yards and I've fallen in love with 6.5's of all types as a result of this rifle.

I was dead set on a 300wm until I actually sat down and compared the price per shot to the big 338. It was something like a $.10 difference between the 300wm and the .338 figuring in brass life.

I'm glad somebody else has the sense to actually sit down and add up the cost from facts instead of just continuing on perpetuating the myth that the 338's are WAY more expensive to shoot. Facts are your friend, not he said-she said. If you have a 700 action I'd build one of the smaller cased magnums like the Win Mag or Ultra Mag's. If you're going with a custom action the Lapua is hard to beat on just the virtue of case quality and availability

Unless you're shooting Brown Bears and Elk beyond 1200yds there's simply no advantage to the 338L or even 338 Rum for that matter over the 300wm and 300Rum.

I've shot the 338L but I've also shot the Barrett .50 and quite a few other big rounds. I see no point in owning any of them however because they simply offer nothing but more recoil and much greater cost for ammo/components vs my 300's and 7mm STW.

If I lived and hunted in Africa I'd certainly have a different opinion but I don't and never will.

To the question of overkill we've seen a good many pictures posted here of game killed with the 338L with huge holes blown through them and a great deal of wasted meat as a result so yes, overkill very much is an issue.

If you want one go for it but don't kid yourself into believing you need it to take any
game in N. America.

We see endless examples of all of N. America's big game taken at long range by members on this site posted every year with everything from the 6.5saum to 300wm so obviously nothing bigger is necessary.

+1. I owned and shot one for a few years and found that if I had to stretch range and
power for larger game, the 300WM was a more practical hunting rifle. It's too big, too heavy, too costly, and I believe that with killing power, dead is dead.IMO

If I were asked that question I would say because you can't hotrod a 30-06 enough to perform at that level. You can however load down a couple notches.

But you're a smart guy and I'm sure you could have figured that out...safety first!:D

A 26" .30-06 AI can push a 185 VLD over 2,900 fps... I'd say that's pretty fair level of performance.

As smart as you think you are, and as dumb as you think I am (apparently), I still don't understand why you would waste a $1.00 projectile and a firing on your brass that was derated, when you could simply buy the proper rifle to begin with. If you load the rifle down to hunt locally, then it's obvious that you don't need a rifle that powerful to begin with. If you hunt out of state a lot, then that's one thing, but if you never hunt out of state where you need something of that caliber, then why own it? There is always that "because I wanted it" factor, and if that's the case, then why not load up full-power loads and go shoot it? Last I checked there are no elk, caribou, moose, or brown bear in Louisiana. And more whitetails per year are killed with more .243, .270 and .30-06 rifles than anything else.

I hunt with a 7mm RemMag, as well. But even it is slightly overkill for whitetails. But I like the flat trajectory.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.