Why not the 6-RSAUM?

sscoyote

I'm thinking about starting a twin project for a rifle and XP-100 pistol. I need long-range spot and stalk coyote guns. I'm thinking of a 6mm-RSAUM. The 300 RSAUM case is only about 13% larger than the .284 in case capacity. I'm going to be using bullets from the 87 gr V-Max to the 105 A-Max. I'm wondering though if i'm going too big here. The guns will only be used on coyotes so will not get a lot of use/year. Any comments or ideas on barrel life, etc.??

I have been thinking about changing my 7mm RSAUM to a 6.5 RSAUM at some point. Is the 7mm RSAUM case the same size/capacity as the 300 RSAUM?

Doug

Hey 6Guy-- of course nothing's wrong with it. I guess that's why i posted the question here-- will i realize any advantage over the .284 case in a 26" barrel?? 100-- 150 fps maybe?? I think i'll get better downrange terminal ballistics, but i admit to not having enuf experience in this area to really know.

I don't know DWM.

[ 01-20-2004: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

6/284 is over bore for 6 mm ( over maximum water capacity for the caliber ) if you add more powder with a bigger case you only gain few fps but loose a lot barrellife and get serious carbon fouling in barrel , maximum usefull water capacity is 06 case for a 6 mm

best way is to use an optimized design as 6 Shedanne 6/284 short body with long neck or use a 6/223 WSSM IMP that fat case look as steoride BR case and probaly very efficient case specilay if you plan to use in short barrel on XP100

good shooting

DAN TEC

To go all that trouble - why not just the .243 WSSM? It already has a pretty sharp shoulder.

the wssm's seem to be about the same as a 308.

a 243 ack or 6mm ack is about as overbore as you can go efficiently without killing the barrel pretty quick--a 6mm ackley with an 87 vmax would be a laser to 600yards-the 105 would really show its stuff past there.

JB

And for those that don't like sharp shoulders etc what can one get out of a 6mm-06 comfortably?

Sscoyote, the 243 WSSM case holds approx. one half of a grain more powder than the 243 Win. case. I have filled both cases with H4350 to verify this.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.