Why are custom rifles so Pricey??

I don't need $10000 worth of equipment if I pay them to do the barrel work and chambering.

True. And just because a guy has the tools, doesn't mean he knows how to use them or takes the necessary care to do a first class job.

I believe some reputable smiths have already responded. What I like about these guys is that they are knowledgeable and responsive. Also, their work shows up in this forum a good bit and if they do a shoddy job, you'll most likely hear about it.

Regarding some of the pricier options, some might simply be money down the drain. However, you're often paying for special expertise, R&D for wildcat cartridges, a proven formula, rifle break-in, load development, drop data, etc... All of which is of value to some and not others.

Best of luck to you,
-- richard

The advantage I see in building a custom rifle "With" an individual smith is the one on one(Personal)
experance you should have and the level of quality as apposed to having a company assemble your
rifle.

A lot of the custom rifles are pre-made and the quality suffers because they are no more than a
high end factory rifle that was production built in order to make more money,and the price may
be more than from a smith that has his reputation on the line every time.

Prices vary based on the amount of work required to reach the level of accuracy that the
smith is required to,or guarantees in his work. and I would bet that the price does not vary
much with the better smiths that take all the time to give there best.

There is no magic formula for building an accurate rifle, just care and experience and some
luck because all barrels are not the same. If a smith does his part and has all good parts you
should end up with a rifle that will shoot sub 1/2 MOA. and with luck and a barrel called a "hummer"
one that will shoot under 1/10th MOA.

In many cases the High End custom can be cheaper than a production custom or the factory rifle
because of the expense of trying to make the rifle shoot to your requirements. I have seen
people spend many hours and ammo trying to find an exceptable load and never succeed.

So is the Custom worth the extra money? I think so.

J E CUSTOM

Many of the custom rifles I have seen on this sight are so expensive because the customer "wanted" certain things done. I'm all for getting what you want just because you want it. A rifle does not need Cerakote, flutes, fancy stock finishes, or custom bottom metal to shoot, but many people want these things or more done to their rifle to make it just like they want. My custom rifles are more in the category of only the things I need to make the rifle shoot very well. Hopefully someday I will be able to afford the things I "want" done to a custom rifle. I have saved the most money on my rifles with plain finishes and less expensive stocks.

totals at $2350

so lets say $2500

what do rifle makers do for that extra 1000.00 ???

They bring their experience, shop full of tools (probably close to $25,000 dollars worth or more in some cases), working space, licenses, and skill, to work on building your rifle. They use their skill and experience to identify the details that need to be delt with in preparing and assembling your rifle. They have an inordinate fixation on the details that make the difference between a factory rifle and a custom rifle.

Since I've been building my own rifles and have learned to inspect factory rifles, there is a definite difference.

That said, factory rifles are better, more accurate, now than they've ever been. For varmint rifles and ordinary big game rifles at 300 yards and under, it almost doesn't pay to have a custom done if you get a little bit lucky buying some brands and models of factory rifles.

I own a 9" twist .22-250 Savage LRPV that shot slightly larger than caliber size groups @ 100 yards and out scored all but a couple of custom rifles when I entered it in a couple of ground hog matches (won factory class easily).

But rifles for long range big game hunting, which requires some rather muscular cartridges, are a different story, and the place that custom builders can outshine factory rifles. The big cartridges are harder to make as accurate as varmint cartridges or .30-06/.308 and under. The details really really matter with the big .300's, .338's, and up. Done right, which means close enough to perfect that one can't figure out the difference, they are worth every cent.

Getting close to perfect every time takes a lot more than luck. That's what you are paying for.

Edited to add: And once you have your custom long range big game rifle home, plan to spend at least $2,000 for a scope that will do it justice.

But opinions vary, which is what makes forums fun.

Fitch

Last edited:
Thru the years, I've heard comments similar to this so many times I consider it a cliche. I think those making such comments are being disingenuous. I believe the reason a person charges $100 for something is because they think they wouldn't get enough business if they charged more. I think you need to be candid and honest but I see nothing wrong with charging whatever you can get. I don't care what someone charges for something as long as I have the option of not buying it.

My friend you either have more money then you know what to do with or some issue's that need resolved.

Price does not mean quality by any means. Nor does it mean customer service. I seen some work by smiths that charge twice as much as others and it looks like a blacksmith did it. Also I seen these same smiths not return or take phone calls or emails. Have a customers rifle for almost a year and not return an email or call.

And the comment about not charfging a certain amount bacuse they are afraid someone won't buy it? Seriously these guys are in business...of course they need to make sure their prices are fair enough to reel in customers.

To many smiths change once they get their "FAN CLUB" established. Just like buying shoes or anything else. Got a certain logo and the shooters will come. I commend you Kevin for not being one of these gunsmiths.

I have MCR rifles...I'll put them up against any like rifles on this site for their looks and performance. I'm sure many others will step up and do the same.

Hey I just wanted to say a few things to the people who have been commenting on here. I just wanted to indicate that from my view this had 5 pages already. I just wanted to input what I have observed from this. It started off from a person who is a bit perplexed by why the rifles would cost so much when the parts are just a small part of the total cost by his calculations. It (the thread) seemed to have been taken over by a lot of gunsmiths arguing over whether he had been quoted a decent price or not or if they may have been able to offer a better price or not.
I used to be a mechanic and all my career have listend to stories about how shops rip off consumers and badmouthing that went along with the tv shows.
I now work a desk job and have been for almost 10 years and most of my coowrkers know that I used to be a professional mechanic. They come to me when they had to take their cars in for reparis and they think the 1200$ bill was to rip them off. WHen I look at it and tell them the that half was for parts and the other half was a reasonable time for the repair they start to calm down. I usually tell them that it would probably take that much time or more to acutally do the job the seem to like it a bit more. People just need to be told they didnt get ripped off. That is it. I think that dodgefreak just wanted to know what the money was going to. on page 4 it seemed like he or she was happy to get info on why they would cost that much and seemed happy to pay the money for one at that point.

Not a problem to get $6,500 in an average Bells and whistles Rifle! But that is cold turkey, When someone has nothing to work with and everything is needed. The largest cost driving factor is always the customer himself. Does anyone ask me what they want or are they trying to impress me with their culinary skills and actually get what they insist upon. How many people will actually start a build early enough with enough time to give a guy a chance to come up with a really good alternative deal. ARE WE GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO SCOUT AROUND AND OFFER SOME KEEPERS. From my point of view a lot of folks insist on dilling their own pickle!

Some Lawyers charge 200.00 an hour and some over 1500.00 and hour.. Where there is a demand the market will set the price.

You can also get free and/or cheap legal assistance on the Internet that will suffice just fine in some cases.

But, when your fanny is on the line, $1500/hr may be the far better value.

-- richard

Like I stated before I never questioned any smiths ability to do go work. To break my question down a little, what services other then installing a barrel do the smiths perform on a custom rifle that justifies at LEAST $1000.00 over the parts and barrel install. Now as I have made clear this is an honest question. Is there a lot involved in installing a trigger that makes it a job for a gunsmith? Now we have already confirmed that stock work can really add cost to a build and that is probably where some of that expense shows up. There are some rifles that I understand the higher cost. Take Allen Precision Rifles, He is not only selling the rifle but the cartridges that he perfected and all the knowledge gained from extensive testing. He is selling something unique with those rifles. I also understand an increase in cost when offering an accuracy GUARANTEE. there are risks involved in doing this that are out of the smiths control like barrel quality. But to just claim the rifle is a 1/2moa rifle and not guarantee it does not in my eyes justify higher costs.

Let me ask another question that might relay my question better. Can I build a rifle myself using quality parts and expect the same accuracy? Having the smith do the barrel work and saving myself at least $1000, is this a realistic expectation?

dodgefreak8 The only thing that I can think of that you might not be able to perform yourself would be the chambering and correct installation of the barrel. Many of us started this way! If you take your time the flavor of eating mistakes goes away, although they never will taste good. If you are like us your next stop will be to purchase a machine shop and at this point you will be able to establish your own price-lines and have the pride of standing behind your own guarantee of accuracy.

I have to say ken nothing you are saying is making any sense and you haven't answered anything....... I understand there is substantial equipment involved! And no I don't want to go buy it but some of the gunsmiths have prices clearly marked on there sight and in doing the math of the parts and the services to build the rifle they don't add up. I want to know where that extra $$$ is going. This is so I know I am not skipping some critical step in a build. And in answering your question about plumbers. Do you enjoy playing in someone elses crap??? I rest my case!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.