Custom Rifles

Murph

Ok guys !

What is the average or normal timescale for a totally custom rifles build, including a stock from "McLate". the reason I ask, is that a friend of mine has a rifle being built by an un- named riflesmith who I dont think is bullsitting him but is getting some flak. so anyone who has had a rifle built from scratch can you post your real delvery times and any " hiccups" you encontered on the path to delivery.
I already know of at least two guys who have a rifle running about 20 weeks late because of "stock" sourcing issues is this an acceptable practice due to military orders or not ???

All the best

Murph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
i've been waiting on my 300 win mag 16 months its getting teflon coated right now so i should have it in a couple of weeks. I did tell my smith there was no rush . the stock from mcmillian did take about 6 months to get

It really depends on the smith and availability of parts as you are finding out.

I like to gather my parts first, especially hard to get ones such as action, barrels and stocks and then go to the smith. At that stage most reputable smiths will give you an accurate timetable on completion.

I have seen it from as little as two weeks to 6 months.

Several good smiths here and go to www.6mmbr.com and look at the recommended smiths there also. Most of those have also been building LR guns for years and are topnotch and reputable.

BH

I tell my customers 6 to 8 months with a big disclaimer that it all depends on the componants getting in shop on time. STocks and receivers can set a project back that long on their own but this is the time frame I tell my customers and if there will be delays, I do my best to explain them to my customers as far as why, and for how long if possible.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
It really depends on the smith and availability of parts as you are finding out.

I like to gather my parts first, especially hard to get ones such as action, barrels and stocks and then go to the smith. At that stage most reputable smiths will give you an accurate timetable on completion.

I have seen it from as little as two weeks to 6 months.

Several good smiths here and go to www.6mmbr.com and look at the recommended smiths there also. Most of those have also been building LR guns for years and are topnotch and reputable.

BH

[/ QUOTE ]

+1............. I like to have all the parts then send them off to the smith. Makes it easier for all parties.

JMO,
Frank D

Some of the bigger builders will actually have a few of the more popular McMillan stocks, custom barrels, and possibly even actions on hand. That sort of thing cuts down considerably on time delays. Once all the parts are on hand, the actual assembly of a bolt gun doesn't take all that long.

A small one-man shop, where the guy is doing everything from taking phone calls to ordering the parts, to actually doing the work... It's likely to be a while...

Murph

Stocks seem to be the biggest problem unless you are haveing a custom action made.

If you have all the parts (action,barrel,stock and trigger)
And if the smith can start 2 to 4 weeks is plenty of
time.

Reamers and head space gauge's can be a delay if you want a
wildcat.

Talk to your smith first and make sure your on the same page
make a list of what you will furnish and what he will supply

Most problems occur when things change so plan your custom
rifle/pistol with the smith an work the plan with no last
minute changes if possible.

Have fun
J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.