Why are custom rifles so Pricey??

Edd. A good Remington action and a new stock plus a quality barrel and the smithing that you want
should cost $1800.00 to $2,000.00 Max.

Then add your optics and bases.

I just built a rifle (For myself because the labor is cheep)with everything you have listed and total
cost Including dies and reamer fell just under $1000.00 dollars.with that, if you estimate the labor
you can see that they can be built at a very reasonable price considering what you get.

J E CUSTOM
I have a nice 700 BDL action, I can sell it for $450 anytime I decide to.

I recently ordered two new barrels, I have received one of them. I've got $343 in the one I have received and will have about $125 more than that in the other one, that's $468.

A new stock from Manners or McMillan starts at about $500. You can easily spend another $200 on options.

A Jewell trigger is $230 plus shipping from Midway.

I don't think you are going to get anyone to do a first class build for under $1000 - $1200.

Add it up.

You have wandered away from the OP. He stated "Defiance Action, custom bottom metal". Big difference between those and a stretched out 700 ya' got for $300. (in this part of the world a used 700, one that's not on its' last legs, will run $350-$400). Not to mention the bottom metal. The Rem. factory stuff doesn't really belong on a "custom" (it may not add to the accuracy, but sure adds to the quality). I'm thinkin' Williams, Surgeon, H-S Precision, ect. Price those.

Last edited:
I have recently figured many combinations.
I am looking at a quote from Defiance, it is $1345 with a rail. Add to that $300 for bottom metal, $300-$500 for a barrel, $250 for a trigger, $500-$700 for a stock, and you are right back at About $3000 for the parts to build what I would consider a "custom" rifle.

From looking at parts prices and comparing them to complete rifles, I would assume the builders are buying the parts cheaper than I can. I don't think someone is going to build and sell a rifle for the prices I see them being sold for if they are paying the same thing for parts that I have to pay.

There is also some substantial differences in some of the services performed by gunsmiths. I have worked in the service industry for 40 years and as a general rule there is a difference in the quality of a service that is $500 at one place and $200 at another. It seems I almost always like the quality of the more expensive labor.

Bought a Broughton 264 8 twist barrel, sent it to Stiller and had them thread, chamber it to 264 Win Mag, and install on their Predator action. Bought rail and bottom metal from them and installed myself along with Shilen trigger. Bolted everything into an HS Precision stock and started shooting. You can pay a Smith to do it for you but if you're mechanically inclined at all you can do most of it yourself. I did skim bed the action later but I don't think its any more accurate than just bolting in the action and torqueing down.

Stiller Predator action 775.00
Stiller Picatinny 20 MOA rail 50.00
PT&G bottom metal (Stiller) 160.00
Broughton barrel 335.00
Thread and chamber barrel (Stiller) 200.00
HS Precision stock 335.00
Shilen trigger (Midway USA) 89.00
Rifle Basix safety kit ( Midway) 30.00
Misc shipping 50.00
Total 2024.00

Attachments

• rifle pictures 005.jpg
    rifle pictures 005.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 50
This tactical 6.5x47 was built by Jeff Walker at Walker Custom Rifles using my parts. He has built several guns for guys here.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/6-5x47-tactical-tooley-orian-59941/

Tooley action $830, now $900

Stockys LR Bobby Hart Special. Comes with 3 sling studs, inletted, clear coated and recoil pad. For an economy custom build this is a great stock. Here is where you save the big $$$$

This one they sent pillared and they fell out. We had to rebed it. Now they use the bedding blocks which are better $250 when first came out and now cost $300

Pillar Bedding redone $160

Rifle basix trigger $125-140

Kreiger light palma barrel $275 off someone in the internet. new now $325

chambering with my reamer $200

Cutting off barrel and crown $50

Wyatts mag bottom metal $250 retail $300 required minor fitting of the metal and action. tooley has since modified his action bottom to fit so labor was $100

IMO mag bottom metal is the biggest waste of money unless you are building a 100% tactical comp rifle. Costs $300 vs good standard bottom metal at no more than $150 or even single shot for LR hunting rifle. You can run a second shot in a single shot as fast as a mag gun and NO ONE here is using mag guns for anything realistically requiring mags other than a couple tactical comp shooters.

20 MOA base $65

TPS rings $60

This gun will shoot with any other custom at any price!

Lot of money was saved on the stock! Using a blank, inletting, bedding, studs, recoil pad and any finish can easily run to $1000-1400 depending on stock.

BH

Last edited:
Its a pretty simple answer really. They are professionals and are trying to earn a living. Every company needs to make a profit to succeed. the internet has become a bitch for companys trying to do this. Pretty soon there wont be craftsmanship and everything will be bought online with instructions. Thats when it gets scary.

I built my custom rifle when I was out of work, so I bought a barrel and sent it to Jim See at Centershot rifles to be chambered and braked and installed. He suggested certain things be done to the action, but only did what I thought necessary. I did my own extended magazine and changed the scope mounting screws to 8-32 in the receiver and the EGW rail myself. Sent a hunk of desert ironwood to Joel Russo to be carved out and sent back to me for final fit and devcon bedded and auto clear finish.
I eventually bought a Bobby Hart LRT stock from stockys to use for hunting so I don't ding up my Joel Russo stock. It was a very nice stock for the money. Fit and finish was a 99 out of 100. I ended up buying another one for my Rem 700 SPS tactical. For 188 bucks they can't be beat.
So you can pick and choose and still have a custom rifle without spending a fortune. I am more than satisfied with mine.
Tarey

As I see some of the prices mentioned for parts and labor I wish I could charge that and sleep at night. I've built several turn key rifles with optics ( Nightforce, Leupold, Sightron, etc.) and my most expensive one was a little over $4000. I see several rifles today that are $5 - $6 K or more and no optics. ***!? I'm not sure how much other smiths check out other smiths websites, but I do to make sure my prices I feel are fair, are similar to other smiths that do similar work as me, and to see who's gauging. I can tell you from over hundreds of custom builds that I've done since 2003, when I get the question "how much does a custom rifle cost"? The answer is never the same. On average with a custom action, Brux barrel blank, PTG bottom metal, Mcmillan stock, misc. little parts and all the labor involved you'll spend about $2800 on average for one of my custom builds. Sometimes more, sometimes less depending on components. I have a full price list on my website that if you know what needs to be done to have a custom rifle built you can add all the charges up and get a **** close total cost of labor, then add in the parts. As a smith I'm eligible for some dealer pricing. Do I make money on some parts?, hell yes. It's not much, but as written before we as smiths don't do this to get rich, we do this because we love to do what we do, or at least we should. Some companies that supply us with custom parts don't offer dealer pricing, (I won't mention any names) This is really tough as I have to spend the time to order the parts, receive the parts, inventory them and quality check them and all this to not make one single dollar. It may not sound like much but figure 5-7 minutes total to place the order, then 5-7 minutes to unpack and inventory. That's 10-15 minutes at least of lost time and anywhere from a $5 to $40 in shipping. Figure that a couple times a week and it starts to add up to lost time and money Thankfully some mfg's give us dealer pricing and this offsets the lost time we have to order parts, take phone calls and answer e-mails. I've always itemized my invoices so the constomer can see what each item cost and how much labor was to perform a specific task. I've tried a few different pricing ways in the past and because this is all custom work and normally not a standard a package deal I keep coming back to the itemized price list. It makes life easier for me and the customer can see exactly what their being charged for. As your original post stated you were looking at prices that started at $3500. Check out my build reputation here and on other sites of the quality of work I do and the customer service I give, then shoot me an e-mail or give me a call and I'd be more than happy to work with you on getting you the perfect custom rifle for a fair price.

so I am going to show my ignorance here and try not to offende anyone.. I am kicking the idea around of selling my Ruger no.1 7mmstw and building something custom. I am looking at many of the sponsers here and the rifles seem to start at around $3500.00+. Now I am not saying that they are not worth that but I am curious why they cost so much. Here is what I have so far.

Defiance action around $1000.00
kreiger Barrel $300.00
Laminated stock with bedding block $300.00
trigger $200.00
Bottom plate dependds but we'll say $200.00
install barrel (most gunsmith prices I have found) $350.00

totals at $2350

so lets say $2500

what do rifle makers do for that extra $1000.00 ??? Is there a lot of accuracy work involved? I would think not if you are buying an aftermarket precision action.

Help me out here I don't want to goof up :)

You're exactly right. You don't need to pay a gunsmith to slap it together. You can do like several of us here on LRH have done.

Just add $4k for a low end lathe and $4k for tooling and build it yourself for about $10.5k.

Don't forget that the tools and consumables such as bits, cutting fluids, etc don't last forever.

It'll take you just as long to build it. But, you can watch the plan come together and if you don't like the results, you have only yourself to blame.

In all sincerity, the smiths that frequent this forum do great work for a fair price.

JMO
-- richard

You're exactly right. You don't need to pay a gunsmith to slap it together. You can do like several of us here on LRH have done.

Just add $4k for a low end lathe and $4k for tooling and build it yourself for about $10.5k.

Don't forget that the tools and consumables such as bits, cutting fluids, etc don't last forever.

It'll take you just as long to build it. But, you can watch the plan come together and if you don't like the results, you have only yourself to blame.

In all sincerity, the smiths that frequent this forum do great work for a fair price.

JMO
-- richard

Like I previously stated I never thought the prices weren't worth the work. I own my own plumbing business so I understand the concept of overhead. My equipment is very expensive. My question was why they are $1000.00 over the price of what I can get the parts and pay them to do what I can't. I wanted to know what that money went to. I don't need $10000 worth of equipment if I pay them to do the barrel work and chambering. There's been many good explanations as to this cost and they mainly seem to stem around the stock. I now have a better grasp as to what SOME of the $$$ goes towards. I understand we all have to make a living. I am constantly struggling with my prices to give my customers the best bang for their buck. If there is one thing I have learned it's that there is a fine line between making a living and ripping people off :) Now after saying that if people are comfortable paying high prices for things it usually means the work is worth the $$$. thanks for all the comments

As I see some of the prices mentioned for parts and labor I wish I could charge that and sleep at night. I've built several turn key rifles with optics ( Nightforce, Leupold, Sightron, etc.) and my most expensive one was a little over $4000. I see several rifles today that are $5 - $6 K or more and no optics. ***!? I'm not sure how much other smiths check out other smiths websites, but I do to make sure my prices I feel are fair, are similar to other smiths that do similar work as me, and to see who's gauging. I can tell you from over hundreds of custom builds that I've done since 2003, when I get the question "how much does a custom rifle cost"? The answer is never the same. On average with a custom action, Brux barrel blank, PTG bottom metal, Mcmillan stock, misc. little parts and all the labor involved you'll spend about $2800 on average for one of my custom builds. Sometimes more, sometimes less depending on components. I have a full price list on my website that if you know what needs to be done to have a custom rifle built you can add all the charges up and get a **** close total cost of labor, then add in the parts. As a smith I'm eligible for some dealer pricing. Do I make money on some parts?, hell yes. It's not much, but as written before we as smiths don't do this to get rich, we do this because we love to do what we do, or at least we should. Some companies that supply us with custom parts don't offer dealer pricing, (I won't mention any names) This is really tough as I have to spend the time to order the parts, receive the parts, inventory them and quality check them and all this to not make one single dollar. It may not sound like much but figure 5-7 minutes total to place the order, then 5-7 minutes to unpack and inventory. That's 10-15 minutes at least of lost time and anywhere from a $5 to $40 in shipping. Figure that a couple times a week and it starts to add up to lost time and money Thankfully some mfg's give us dealer pricing and this offsets the lost time we have to order parts, take phone calls and answer e-mails. I've always itemized my invoices so the constomer can see what each item cost and how much labor was to perform a specific task. I've tried a few different pricing ways in the past and because this is all custom work and normally not a standard a package deal I keep coming back to the itemized price list. It makes life easier for me and the customer can see exactly what their being charged for. As your original post stated you were looking at prices that started at $3500. Check out my build reputation here and on other sites of the quality of work I do and the customer service I give, then shoot me an e-mail or give me a call and I'd be more than happy to work with you on getting you the perfect custom rifle for a fair price.

I have always admired your rifles and now that I know the price is within my ball park I will be giving you a call when i am ready!! thanks

As I see some of the prices mentioned for parts and labor I wish I could charge that and sleep at night.
Thru the years, I've heard comments similar to this so many times I consider it a cliche. I think those making such comments are being disingenuous. I believe the reason a person charges $100 for something is because they think they wouldn't get enough business if they charged more. I think you need to be candid and honest but I see nothing wrong with charging whatever you can get. I don't care what someone charges for something as long as I have the option of not buying it.

Thru the years, I've heard comments similar to this so many times I consider it a cliche. I think those making such comments are being disingenuous. I believe the reason a person charges $100 for something is because they think they wouldn't get enough business if they charged more. I think you need to be candid and honest but I see nothing wrong with charging whatever you can get. I don't care what someone charges for something as long as I have the option of not buying it.

WOW! I better tell my smith he's not charging enough and stop lying to me for the past fiftheen years and the rest of his customers.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.