Why 1:11 twist for 30-06?

I don't know the answer to your question but I just checked the CIP and the SAAMI specs. They both show a 10" twist for a 30-06.

Europeans are not particularly into long range shooting. The American West has been long range shooting for years. The 10 twist is needed to stabilize heavy for caliber bullets, which is about anything over 180 Gr.

In Europe they shoot a lot of 160 Gr. type stuff. And are more concerned with a flat trajectory.

The 11 twist stabilizes the 160 ~ 180 gr. very well. AND gives them a little more speed because of 11 twist doesn't cause a much resistance in the barrel. This gives them a flatter trajectory. But it is not much, maybe about 40 FPS if that.

OK this makes sense.

Probably comes down to ammo sales.
Sako looked at what most are using for the 30-06 as a hunting cartridge which it has evolved to after the 1940s. The most popular bullet cartridge combo sold for the 30-06 or most popular combo ever sold PERIOD in any cartridge for that matter, is probably a 180 grain soft point in 30-06. Second would be a 165 grain. That would make a 1-11 twist ideal for the majority of 30-06 owners. Like others have said though, the 30-06 is so much more when a 1-10 twist and a 200 plus grain bullets are used.
I got some 200s I was going to load, maybe use for black bear. Up close over bait.

Though I would day 180 and 150 are two most popular. I don't know one, other than forums using 165.

You think a $1500 Sako is to cheap, to update? Cheapest I have seen is $850 Tikka. Also I don't believe the company is that old.

I am not buying this.

It's not what I think, it's what THEY think. And yes. they do think that either A) their crap don't stink, and they know what's best, or B) it costs too much to update their tooling.

These big manufacturers don't give a F what you or I think. They just care about the green ($$$).

They were 1 in 10 , 1 in 11 is a new thing . It's salesmanship mainly . Most people equate 1 in 11 with target accuracy and not over stabilizing the bullet .
Ballistic advantage is slight .
It may not stabilize some of the very long bullets that are available now it's hard to say without modeling it but it would stabilize most being hard driven .
Sako is doing a few dumb things because they are being run by a shot gun manufacture not a rifle maker . Tell me one great rifle that the Italians ever made ?
I can't think of one and don't say 6.5 Carcano it was cheap rough junk .
It will reduce it's appeal somewhat in some countries but for the avrage hunter it will work ok . I will not go less than 1 in 10 in a 308 or 30-06 as it still stabilizes shorter bullets well at subsonic velocities . Not sure 1 in 11 would .

T

Sako is doing a few dumb things because they are being run by a shot gun manufacture not a rifle maker . Tell me one great rifle that the Italians ever made ?

The Finss were making rifles before the Italians bought them.

Some people seem to think the Sakos are one of the more accurate rifles from the factory right now. Some people here don't seem to like them.

My guess was they were building it to stabilize a certain grain. Maybe marketing ploy. I have read 1:10 will work for 200 grain and maybe 220. But you would struggle to find any factory ammo in that weight. So maybe they figured why make a twist that will fire something no one is using.

One thing I like about them, is the quite safeties. I can't understand why more companies don't make a quite safety. 700s suck. Kimbers suck. Savages are little better. But Sakos are quite.

Their magazines lock tight.

Mixed feeling on being made in Finland, and not USA. I won't buy Brownings, made in Japan.

1:10 has been around forever. So 1:11 is either an improvement, or a marketing ploy. Always room to improve something.

Zerk,

I think you have been given as good an explanation as possible from all the previous posts.

In my opinion there is no good reason for going with an 11" twist. Todays bullets are much better made than in previous times and do not have trouble with the mythic over stabilizing. Also there are very few bullets that can't hold up to the extra twist. There once were bullets that would separate in flight due to the extra twist, not really anymore.

There is no improvement by the manufacture changing from 10" to 11" twist. This was a poor decision. An 11" twist gives no perceivable performance increase over a 10" or a 9" for that matter. In fact from our terminal performance testing the faster twist barrels give better terminal performance on impact than the slower twist with the same bullet.

The Sako and Tikka are nice factory rifles. As long as you run bullets that are fully stable for the twist they will work well for you.

Steve

Berger website has reference guide for what bullet and what twist
For 185 they recommend 1:12. They recommend 1:10 for 210 grains.

What I was looking for is what grain are they building for.

No expert but in general I am always weary of "that's the way we always did it".

Tikka also makes 1:10 in 30-06. So much for the theory those evil corporate buggers to cheap to change from 1:11, to 1:10.

Berger website has reference guide for what bullet and what twist
For 185 they recommend 1:12. They recommend 1:10 for 210 grains.

What I was looking for is what grain are they building for.

No expert but in general I am always weary of "that's the way we always did it".

You can use this

Twist Rate Stability Calculator | Berger Bullets

This is list of Berger target/hunting and includes 30 cal bullets that they recommend for 1/11 twist barrels
All Bullets | Berger Bullets

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts