Why 1:11 twist for 30-06?

Zerk

Sako and Tikka have a 1:11 twist for their 30-06s. What is the advantage, and what is their target bullet? Most are 1:10.

Are they optimizing this for something specific, or just European way of making it?

I am not shooting far, so I shoot 180 grain. I may switch someday, I realize I really don't need 180. But I have alot of 180 bullets stocked up.

Because back in the day they didn't have long heavy high-BC bullets (like we do today), and most .30-06 shooters only shot 185 grain, or lighter, bullets. Also, their barrel rifling tooling is setup to make 1:11 twist .30 caliber barrels, and it costs ALOT of money to swap up that tooling for 1:10"... Most manufacturers are too cheap to spend the money to modernize their factory barrels to be compatible with today's bullets.

Sadly, it basically comes down to stiff-wallet suits who don't want to spend the extra capital...Even though, if they did, they would sell even more guns.

imo they aren't looking at the rifle as a long range tool, so they sell them with a twist appropriate for mid weight bullets... Same for 10" twist 270's and 25 cal rifles, when some of the better bullets really can use a bit more twist...

imo they aren't looking at the rifle as a long range tool, so they sell them with a twist appropriate for mid weight bullets... .

What are you calling midweight? 180, with 200 or 220 heavy. 150 light and 180 heavy?

It is hard to really get to root of this. I have spent some time googling it.

1:10 is standard for a very long time, and what people think of for 30-06s. Since Sako are higher end.

Looked it up, started in 1921. Older than I thought. Not making the early 30-06s, but still probably not alot of changes by 1921, that I know of.

Is it a matter of bullet quality, or weight, shape, and length? Does the rifling really know expansion or metal used?

Many of the .30/06 shooters chose to shoot 185g and lighter bullets. The reasoning behind it is pretty simple. First, most average .30/06 shooters rarely, if ever, shoot a .30/06 farther than 700 yards, ever. Secondly, you would have to shoot beyond that range before the heavier bullets begin to hold an advantage in trajectory and energy over the 185g class bullets. So if you aren't ever planning to shoot beyond 700, let alone take game at that range a 185g is a logical choice. It is a fitting tool for the planned use of the rifle.
A 10 twist opens up a whole class of bullets 200g and heavier that prior to the VLD hunting bullets were usually round nose ballistic turds intended for taking elk, moose and the like inside of 300 yards or punching paper if they were not. Most guys with .30/06 rifles seldom, if ever bothered with them as there was no advantage to be had.
Now, the slick, heavy for caliber bullets and rangefinders make 1,000 yards with the the old .30/06 a predictable and downright easy tool to well beyond that even on steel.

I am slow.

Why 1:11 instead 1:10 for 30-06? That is my question.

Europeans are not particularly into long range shooting. The American West has been long range shooting for years. The 10 twist is needed to stabilize heavy for caliber bullets, which is about anything over 180 Gr.

In Europe they shoot a lot of 160 Gr. type stuff. And are more concerned with a flat trajectory.

The 11 twist stabilizes the 160 ~ 180 gr. very well. AND gives them a little more speed because of 11 twist doesn't cause a much resistance in the barrel. This gives them a flatter trajectory. But it is not much, maybe about 40 FPS if that.

What are you calling midweight? 180, with 200 or 220 heavy. 150 light and 180 heavy?

It is hard to really get to root of this. I have spent some time googling it.

1:10 is standard for a very long time, and what people think of for 30-06s. Since Sako are higher end.

Looked it up, started in 1921. Older than I thought. Not making the early 30-06s, but still probably not alot of changes by 1921, that I know of.

IMHO, mid-weight is 180-190 grains.

We might be looking at two different standards here; 1:10 here in the US market and 1:11" (Sauer makes them in 1:11" too) in the EU market. My SAKO M995 in .300 WM has 1:11" twist and propels the 190 Berger at 3043 FPS.

You are correct, they have been around for a while >>> Sako history | SAKO.

Probably comes down to ammo sales.
Sako looked at what most are using for the 30-06 as a hunting cartridge which it has evolved to after the 1940s. The most popular bullet cartridge combo sold for the 30-06 or most popular combo ever sold PERIOD in any cartridge for that matter, is probably a 180 grain soft point in 30-06. Second would be a 165 grain. That would make a 1-11 twist ideal for the majority of 30-06 owners. Like others have said though, the 30-06 is so much more when a 1-10 twist and a 200 plus grain bullets are used.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.