Who's Made Their Own Stock?

The 4-16X50 got replaced for having a dust nib in it. Nikon just mailed me the replacement and upgraded it to the Monarch 3 with the new reset turrets for no charge. AWESOME customer service. I put a Monarch 3 2.5-10X42mm on the .308 and it is now closer to the CZ with the Monarch 2-8X32mm. I'm considering cutting the barrel down to 20" to make it even lighter and handier just like my little CZ. The 7Mag has a 26" barrel and is my dedicated long range rig. Trying to tailor the .308 to a lightweight short-mid range deer/pig gun.

all I can say is WOW, my complements to all of you who have done this. I have a x-p in 35rem that I want to turn into a 284 it is in the original plastic stock at this time. time will tell, but I will never have the time to do this quality of stock for it.

Lots of very god advice here. All I can add is, if you don't already have 'em, get a good set of cabinet scrapers. IMO, there's no way to prepare for a top quality finish without those. For a finisih, look into the French Polish method. It's gorgeous.

davkrat , That is a very good post !!!!!!

Nothing like pictures to show your work.

That is almost the same way I do mine. And you do nice work.

Thanks for the pictures.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks. Agreed that pictures of the steps are the only way to explain the steps. The best advice is to do the inletting while you still have square sides to try and ensure that your holes are bored straight through. After that I relied heavily on the negative space filling ability of epoxy. Using forstner bits in a drill press combined with chisels to form an oversized cavity and allowing the epoxy to fill in the space is the only way I can do it. I don't really do any carving but lots of wood working. Good chisels that you know how to keep sharp are a must. Just don't let your wife know that each of those sharpened screw drivers cost you $60 a piece LOL!

Grinding/sanding the butt stock down was by far the most difficult part to get close to right. Mine still needs work. The finish I use for everything is an oil varnish blend. Multiple light coats that are wiped off, kind of similar to a French polish. Now that it is nice and dry I intend to try my hand at checkering. We'll see how that goes...

ps- If you do it the way I did and get some nice thick 4/4 boards (not that preplaned barely 3/4" thick stuff from Home Depot) you can practice on a fairly inexpensive board. The piece of walnut I used for this stock cost me less than $35 I still have some left for other wood working projects. You can also alter the grain pattern for a little more stability.

Thanks Davkrat,
A great contribution to the thread and inspirational.
I have read a few times that the inletting is best done first. It totally makes sense now.
I am going to look at some ripple Sycamore and Maple on Monday so will be dying to get started soon.:)

Here is a stock that I made for my Savage 110. The wood is African Mahogany. I made a pattern from the factory sporter stock, found a picture of the stock that I wanted to make (at Russo Rifle Stocks), then made changes to the sporter pattern until I was satisfied with the design. All work was done with a router, drill, dremel, wood plane, rasps, a belt sander, and hand sanding. The finish is hand rubbed tung oil. After I was satisfied with the stock, I pillar bedded the action to the stock.

Attachments

• NewStock1_zps61eba9c1.jpg
    NewStock1_zps61eba9c1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 86
  • NewStock2_zps7937bd50.jpg
    NewStock2_zps7937bd50.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 99
Here is a stock that I made for my Savage 110. The wood is African Mahogany. I made a pattern from the factory sporter stock, found a picture of the stock that I wanted to make (at Russo Rifle Stocks), then made changes to the sporter pattern until I was satisfied with the design. All work was done with a router, drill, dremel, wood plane, rasps, a belt sander, and hand sanding. The finish is hand rubbed tung oil. After I was satisfied with the stock, I pillar bedded the action to the stock.

Very nice!

I have made a few for me and my friends. It is super fun. Inletting takes the most time and can get a little frustrating. I recommend glass and pillar bedding, 6mmbr has a really good instructional. I have used mostly walnut, though I did a modular stock out of cherry and I have a piece of myrtle wood now.

It is fun read lots and dig in.

IMG_0205.JPG

IMG_1575.jpg

The stocks I made for my buddies are straight spotters
If you have questions shoot me a PM. I am not a pro but I'd be happy to help.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.