Which would you choose?

Elk season in Colorado is almost here and I have a question for you, just for fun. Which cartridge and bullet combo would you choose for Bull elk to 400 yards? The 2 rifles in my safe that are up to bat are

A 6.5 PRC running a 140 Berger VLD at 3020 fps. I have ultimate confidence in this rifle and its accuracy to 625 yards using a Leupold CDS turret cut for my load. I will be using this rifle on a mule deer hunt in about 3 weeks and hope to get my first animal with it, a big giant high country buck!

Or

A 280AI running a 168 Berger Classic Hunter at 2900 fps or a 143 Hammer Hunter at 3120 fps.

I have had success with the Ackley and Hammers last year on 2 Elk so I have no doubt in it capabilities. I also have no doubt the PRC will do the job with a 140 VLD. I'm not really asking for advise just cant decided which rifle/bullet to grab! I feel all three loads are pretty dang close with the edge going to the 143 Hammer.

So what do you think? Which rifle would you grab and which bullet?

Sykes, IMO, when it comes to hunting elk, bigger is better (within reason)......"There is no substitute for cubic inches"! Hunt with the 280 AI, using the Hammers! memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.